Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Lock your damn bikes!!!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Lock your damn bikes!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-20, 02:34 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 129 Posts
Lock your damn bikes!!!

"Our bikes were stolen from our back yard!"
"My bike was stolen from my garage."
"My girlfriend's bike was stolen from our storage unit."

OMG the tales of woe from people who have had their bikes stolen just sitting in a garage or back yard. One NextDoor posting said, "My beloved Bianchi was stolen from my side yard...."

Well, if it was so "beloved," why did you leave it unlocked in your back yard? During a pandemic crime spike? IN OAKLAND?!!!!

Please people, get a clue!

And there is no such thing as "a bike too nice to lock!" I'm SO SICK of hearing arrogant cyclists with their "really, really nice bikes" saying theirs is ABOVE locking up, it's just so nice. "I never leave it anywhere!" they say. Really? You sleep with it? Bring it into your office at work? Commute to and from work with your carbon race bike, even though you commute on another bike? Wow, that I'd LOVE to see.

No, bikes are left sitting. This is reality. There is no bike "too nice to lock." The nicer the bike, the better the lock you should be using. Lock your garages and then lock your bikes IN the garage. And if you're like me with about 15 bikes in the garage averaging about three grand each,

And yes, a lot of stolen bikes WERE locked, and often with quality locks. I know even the best locks are quickly defeated by today's portable angle grinders. The exception? Allmax security chains and Squire padlocks. They sell some HUGE ****ers that are indeed grinder proof. But at $750 and 60 pounds, they aren't something to bring to the cafe!

University metallurgists in the UK developed "Proteus," a supposedly grinder-proof ceramic composite. They are letting some security companies work with the material, so let's hope some new bike locks are forthcoming.

In the mean time, make your bikes hard to steal. Don't make yourself an easy target.

Last edited by BillyD; 09-22-20 at 08:29 PM.
Likes For LV2TNDM:
Old 09-22-20, 02:38 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
paint it camo & no one will see it, not even the owner.
Old 09-22-20, 02:39 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Suddenly those handlebar bag rant threads are looking more attractive.
Old 09-22-20, 02:45 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
I recently finished a 9 day tour across PA. Camped 6 of the 8 nights. Locked the bike one night. Never locked it while grocery shopping. That’s pretty much SOP when I tour.

I had a bike stolen from inside my house while I was home and awake.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-22-20, 03:06 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I recently finished a 9 day tour across PA. Camped 6 of the 8 nights. Locked the bike one night. Never locked it while grocery shopping. That’s pretty much SOP when I tour.

I had a bike stolen from inside my house while I was home and awake.
You need a pit bull.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 09-22-20, 03:10 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
You need a pit bull.
Yeah. The cat proved useless, but he did scare the pants off the cop one he finally arrived an hour after the burglar had left.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-22-20, 03:13 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
paint it camo & no one will see it, not even the owner.
That's what the photographers with the $6000 Leica cameras do - they put a piece of tape over the logo so everyone thinks it's invisible!!
Old 09-22-20, 03:46 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
Originally Posted by LV2TNDM
Well, if it was so "beloved," why did you leave it unlocked in your back yard? During a pandemic crime spike? IN OAKLAND?!!!! Please people, get a clue! And there is no such thing as "a bike too nice to lock!" I'm SO SICK of hearing arrogant cyclists with their "really, really nice bikes" saying theirs is ABOVE locking up, it's just so nice. "I never leave it anywhere!" they say. Really? You sleep with it? Bring it into your office at work? Commute to and from work with your carbon race bike, even though you commute on another bike? Wow, that I'd LOVE to see.
Maybe try decaf.

I never lock any of my bikes outside my home. Yes, they are "too nice." I'm either on it, it's beside me, or close-by. And I live car-free.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 09-22-20, 03:55 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9652 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
Most garage thefts are a result of leaving the door open. Don't leave the door open. "Open" includes one that is easy to open from the outside, whether the garage door or a separate side door.

Here is something I learned from our local police chief - don't leave your garage door opener visible inside your car that is parked in your driveway or on the street. Thieves will walk through neighborhoods looking for them. When they see one, they will pop out a window, and then use the opener to access the house or garage.
Old 09-22-20, 03:58 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts

OMG the tales of woe from people who have had their bikes stolen just sitting......................................................................................
Sigh..

Methinks you've been eating to much red meat.
Likes For fishboat:
Old 09-22-20, 03:58 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
That's what the photographers with the $6000 Leica cameras do - they put a piece of tape over the logo so everyone thinks it's invisible!!
I've been involved in photography for a lot of years with Canon professional bodies and big white lenses that cost much more than that, and have never seen anyone tape over the name. Even if you cover the brand, it wouldn't matter. Just don't leave your stuff laying around unattended.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 09-22-20, 04:04 PM
fujidon

Bikes: Fuji Pro, Raleigh Team, touring bike, hybrid

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Most garage thefts are a result of leaving the door open. Don't leave the door open. "Open" includes one that is easy to open from the outside, whether the garage door or a separate side door.

Here is something I learned from our local police chief - don't leave your garage door opener visible inside your car that is parked in your driveway or on the street. Thieves will walk through neighborhoods looking for them. When they see one, they will pop out a window, and then use the opener to access the house or garage.
It's not just visible garage door openers. New cars come with built-in remotes and I'm sure the "bad guys" know this.

That's why my garage door opener is plugged into a smart plug. The smart plug is programmed to only allow power to the garage door opener at the times of my choosing. For example, it's off for most of the night so the remotes wouldn't work even if they broke into the car. I can turn it on/off remotely even when I'm not home.
Old 09-22-20, 04:08 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,860 Times in 6,072 Posts
People are still using their garages for cars? What a concept! Everyone here just parks in the driveway.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-22-20, 04:09 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by fujidon
It's not just visible garage door openers. New cars come with built-in remotes and I'm sure the "bad guys" know this.

That's why my garage door opener is plugged into a smart plug. The smart plug is programmed to only allow power to the garage door opener at the times of my choosing. For example, it's off for most of the night so the remotes wouldn't work even if they broke into the car. I can turn it on/off remotely even when I'm not home.
True if they work with the car power off. We keep our cars with HomeLink in the garage - they never park outside.

Smart plug is a good choice. Another good choice are the smart garage door openers that alert you when they are opened.
Old 09-22-20, 04:13 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts

Likes For phughes:
Old 09-22-20, 04:20 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by genejockey
People are still using their garages for cars? What a concept! Everyone here just parks in the driveway.
Yep, the only time cars are in the drive is if the kids are home or we have guests. We live in one of "those types" of neighborhoods where people park in their garages. Wouldn't have it any other way. I also have one of "those" types of garages where you can walk without getting your feet dirty.

Likes For Mojo31:
Old 09-22-20, 04:28 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,053 Times in 1,074 Posts
Ride your bike. Enjoy. Get where you want to be. That's the point.

Lock it it not, live with the consequences.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 09-22-20, 04:37 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts

OMG the tales of woe from people who have had their bikes stolen just sitting in a garage or back yard. One NextDoor posting said, "My beloved Bianchi was stolen from my side yard...."

Well, if it was so "beloved," why did you leave it unlocked in your back yard? During a pandemic crime spike? IN OAKLAND?!!!!

And there is no such thing as "a bike too nice to lock!" I'm SO SICK of hearing arrogant cyclists with their "really, really nice bikes" saying theirs is ABOVE locking up, it's just so nice. "I never leave it anywhere!" they say. Really? You sleep with it? Bring it into your office at work? Commute to and from work with your carbon race bike, even though you commute on another bike? Wow, that I'd LOVE to see.

No, bikes are left sitting. This is reality. There is no bike "too nice to lock." The nicer the bike, the better the lock you should be using. Lock your garages and then lock your bikes IN the garage. And if you're like me with about 15 bikes in the garage averaging about three grand each,

And yes, a lot of stolen bikes WERE locked, and often with quality locks. I know even the best locks are quickly defeated by today's portable angle grinders. The exception? Allmax security chains and Squire padlocks. They sell some HUGE ****ers that are indeed grinder proof. But at $750 and 60 pounds, they aren't something to bring to the cafe!

University metallurgists in the UK developed "Proteus," a supposedly grinder-proof ceramic composite. They are letting some security companies work with the material, so let's hope some new bike locks are forthcoming.

In the mean time, make your bikes hard to steal. Don't make yourself an easy target.
You can pick bike locks faster than you can angle grind them.

Commuting to werk, I'd never leave a bike outside unattended even on a busy street in a populated area

https://www.youtube.com/c/lockpickin...ry=bike%20lock

Last edited by Homebrew01; 09-23-20 at 07:02 PM.
Likes For Marcus_Ti:
Old 09-22-20, 04:44 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts

with that many bikes in your garage, someone saw a gold mine and you are now a target. They will probably be back for more bikes and thief’s will always find a way if they want it bad enough.

Last edited by Homebrew01; 09-23-20 at 07:03 PM.
Old 09-22-20, 04:55 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Yep, the only time cars are in the drive is if the kids are home or we have guests. We live in one of "those types" of neighborhoods where people park in their garages. Wouldn't have it any other way. I also have one of "those" types of garages where you can walk without getting your feet dirty.

That looks exhausting, but everyone needs a hobby.

"Here lies mojo. He kept his garage floor spotless." For sure how I want to be remembered.**
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-22-20, 05:16 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
That looks exhausting, but everyone needs a hobby.

"Here lies mojo. He kept his garage floor spotless." For sure how I want to be remembered.**
Lol.

It’s not hard to maintain. Gets blown out with a leaf blower from time to time, and a mopping every few months. Takes about 2 to 3 hours a year to keep nice. We don’t have snow slush or the weather that gets it really dirty.
Old 09-22-20, 05:19 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Lol.

It’s not hard to maintain. Gets blown out with a leaf blower from time to time, and a mopping every few months. Takes about 2 to 3 hours a year to keep nice. We don’t have snow slush or the weather that gets it really dirty.
I'm really just being sarcastic because I'm jealous.
Ours is perpetually full of dirt from cars, dirt from bikes, dirt from horse barn items, leaves, and melted grit during the winter.
Old 09-22-20, 05:25 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,860 Times in 6,072 Posts
Ours is perpetually full of dirt from cars, dirt from bikes, dirt from horse barn items, leaves, and melted grit during the winter.
Whereas I live in the Bay Area, where the houses are small and ungodly expensive, so we use our garages as an extra room, while our cars sit in the driveway.

Anyway, mine is theoretically a 2 car garage, but it's too short and too narrow to house two of most actual cars. Maybe a pair of Fits?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-22-20, 05:28 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 534 Posts
My bikes go in the basement when not being used, if they get stolen I’ve got bigger problems then a missing bike. All my rides start and end at my house, or my car, not dragging a lock around with me. And by chance, I get bikejacked, or one does somehow get stolen, it’s just a “thing” easily replaced.
Tim
Old 09-22-20, 05:28 PM
Mojo31
-------

I took it that way (sarcasm). I always wanted a nice 3 car garage, and when we got this house I had a nice floor coating put on. Our weather is mild year round and our trees are mostly evergreen, so it stays pretty clean. Empty nesters, so no kid junk filling it up either. We keep it such that we can keep all three cars inside.

now I want a four car garage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.