Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Tongsheng TSDZ2 Mid Drive install

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Old 10-03-19, 09:59 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts

Finished up installing a TSDZ2 kit, purchased from EcoCycles in Nashville, on my wife's bile. Installation was straight forward with only 2 issues requiring thought and a bit of extra work. First, the bracket that is designed to prevent the motor from rotating would not fit due to the kickstand mounting plate. I ended up fabricating a small aluminum bracket that could be bolted to the motor and then fixed to a longer bolt through the kickstand (see pic below). This works very well and also allows retention of the original kickstand. The other issue was mounting the battery on the downtube. Of course the holes on the battery mount plate did not line up with the bike's bottle cage mount; however I used a WolfTooth 3 slot B-RAD plate; which allowed great adjustability in position. The battery mount plate mounted with only the two screws provided so I opened up the wiring cover and drilled a third hole through the metal plate to match the lower threaded hole on the B-RAD plate. This made the mount much more stable. An unexpected surprise was how much room there was under the plastic wiring cover. I was able to use that space to contain all of the excess wiring.

We've done a number of rides and she is definitely happy with the performance. Initially it was pedal assist only; however I later added a thumb throttle. She uses it sparingly but likes it because it allows her to scoot quickly when crossing roads.

Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 10-03-19, 12:13 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Nice!
Old 10-04-19, 07:53 AM
fly135

Bikes: iZip E3 Peak DS, Magnum Metro, GT Tachyon, K2 Sidewinder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
Scoot'n across the road is pretty much all I use the throttle for on my Metro.
Old 09-11-20, 09:51 AM
danh123

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I see the side bolt that goes through kickstand to the motor but does the screw going down also attach to the motor? I can't tell from the picture but it doesn't look like you used that piece that goes up through the chainstays.

I just built one also.

​​​​​​​
Old 09-12-20, 07:13 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by danh123
I see the side bolt that goes through kickstand to the motor but does the screw going down also attach to the motor? I can't tell from the picture but it doesn't look like you used that piece that goes up through the chainstays.
No, I didn't use the anchor toggle provided. The bike has a flat kickstand plate welded into the frame that I would have had to modify to fit the bolt through. It just seemed easier to me to fabricate a small angle bracket to use with the kickstand bolt. IYour bike had plenty of room between the chainstays and bridge to use the supplied toggle, so all good.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 09-14-20, 10:57 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
nice build danh123
I bought a bike almost identical to that (same color/vintage) to use as an ebike, but I liked the bike so much that I left it analogue. Currently using a CX style bike, as I love riding round here on 40mm tires much more than 25mm tires. Don't know if I've ever seen another good drop bar build. Looks nice!
Old 09-21-20, 08:02 AM
danh123

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
nice build danh123
I bought a bike almost identical to that (same color/vintage) to use as an ebike, but I liked the bike so much that I left it analogue. Currently using a CX style bike, as I love riding round here on 40mm tires much more than 25mm tires. Don't know if I've ever seen another good drop bar build. Looks nice!
Thanks. It worked out pretty well. There are a few things I need to figure out. Display and motor seem to turn off every 20 minutes or so and because of the way I had to mount the display I have to stop to turn it back on most of the time. The chain falls off when shifting about once per ride too so I need to do something about that.
Old 09-22-20, 11:57 AM
Aquakitty
Canadian Chick

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by danh123
Thanks. It worked out pretty well. There are a few things I need to figure out. Display and motor seem to turn off every 20 minutes or so and because of the way I had to mount the display I have to stop to turn it back on most of the time. The chain falls off when shifting about once per ride too so I need to do something about that.
Hmm well (obviously) that ain't normal. Sounds like you could have a connection issue to the battery. Maybe check all connections, and check where the battery itself connects to the battery mount. On one of my bikes the mount pins became oxidized. You can prevent this by making sure the battery is off (if it has a switch) before removing it. Again no idea if this is relevant in your case but thought I would mention.

As for the chain issue all you can do there is either space out your rear cogs a bit (if you have a cassette) or use a chain guide. The seatpost mounted ones work fine for this. Like the ZTTO one that is always around.
Likes For Aquakitty:
Old 03-12-21, 07:56 AM
TSDZ2 ring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi guys, don't you experience wiggle or wobble of the motor?