Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-18, 11:15 AM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by rankin116
Why were you denied unemployment? That smells like some BS
It pretty much was BS. Since I was fired, they fought it saying I was unable to complete my work as given to me. I tried explaining to the unemployment office that being given 4 weeks of work to do in a day (what ultimately lead to being let go) was an unreasonable demand for anyone. Apparently it didnt matter.

I almost didnt try filing because I had a feeling that they were going to fight it..which I was right about..
Old 01-13-18, 07:20 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
I'm seasick. Remind me not to go sailing in VR when I'm not 100%. Space Flight even more so. I think I'm going to stick to ping pong and paintball this week.
Old 01-13-18, 07:23 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
I'm seasick. Remind me not to go sailing in VR when I'm not 100%. Space Flight even more so. I think I'm going to stick to ping pong and paintball this week.
I have an oculus that I can't use because it makes me sick. Even the simplest ones without motion where you just look around, makes me sick.
Old 01-13-18, 07:33 PM
furiousferret

I got it for XMas, and while its not that bad I can't play the space games like Lone Echo or Echo Arena unless I slowly ease into it for several days. After cycling and work though I'm usually too tired to stand around in VR land so I usually just play it on weekends.

Have you tried the Eleven Table Tennis? That one's probably my favorite and is pretty tame.

Last edited by furiousferret; 01-13-18 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-13-18, 07:48 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
I got to play with a VR system (VIVE) when I was in college. (played some bullet dodging / shooting game) I was skeptical before, thought it was gimmicky. Until I tried it. HOLY ****, was it cool. Now that I've seen some video of what people are doing with car racing SIMs in VR, I kinda want one lol.
Old 01-13-18, 11:00 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
I got to play with a VR system (VIVE) when I was in college. (played some bullet dodging / shooting game) I was skeptical before, thought it was gimmicky. Until I tried it. HOLY ****, was it cool. Now that I've seen some video of what people are doing with car racing SIMs in VR, I kinda want one lol.
I've just gotten into playing Rocket League (I suck big time as I haven't gamed since college almost 20 years ago), but I have to imagine that would be cool as hell in VR if done right.
Old 01-16-18, 07:20 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
I dunno about anyone else, but I've dedicated more brain energy than is normal to the whole idea of joining a club for 2018 (it must be winter!). I had been with one local club for a couple of years and then did cx unattached this year. This particular club was convenient because it's affiliated with my local shop (although I don't think I ever took advantage of any discounts) and at one point at a decent racing contingent. But the stronger guys seem to have moved on to other clubs and there appear to be only a handful of people racing, and not be to be ageist (heck I'm almost 38 lol) but I think the membership tends to skew older these days. It's interesting how much it changes just over the course of a year or two. The club I'm considering joining appears to be much bigger from a racing perspective and put on both road and CX races and seems to have a good mix of lower cat and quality higher cat riders and a mix of ages as well. Again, I probably put more thought into this than a normal person should!
Old 01-16-18, 02:22 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
I dunno about anyone else, but I've dedicated more brain energy than is normal to the whole idea of joining a club for 2018 (it must be winter!). I had been with one local club for a couple of years and then did cx unattached this year. This particular club was convenient because it's affiliated with my local shop (although I don't think I ever took advantage of any discounts) and at one point at a decent racing contingent. But the stronger guys seem to have moved on to other clubs and there appear to be only a handful of people racing, and not be to be ageist (heck I'm almost 38 lol) but I think the membership tends to skew older these days. It's interesting how much it changes just over the course of a year or two. The club I'm considering joining appears to be much bigger from a racing perspective and put on both road and CX races and seems to have a good mix of lower cat and quality higher cat riders and a mix of ages as well. Again, I probably put more thought into this than a normal person should!
I like having a broader mix of riders, personally.
Old 01-16-18, 02:41 PM
hubcyclist

Originally Posted by caloso
I like having a broader mix of riders, personally.
for sure, and for me it's mainly for the social aspect, I'm not the most outgoing by nature so I'm far more to chat with someone in the same kit at an event, and this particular club has very good representation at all the ones I've been to.
Old 01-16-18, 02:55 PM
furiousferret

Our team is down to 3 racers this season. We have a lot of inactive racers, and a handful that have ditched road entirely for CX. The other 2 guys are really talented though and will probably be 2's by the end of the year.

If I have a successful (i.e. actually race and not get injured like the last 2 years) season I'll consider going to one of the bigger teams. The problem with the Redlands area is we have 6 teams and only enough riders to support 1. Joining an LA or Orange County team has its own problems as well.
Old 01-16-18, 03:25 PM
hubcyclist

If I have a successful (i.e. actually race and not get injured like the last 2 years) season I'll consider going to one of the bigger teams.
Yeah, my hangup has been that I hadn't been racing and out of shape. But doing CX really got me back into the game and, at least from an ftp perspective, I'm in near peak shape and might even be better than I ever have been (still can't do anything above threshold to save my life), so I'm feeling like I can be competent if I keep at it.

Still waiting on calls from the local guys on this forum to have me join them lol
Old 01-17-18, 06:48 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Our team is down to 3 racers this season. We have a lot of inactive racers, and a handful that have ditched road entirely for CX. ...
Tell them CX season is over. Use road to cross train.
Have them call me if confused.
Old 01-17-18, 06:51 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Cyclocross? You mean like in the toilet?
Old 01-17-18, 06:52 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2613 Post(s)
Liked 3,129 Times in 1,645 Posts
lol, nice idiocracy ref.
Old 01-17-18, 07:05 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
Yeah, my hangup has been that I hadn't been racing and out of shape. But doing CX really got me back into the game and, at least from an ftp perspective, I'm in near peak shape and might even be better than I ever have been (still can't do anything above threshold to save my life), so I'm feeling like I can be competent if I keep at it.

Still waiting on calls from the local guys on this forum to have me join them lol
You've got an in with my team if you ever move out to Sac.
Old 01-18-18, 07:04 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Our team is down to 3 racers this season. We have a lot of inactive racers, and a handful that have ditched road entirely for CX. The other 2 guys are really talented though and will probably be 2's by the end of the year.

If I have a successful (i.e. actually race and not get injured like the last 2 years) season I'll consider going to one of the bigger teams. The problem with the Redlands area is we have 6 teams and only enough riders to support 1. Joining an LA or Orange County team has its own problems as well.
My team isn't really a race team anymore. We were at one point, but things changed. People moved. Some folks had kids or other life priorities. There are still a few of us who race, but it's less of a focus. It's kind of nice.
Old 01-18-18, 07:06 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Well, the final snow tally here is around 11-12 inches. That may not seem like a lot for you northeast guys, but it's a ton for us southerners.

The dog generally likes the snow, but not this deep. He can barely get through it as it nearly comes up to his belly. He is refusing to go to the bathroom.

At the same time, I just cannot shake this cold. I was feeling pretty good last night, but I woke up this morning feeling worse than I did yesterday morning. It's just completely up and down.
Old 01-18-18, 09:30 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

We're supposed to have a good winter storm blow through this weekend and onwards here in Utah. On one hand, I'm looking forward to the skiing. On the other, it was real nice to ride outside last weekend.
Old 01-18-18, 10:11 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
We're supposed to have a good winter storm blow through this weekend and onwards here in Utah. On one hand, I'm looking forward to the skiing. On the other, it was real nice to ride outside last weekend.
My coach, who lives in Logan, also teaching skiing and snowboard and has been wanting to trade weather with me. I had to abort yesterday's ride due to too much ice on the road and bridges...in south effin' Louisiana. 'Bout time you folks take this stuff back.

Demain, on roule!
Old 01-19-18, 09:57 AM
Flatballer
No matches

If someone calls you for an interview and you don't answer, and then don't call back in about 5 minutes with a good excuse, you're probably not getting the job.
Old 01-19-18, 10:47 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2613 Post(s)
Liked 3,129 Times in 1,645 Posts
Hello All,

I was involved in a minor car accident last night, took an unprotected left in front of a car moving straight in the opposite direction, my fault. Was looking at my new Garmin and not paying attention, totally stupid. No broken bones or or concussion so I'm totally lucky, just a bruised body and ego. It was right in front of a cop, and he chose not to add insult to injury and didn't write me a citation.

My question is regarding insurance - is the damage to his car something that will be covered by my auto insurance? They took down my State Farm policy number and contact info, but I was on a bike, not in a car. I def. ruined the windshield of his Tesla and did some body damage to the hood and bumper, so I'm kinda freaked out as to what he might do if my insurance doesn't cover it.

Thanks,
Tmonk
Old 01-19-18, 11:03 AM
Flatballer
No matches

I don't know about the insurance part, but I'm glad to hear you're alright. Sounds like it could've been much worse.
Old 01-19-18, 01:34 PM
furiousferret

Glad you're okay TMonk. I've had those brain lapses too looking at my Garmin and almost hitting something but so far haven't had to pay the price you did.

No idea about the insurance.
Old 01-19-18, 06:03 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by revchuck
My coach, who lives in Logan, also teaching skiing and snowboard and has been wanting to trade weather with me. I had to abort yesterday's ride due to too much ice on the road and bridges...in south effin' Louisiana. 'Bout time you folks take this stuff back.
Please? It's coming down out my window right now, but last weekend I was xc skiing on snow that I could see concrete through in spots. Not ideal.
Old 01-19-18, 06:15 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
Hello All,

I was involved in a minor car accident last night, took an unprotected left in front of a car moving straight in the opposite direction, my fault. Was looking at my new Garmin and not paying attention, totally stupid. No broken bones or or concussion so I'm totally lucky, just a bruised body and ego. It was right in front of a cop, and he chose not to add insult to injury and didn't write me a citation.

My question is regarding insurance - is the damage to his car something that will be covered by my auto insurance? They took down my State Farm policy number and contact info, but I was on a bike, not in a car. I def. ruined the windshield of his Tesla and did some body damage to the hood and bumper, so I'm kinda freaked out as to what he might do if my insurance doesn't cover it.

Thanks,
Tmonk
F*** man! So sorry to hear that. Glad you're alright, but can understand the apprehension. No ideas of my own. I'd probably give the insurance people a call and get their input (I have State Farm, too).

Hope it works out okay.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.