Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

School me on disc brakes

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

School me on disc brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-20, 06:09 AM
Cmichini

Bikes: 1998 Specialized Crossroad Sport Hybrid, 1998 Trek 800 MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
School me on disc brakes

Relatively newbie on the site & to biking technical details - I think my current bike I purchased (Specialized Crossroads) circa 2006 or so.
But, like many, I've started to get out on my bike more, and enjoying it a lot.
I think it may be time for a new bike, and let my trusty Specialized have some rest - but it will get use to mix it up, use as a loaner or if primary in repair, etc., so I'm newly in the market.

I've been reading the threads on the various models and am looking at the usual suspects (Trek, Specialized, Giant - you know the models I'm likely considering ).
Many of the candidates have disc brakes and they're new to me, so want to get schooled on them so I can feel confident choosing or dismissing disc brakes in my filtering of choices.

If they're new and popular, I assume the work fine. My main questions revolve around are they right for me.

Me:
Mostly do daily fitness rides (8-10 miles a day - longer on weekends), but I'd like to do some longer rides with some friends (maybe up to 20 or 30 some time), and may start to do my 2.5 mile commute on it (when we go back to the office).
Typically ride on dry days (mostly due to wife's safety concerns), but I do ride after rain on damp roads, and if I commute I may experience a variety of weather (Charlotte, NC so little snow).
I like to be able to do some minor maintenance - I'm pretty handy and YouTube has a variety of good tutorial videos to help guide you (am I right or are the Park Tools videos excellent?).

So, thoughts on pros/cons for disc vs rim?
Effectiveness, pros/cons in their use?
Are they easy to work on for a newb that does try to follow directions?
Maintenance needs, complexity, etc.?
Any pitfalls/concerns, that i didn't mention, etc.?

Thanks so much any the helpful insight.

Cheers
Old 09-25-20, 06:20 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by Cmichini
Relatively newbie on the site & to biking technical details - I think my current bike I purchased (Specialized Crossroads) circa 2006 or so.
But, like many, I've started to get out on my bike more, and enjoying it a lot.
I think it may be time for a new bike, and let my trusty Specialized have some rest - but it will get use to mix it up, use as a loaner or if primary in repair, etc., so I'm newly in the market.

I've been reading the threads on the various models and am looking at the usual suspects (Trek, Specialized, Giant - you know the models I'm likely considering ).
Many of the candidates have disc brakes and they're new to me, so want to get schooled on them so I can feel confident choosing or dismissing disc brakes in my filtering of choices.

If they're new and popular, I assume the work fine. My main questions revolve around are they right for me.

Me:
Mostly do daily fitness rides (8-10 miles a day - longer on weekends), but I'd like to do some longer rides with some friends (maybe up to 20 or 30 some time), and may start to do my 2.5 mile commute on it (when we go back to the office).
Typically ride on dry days (mostly due to wife's safety concerns), but I do ride after rain on damp roads, and if I commute I may experience a variety of weather (Charlotte, NC so little snow).
I like to be able to do some minor maintenance - I'm pretty handy and YouTube has a variety of good tutorial videos to help guide you (am I right or are the Park Tools videos excellent?).

So, thoughts on pros/cons for disc vs rim?
Effectiveness, pros/cons in their use?
Are they easy to work on for a newb that does try to follow directions?
Maintenance needs, complexity, etc.?
Any pitfalls/concerns, that i didn't mention, etc.?

Thanks so much any the helpful insight.

Cheers
Like power locks on cars, they're on all bikes above a certain price point now so you don't really have a choice. Just make sure to get hydraulics, Shimano if possible, tektro is ok, avoid sram like the plague.

Basically, they're great in terms of lower maintenance and consistent, all weather braking. Do a web search, there should be about 20 years of material to dig through.
Old 09-25-20, 08:28 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by Cmichini
1. So, thoughts on pros/cons for disc vs rim?
2. Effectiveness, pros/cons in their use?
3. Are they easy to work on for a newb that does try to follow directions?
4. Maintenance needs, complexity, etc.?
5. Any pitfalls/concerns, that i didn't mention, etc.?
1. In general, disc brakes are usually pretty good. Cable disc brakes are, in general, not as powerful (or as satisfying to use) as hydraulic disc brakes, but both have their fans. I've owned both types and have converted any cable discs to hydraulic discs. I also own rim brake bikes and enjoy them as well. I do prefer my hydraulic disc brake bikes (MTBs) for off road use due to the more intense use and better consistency in mixed environments (dry, wet, mud, etc.). If you plan to ride in the rain or mixed weather, I would strongly recommend disc brakes. No, they're not required, but they'll be more effective and more enjoyable to use.

2. Disc and rim brakes are broadly about as effective as each other (assuming good pads, adjustment, etc.) in dry conditions. Disc brakes are usually more predictable and are certainly more consistent and effective in wet weather.

3/4. I think disc brakes, both cable and hydraulic, are easy to maintain. Hydraulic does require fluid and certain parts (like syringes, or the Shimano funnel, etc.). This stuff is generally a buy-it-once-use-it-forever sort of stuff, so it's a one-time cost and then you have it. There is a risk of a hydraulic line failing, but I think this risk is often overstated, and there are likely more examples of cables failing or getting gummy or rusty, etc. Both types will need periodic maintenance...it's just different maintenance depending on which route you choose.

5. There are a few miscellaneous items of note in my experience. Disc brakes have very tight clearance between the pads and rotor, and can require minor adjustment if you remove and reinstall a wheel. Sometimes that very tight clearance is shifted one way or the other and you need to readjust the caliper on its mounting bolts after a wheel insertion. This generally isn't a concern with rim brakes. On the other hand, rim brakes require very smooth brake tracks and you'll usually feel even small variances in brake track smoothness or even the trueness/straightness of the wheel. This generally isn't a concern with disc brakes. Disc brakes concentrate all the braking force at the hub, generally requiring stronger (and theoretically less compliant) fork and frame designs. However, modern bike designs have pretty much done away with the narrow and raked fork blades used in classic bikes anyway, and there probably isn't a real difference between a rim brake model or disc brake model of the same bike. Modern disc brake bikes with carbon forks (like the Trek FX 3 for example) are said to ride nicely.
Old 09-25-20, 08:51 AM
Cmichini

Bikes: 1998 Specialized Crossroad Sport Hybrid, 1998 Trek 800 MTB

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
1. In general, disc brakes are usually pretty good. Cable disc brakes are, in general, not as powerful (or as satisfying to use) as hydraulic disc brakes, but both have their fans. I've owned both types and have converted any cable discs to hydraulic discs. I also own rim brake bikes and enjoy them as well. I do prefer my hydraulic disc brake bikes (MTBs) for off road use due to the more intense use and better consistency in mixed environments (dry, wet, mud, etc.). If you plan to ride in the rain or mixed weather, I would strongly recommend disc brakes. No, they're not required, but they'll be more effective and more enjoyable to use.

2. Disc and rim brakes are broadly about as effective as each other (assuming good pads, adjustment, etc.) in dry conditions. Disc brakes are usually more predictable and are certainly more consistent and effective in wet weather.

3/4. I think disc brakes, both cable and hydraulic, are easy to maintain. Hydraulic does require fluid and certain parts (like syringes, or the Shimano funnel, etc.). This stuff is generally a buy-it-once-use-it-forever sort of stuff, so it's a one-time cost and then you have it. There is a risk of a hydraulic line failing, but I think this risk is often overstated, and there are likely more examples of cables failing or getting gummy or rusty, etc. Both types will need periodic maintenance...it's just different maintenance depending on which route you choose.

5. There are a few miscellaneous items of note in my experience. Disc brakes have very tight clearance between the pads and rotor, and can require minor adjustment if you remove and reinstall a wheel. Sometimes that very tight clearance is shifted one way or the other and you need to readjust the caliper on its mounting bolts after a wheel insertion. This generally isn't a concern with rim brakes. On the other hand, rim brakes require very smooth brake tracks and you'll usually feel even small variances in brake track smoothness or even the trueness/straightness of the wheel. This generally isn't a concern with disc brakes. Disc brakes concentrate all the braking force at the hub, generally requiring stronger (and theoretically less compliant) fork and frame designs. However, modern bike designs have pretty much done away with the narrow and raked fork blades used in classic bikes anyway, and there probably isn't a real difference between a rim brake model or disc brake model of the same bike. Modern disc brake bikes with carbon forks (like the Trek FX 3 for example) are said to ride nicely.
Thanks all:

I appreciate the insight, and comments, particularly maintenance and other parts/gear needs.
I think you've gotten me over the hump to modernize to disc brakes in this iteration.

I'll now start to hit up shops to get my butt on some models to see how they feel to me, and get in line for inventory.
I have 2 Trek stores & a Giant store nearby, and have 2 LBS I'm familiar with that I'll talk to as well.

Luckily the old Specialized is running well (new tires/tubes at beginning of pandemic, new saddle & brake pads recently), so I have the luxury of being able to take the time to try how they feel, and wait for some inventory pipeline delays.

Thanks again.
Cheers!!!

Last edited by Cmichini; 09-25-20 at 10:13 AM. Reason: spelling!
Old 09-25-20, 08:57 AM
yo vanilla

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I could be wrong but I feel like the future is brighter for disc brakes with rim brakes starting to away (good ones, anyway). Given you've had your current bike for about 15 years and maybe you'll keep this one just as long, chances are it will be easier to get parts or upgrade the disc brakes (or even related parts like wheels) in the next decade.

Maintenance is a wash IMO. Like stated already rim brakes can fall prey to things like a wheel out of true. On the flip side a disc probably needs more precise set-up. On my son's bike the rear has a caliper bolt that kept backing out until I put some loc-tite on it, and on the front I just noticed a warp on the disc which looks like disassembly to fix (rather than a quick adjustment). Do-able, but extra steps..
Old 09-25-20, 11:07 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Have hydraulic discs now. Won't go back. Easy to modulate, great stopping power, don't have to worry about larger tire sizes, minimal maintenance, look cool, what's not to like.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 09-25-20, 12:29 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
I have road bikes with both disc brakes and rim brakes. Both work well and for most all riding, you should not see much of a difference.

The big reason to go with a disc braked bike is that these generally allow for much wider tires. Road bikes with 28 and fatter tires are becoming the norm - and that soon might be 32mm minimum.
Old 09-26-20, 02:41 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
I personally like the clean minimalist lines of caliper brakes on my Road bikes but the discs gives my Hybrid the "ready for adventure" look.
I don't ride my bikes hard or in harsh conditions (eg rain, mud, snow, etc) so either systems work for me. I'm ok with wrenching on either but can see how one(discs) can be more expensive to fix if anything breaks....
Old 09-28-20, 03:45 PM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
I saw a video from path less pedaled on Youtube where this guy said he prefers mechanical disc brakes because he changed groupsets etc. in the same summer like 10 times. Of course he does reviews so for him, it doesn't make sense to pay a shop to have hydraulic disc brakes bled. And hydraulic disc brakes can freeze at -15 'Celcius. Since some people say mechanical disc brakes are only a tad better than V-brakes, I'd rather go with the simplicity of V-brakes. As a matter of fact, if I wanted to buy a new bike with V-brakes I'd be tempted to buy an Alivio groupset and install it on a bike. Why? Because often V-brake bikes now are often the lower-end models.