Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Motobecane Carbon Fiber engineering

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-25-20, 02:53 PM
VernMoto

Bikes: Specialized, Motobecane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

I have pulled the trigger on this Motoecane Carbon Fiber. It is designed and engineered in China of Taiwan by the same companies that make frames for Trek and Specialized. My concern on this bike is the knuckle. It just does not look as robust as I have seen on Trek bikes that essentially use the same frame. Any opinions?
Old 09-25-20, 03:47 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Do not be fooled. The engineering expertise that goes in to that frame is nothing like that of the Trek. Just because they are made in (possibly) the same facility doesn't mean a thing. 'Essentially' the same frame? Not even close.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 09-25-20, 03:55 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Seems like a moot point since you have already ordered the bike.
Old 09-25-20, 04:01 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
While the Trek and Specialized bikes might have a more robust looking knuckle and more stronger anything else you can point to, the question is really if you need that.

If you are not going to put your bike through some of the more extreme abuse some riders do then it may not be a problem to worry about. Also, if you are at the light end of rider weight and do put your bike to all the abuses that some others do, then again it might not be anything to worry about.

What I'm trying to say is if knuckle design X can take a gazillion units of force and design Y can only handle 3/4 of a gazillion units of force, then what does it matter if the weight and forces you put on the bike are only going to be 1/2 a gazillion units of force?

If this is one of your first bikes or it get you what you want at the price you want, then don't worry. I don't think bikes should be a one time purchase thing. Ride them till you get tired of them and get another.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-25-20, 07:54 PM
VernMoto

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Seems like a moot point since you have already ordered the bike.
Oh, it is not too late though. It is on order. I was looking at Trek and Specialized at my LBS. Could not find all I wanted for less than $6000. Folks at the LBS will not even talk about bikes they do not sell.
Old 09-25-20, 08:31 PM
VernMoto

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
While the Trek and Specialized bikes might have a more robust looking knuckle and more stronger anything else you can point to, the question is really if you need that.

If you are not going to put your bike through some of the more extreme abuse some riders do then it may not be a problem to worry about. Also, if you are at the light end of rider weight and do put your bike to all the abuses that some others do, then again it might not be anything to worry about.

What I'm trying to say is if knuckle design X can take a gazillion units of force and design Y can only handle 3/4 of a gazillion units of force, then what does it matter if the weight and forces you put on the bike are only going to be 1/2 a gazillion units of force?

If this is one of your first bikes or it get you what you want at the price you want, then don't worry. I don't think bikes should be a one time purchase thing. Ride them till you get tired of them and get another.

Thank you for the very helpful information. Probably 1/4 a gazillion units of force. I will be using this bike as a trail bike to replace my hard tail Specialized with 26" wheels. I have been riding road bikes since the 80s and I have some great road bikes. But there are some great trails close to me in Houston. Parts of the trail are pretty rough riding with roots, holes and sometimes curbs to jump over. I see these guys out there with their 10k Specialized and wonder why I should spend that much for a full suspension. I am hoping this bike is more than adequate. It is good to hear from those in the know about these full suspension CF bikes, because I have no Idea, except for how much more a LBS would charge me for the same specs.
Old 09-25-20, 08:37 PM
VernMoto

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Do not be fooled. The engineering expertise that goes in to that frame is nothing like that of the Trek. Just because they are made in (possibly) the same facility doesn't mean a thing. 'Essentially' the same frame? Not even close.
My research would indicate otherwise. Then again, I am not going to pound the bike through a double black diamond. Probably more like green circle..LOL I just want it to last at least 5 years before it is all outdated and old school like my last purchase of a Specialized in 2007 at the LBS.
Old 09-25-20, 08:45 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,834 Times in 2,293 Posts
Well what's the warranty and the company that backs it up? Does this company have a history of offering replacement options after the sale? These aspects speak loud, or don't.

As far as becoming outdated... find a rock to hide under. Andy
Old 09-25-20, 09:34 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by VernMoto
I just want it to last at least 5 years before it is all outdated and old school...
But it's got a slack seat angle and no dropper! horrors
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 09-25-20, 10:05 PM
VernMoto

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
But it's got a slack seat angle and no dropper! horrors
Slack seat angle? I think you are talking out of your butt. Already going to spend some $$ on a sweet dropper. Haven't decided which one.
Old 09-25-20, 10:37 PM
VernMoto

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Well what's the warranty and the company that backs it up? Does this company have a history of offering replacement options after the sale? These aspects speak loud, or don't.

As far as becoming outdated... find a rock to hide under. Andy

I got it on BikesDirrect. They have an outlet store not too far from me and they offer a 30 day money back guarantee. Anything damaged or defective they replace it for free. The bike has a Warrantee. All Bikes (Frames + Parts) Covered for a FULL Year from date of purchase against defects PLUS BONUS MotoArmor Warranty By Frame Material: Carbon Fiber=100 Year Bonus. They even cover crashes.

Wait, hide under a rock? II know bike tech just keeps exploding, but is it that fast? Are bikes going to have automatic transmissions and weight 5 pounds soon...LOL
Old 09-26-20, 12:47 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
The frame is likely made by a large manufacturer that produces frames for us based, mainstream brands but I'm pretty sure that frame isn't produced by Giant (who build all of Trek's imported carbon frames) or Merida (who build all Specialized frames and own like 49% of specialized). Both of those brands do all of their design in house and then contract the manufacture. Also the suspension kinematics of that bike is dissimilar to either of those brands.

I suspect the linkage in question is fine, for what it's worth.

BD bikes are a good deal, especially on the higher end, but they really benefit from professional assembly so if you aren't an experienced home mechanic I strongly recommend you bring it to a good shop fully boxed. You'll still save a lot over buying standard retail. If they give you a hard time about the bike's origin, find another shop.

Last edited by cpach; 09-26-20 at 12:51 AM.
Likes For cpach:
Old 09-26-20, 08:55 AM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
In 2010 I bought a Bikes Direct Motobecane Immortal Spirit. It is a CF racing bike and it was wonderful. I road it for 3 years had 10,000 miles on it never a bit of trouble. Sold it for like $700 is looked like new. I once compared it to a Trek 4.5 Madone I used for a ride just to see. No different in the the ride and frankly the threaded bottom bracket made it a better bike. Your bike will be a winner.
Likes For deacon mark:
Old 09-26-20, 10:59 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3220 Post(s)
Liked 2,042 Times in 1,169 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
That of course, is what Trek/Specialized/Colnago/Bianchi/Giant/etcetera, etcetera want the masses to believe. Is the reason Colnago can sell a $3500 FRAME. I'm skeptical that there's a difference worth $3500.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 09-26-20, 11:01 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
A Fauxtobecane is not anywhere close to the quality, engineering...of Specialized or even Trek or any other similar large brands, It is likely made in Taiwan (or maybe China), quite cheaply probably of a generic open mold from a little while ago. The reason it says Motobecane on the side is to give BikesDirect some prestige. You don't want to buy a generic frame from some unknown but "Motobecane, I heard of them" and even if it is not the same company with any relation to the past other than dredging up old logos it still can work.

It might be built in the same factory a lot of Ti frames out of Taiwan come from the same factory but it all then comes down to did someone pay money to design a frame and do some testing on it or did they just go and say get it done cheap. You can order straight off the generic menu or you can actually craft the dish and work out a recipe and bring that to the chef to produce.
Old 09-26-20, 11:52 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 361 Posts
I was looking at the BD website and came to two conclusions. First, their website still sucks. It is still the same basic layout it always was. Second, the components on the bikes are the same components everybody else uses. Ultegra is Ultegra. Their frames look a little old school CF, without the touches the Specialized, Trek and the other name brands may have.

Given the price of the complete bike these frames can't be much different from the $300 Chinese frames you see on ebay. They may be OK, they may not be.

What I still find tacky though is the Motobecane name slapped on. Why don't they just create their own brand instead of trying to conjure images of a long dead French company? Nobody they are marketing to remembers them anyway.
Likes For zacster:
Old 09-26-20, 12:39 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2468 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,671 Posts
It's understandable that people who work in bike shops bad-mouth BikesDirect bikes like the Motobecanes. If I still worked in a bike shop, I'd be annoyed, too. However, I've bought two BikesDirect Motobecanes in the last 15 years, and I'm more than satisfied with both. For a given frame and component quality level, buying from BikesDirect is like getting a bike at an employee discount. Their weakness is that, although they do provide a warranty, they can't provide the level of after-purchase service that a bike store can.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 09-26-20, 12:55 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1785 Post(s)
Liked 1,259 Times in 868 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
I was looking at the BD website and came to two conclusions. First, their website still sucks. It is still the same basic layout it always was. Second, the components on the bikes are the same components everybody else uses. Ultegra is Ultegra. Their frames look a little old school CF, without the touches the Specialized, Trek and the other name brands may have.

Given the price of the complete bike these frames can't be much different from the $300 Chinese frames you see on ebay. They may be OK, they may not be.

What I still find tacky though is the Motobecane name slapped on. Why don't they just create their own brand instead of trying to conjure images of a long dead French company? Nobody they are marketing to remembers them anyway.
You prefer Schwinn?
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 09-26-20, 01:31 PM
VernMoto

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cpach
The frame is likely made by a large manufacturer that produces frames for us based, mainstream brands but I'm pretty sure that frame isn't produced by Giant (who build all of Trek's imported carbon frames) or Merida (who build all Specialized frames and own like 49% of specialized). Both of those brands do all of their design in house and then contract the manufacture. Also the suspension kinematics of that bike is dissimilar to either of those brands.

I suspect the linkage in question is fine, for what it's worth.

BD bikes are a good deal, especially on the higher end, but they really benefit from professional assembly so if you aren't an experienced home mechanic I strongly recommend you bring it to a good shop fully boxed. You'll still save a lot over buying standard retail. If they give you a hard time about the bike's origin, find another shop.

Thanks for the advice. The bike has arrived and I was thinking about giving a try at assembly, but I don't put bikes together professionally. I am glad you siad it as well. Defiantly going to have it professionally assembled. My LBS is BikeBarn and they want $250 to assemble. They also seem pretty annoyed at me for not purchasing the $7000+ Specialized they have in stock. I am looking for another shop.
Old 09-26-20, 02:17 PM
VernMoto

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster

I remember when these guys were using the Windsor brand name. Made no difference to me as long as the bike has quality.

As far as the BD web site. Man, try looking at Specialized or Trek web sight. Talk about overwhelmingly too much. A LOT of money goes into those websites and what do you get for all that? Mark up. In the 70s Radio Shack made a fortune for selling things with 400% mark up. When I worked for Pontiac I used to laugh at the prices the dealership paid per unit vs what the sticker price was.
Old 09-26-20, 02:21 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
Wish you lived near me I would do it way less than $250. That seems a lot of money to build up a bike that is about 90% built.
Likes For deacon mark:
Old 09-26-20, 02:40 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
I suspect some of the posters recall the events of ~10-12yrs ago as discussed in these two articles
https://www.velonews.com/not-all-fra...terfeit-bikes/

https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...ake-bike-gear/

Motobecane brand was long ago sold by its original owner to the present purveyors which appear to be Taiwan
based. It was a so-so brand out of France in the 70s when I started riding like Gitane and Peugeot making
decent but not great bikes. Its current iteration seems to have held up over time with decent frames. It
is possible the OP bike frame is actually made in Taiwan, but a bit more likely to be mainland in origin. Saw
a recent article in ?WSJ? ?NYT? about Giant which reported that in the neighborhood of half of their production was
mainland based.

I suspect the frame will do fine on nearly dead flat Houston trails. As one ATB rider said, ATB frames are disposable.
Old 09-26-20, 08:49 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
The Bike Barn in Houston Texas lists on their website:
Build Boxed Bike - $79.99
Includes bicycle assembly and Basic Tune-Up
You might be quoting something different? Maybe you were also looking at a bike fit? Bike fits can be $250 and up or you had other services you were looking at?
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 09-26-20, 09:41 PM
VernMoto

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
The Bike Barn in Houston Texas lists on their website:

You might be quoting something different? Maybe you were also looking at a bike fit? Bike fits can be $250 and up or you had other services you were looking at?
I was told "Starting at $250" when the guy was trying to sell me the Specialized. He said something like "You have to get the bike fitted as well" I think he was referring to bikes they sell at the shop. In any case, I got the impression they wanted to sell me a bike, not really help me with getting any sort of good deal.

I found an old bike pro shop in Seabrook that siad he would assemble for $40. His bike shop is connected with charities that try to get everyone on a bike. https://www.facebook.com/slowtwitchniche/ Did some research and found some pro's in this group that say they will not let anyone else touch their bikes. Unfortunately, there is a wait.
Old 09-26-20, 09:42 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by VernMoto
Thank you for the very helpful information. Probably 1/4 a gazillion units of force. I will be using this bike as a trail bike to replace my hard tail Specialized with 26" wheels. I have been riding road bikes since the 80s and I have some great road bikes. But there are some great trails close to me in Houston. Parts of the trail are pretty rough riding with roots, holes and sometimes curbs to jump over. I see these guys out there with their 10k Specialized and wonder why I should spend that much for a full suspension. I am hoping this bike is more than adequate. It is good to hear from those in the know about these full suspension CF bikes, because I have no Idea, except for how much more a LBS would charge me for the same specs.
From the way you describe it, I wonder if you'd be better off with a hard tail bike. Or even a gravel bike. You'd be surprised at what you can do with little to no suspension. Unless you're bombing nasty downhills or doing serious drops, you can ride lots of rough stuff and trails without rear suspension -- and even without front suspension. In the early 90s, I lived in a ski town in the Rockies and had a hard tail/hard fork Fisher mountain bike. I mountain biked almost every day on some pretty gnarly trails without any problem (well, I did have to replace my headset twice). For the type of riding you are describing, I would give serious consideration to something lighter, stronger, less complicated and less likely to fail.
Likes For mattcalifornia:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.