Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Should I buy a road bike?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Should I buy a road bike?

Old 09-25-20, 01:07 PM
bcpriess

Bikes: Masi Giramondo, Trek 830 monstercross build, Raleigh Gran Sport, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by tankist
These are all personal preferences, not absolute facts. I, for one, want an efficient sporty bike to ride on asphalt. And I want it to be clean. But I do not push my personal tastes on everybody here.
​​​​​​
I'm sharing my experience, which is different than pushing my tastes. That said, the asphalt where I live sucks ass, and it is awful to ride with skinny tires, because the city streets are so haphazardly maintained if they're maintained properly at all.
Old 09-25-20, 05:49 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by Mogens
Preference, I guess. But I'm just trying to push back on the idea that road bikes can't handle some dirt roads, crushed limestone, etc. I'm thinking of someone in particular who recently bought a gravel bike because they didn't think they could use their bike on rail trails. Gravel bikes have a role to play, but they're being a little over marketed I think.
I road bike on rail trails 50% of the time. biggest issue I've been experiencing is the need to deep clean it after the ride is finished.
Old 10-08-20, 06:42 AM
steve198

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
of course yes man!
Old 10-09-20, 09:41 AM
gairman

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I recently test rode a Domane SL6. It was awesome, but the fit just didn't work for me and they could not produce a shorter stem any sooner than 3-4 weeks. Go figure. Nor were they going to swap it over. They would charge me for the new stem and offer no discount whatsoever on accessories like gloves, helmet, bottles etc. (Trek only store) I was kind of surprised. But I'm sure they will sell the bike to someone else during this time of unavailability due to COVID Supply/demand issues.

Then I found a 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp Ultegra Di2 locally in my size and it was $400 off, and they discounted all accessories. Super nice guys who were willing to build a relationship. I bought the Roubaix. (Actually prefer Di2 even though it cost more) But I would have bought the Trek Domane SL6 if they would have been able to make the geometry fit with a simple stem swap. The icing on the cake however was not even a 10% break on accessories with a $4K bike purchase? It's not the money. It's the principle that rubbed me the wrong way.
Old 10-09-20, 11:11 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
I road bike on rail trails 50% of the time. biggest issue I've been experiencing is the need to deep clean it after the ride is finished.
LOL Because of the dust! I keep thinking maybe my next bike needs to be a light gray/limestone color! My black bike shows all the dust.

Occasionally I load my bike up on the car and I drive it to a different trail about an hour away. The difference is, that trail is 100% asphalt. My bike stands out there because it is so dusty! Everyone else's is spotless.
Old 10-09-20, 12:23 PM
vjbknife

Bikes: Lynskey times 3. Sportive, Pro29'er and Backroad

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 5 Posts
Buy A Road Bike!

I don't think anyone else has said it yet, sorry if I missed it. There is a mathematical formula to figure out how many bikes you should own.

N = X + 1

Where N is the number of bikes you should own and X is the number of bikes you currently own. Trust mathematics, it does not lie.