Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Hydraulic Disc brakes problems

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-23-20, 06:38 PM
msdumo

Bikes: 96 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2002 Norco Avanti, 2017 Norco Malahat, 2021 VoltBike 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I'm the fix it guy in my neighborhood and even though I don't have a bike with hydraulic disc brakes I have had 3 people with fairly new bikes that have lost brakes this summer.

I bleed them and all is good. I have a theory. They transport or store them upside down horizontally in a garage or on a roof car top carrier.

My theory is when a bike is upside down and if there is air in the reservoir which might be low on fluid, the air makes its way up to the caliper because of the upside down position.
Air in the caliper results in a brake loss. Bleeding the brake corrects the problem.

Does my theory hold water?
Old 09-23-20, 06:53 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
Yes.

I only have one bike with hydro's but I've heard this for years.

I'm sure some brands are more affected than others but you're on the right track.

I use the same upside-down hooks but add a loop of rope to them to allow upright hanging. Probably not a big deal for a quick flip but if stored a while, worse.

Have you even laid a bottle of mineral oil on its side, it will definitely leak. Doesn't matter how tight the cap is on. How are the seals on the levers much different?
Old 09-23-20, 07:15 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by msdumo
Does my theory hold water?
Yes, but you shouldn't need to give them a full-on bleed every time. Orient the bike in a stand such that the brake line is constantly running uphill from the caliper to the lever, so that there's no trap for the bubbles to get stuck in. Give the lever quick, vigorous flicks. Most of the time, this'll be enough to get the air back up in to the reservoirs in the levers (air in there is normal).

And tell them to stop putting their bikes upside down (the Shimano manual specifically mentions this).
Old 09-23-20, 07:43 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I hope not. Water would be bad.

Joking aside... Yes any air in the system would migrate to the high point. In normal orientation the high point is the caliper lever. Any air is supposed to migrate back to the lever after a few pumps, where it's vented behind the piston into the reservoir by ports.

Hydraulic brakes are pretty simple, arguably simpler than cable disc brakes.
https://www.servicearchive.sram.com/..._brake_v06.pdf
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 09-24-20 at 10:32 AM. Reason: oops
Old 09-24-20, 09:59 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Yes any air in the system would migrate to the high point. In normal orientation the high point is the caliper.
Huh? Isn't caliper the thingy that holds and activates the pistons that push the pads against the rotor? They are the low point on an upright bicycle. Normal orientation is upright bicycle, no? I guess you mean an upside down bike...
Old 09-24-20, 10:21 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 376 Times in 210 Posts
Yup, and very common with Shimano rear brakes. An easy test is to lift the front wheel up so that the bike is nearly completely vertical. Engage the rear brake, if it is non functional or very soft, that is a classic sign you need to do a quick burp and fill. Very easy to do and takes minutes.
Old 09-24-20, 10:26 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuckles1
Huh? Isn't caliper the thingy that holds and activates the pistons that push the pads against the rotor? They are the low point on an upright bicycle. Normal orientation is upright bicycle, no? I guess you mean an upside down bike...
You are correct, I miswrote
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 09-24-20 at 11:29 AM.
Old 09-24-20, 03:09 PM
superpletch
faster downhill

Bikes: more than my wife can keep track of

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
if the hydraulic system is properly bled there should be no air in the system and air will not find its way into the system unless there is a leak. a properly bled system should be virtually maintenance free unless you decide to open the system to change the hydraulic fluid.

I think your theory is full of holes, or the bikes hydraulic system was bled poorly from day 1
Old 09-24-20, 04:02 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I had Avid Juicy brakes that did this if you flipped the bike over to work on it or something. But then it would recover (to its usual lousy state). My XT and Ultegras don't do this.
Old 09-24-20, 08:03 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by superpletch
if the hydraulic system is properly bled there should be no air in the system and air will not find its way into the system unless there is a leak. a properly bled system should be virtually maintenance free unless you decide to open the system to change the hydraulic fluid.

I think your theory is full of holes, or the bikes hydraulic system was bled poorly from day 1
^This^ And of course this post shouldn't be in GD, it should be in 'bicycle mechanics'.
Old 09-24-20, 09:04 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 946 Times in 553 Posts
my jaguars would be mushy for a few squeezes. if you slayed it down or worked on the bike it but it seems normal for them.