Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Biking while fat: Things I wish I knew when I started

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-18, 01:09 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts

"4. YOU DON’T OWE ANYBODY ANYTHING
As a larger bodied person riding a bicycle, you might find yourself subject to stares and comments from people on the street. If your life is anything like mine, this is nothing outside the normal. Just remember that you don’t owe them a response, you don’t owe them acknowledgment, you do not owe them anything. You have every right to enjoy your time on your bicycle and they can just mind their own damn business."

Full article:
https://cyclingtips.com/2018/01/biki...tarted-riding/
Old 01-18-18, 03:43 PM
breadbin

Bikes: Raleigh 531c, Marin Muirwoods, Brodie Romax

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
A reason I have my music blaring in my headphones when I cycle. The louder the better
Old 01-18-18, 05:41 PM
oldspokes

Bikes: more than 20

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
As someone who has just dug out his old bikes from 35 years ago, its not so much looks from the general public I get but I find that riding a bike around here gets the attention of the local police. I've been stopped and grilled as to what I'm doing on a bike, where am I going, where's my car, where did I get the bike, or have I been drinking. It seems that riding a bike makes the local police look at you as if your some derelict who lost their license or worse. I guess a fat Irish guy looks suspicious when riding a bike these days. I had one officer ask me why on earth would a grown man want to ride a bike in 20 degree weather, or ask me what's wrong with driving my car? The last officer who stopped me as usual asked to see my drivers license, I told him I didn't think I needed one to ride a bike. He got sarcastic and said that bicycles have been a problem lately and that there have been reports of bicycles riding in traffic lanes blocking traffic. Funny thing was I haven't seen another bike out on the road all month and I thought bikes did have the right to use the road.
Bikes used to be everywhere around here 35 years ago, but these days even kids don't ride bikes. I've been out and about on my bike several times this week and didn't pass a single other rider. There's plenty of cars, that don't give an inch, but no bikes. The area is mostly rural with some suburban developments. Each time I was stopped it was in my own neighborhood, where I've lived for more than 25 years.
Old 01-18-18, 07:14 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
I typically ride with music. So often don't hear what might be said about me or to me. One time tho I did get called "fat boy" by a jerk in a lifted diesel truck towing a boat. Not a boy by the way.

Sometimes tho I assume someone is saying negative stuff about me because of my size especially when it is kids as I was teased, mocked and bullied for being overweight by other kids especially boys growing up. That leaves scars. Anyway...I won a gopro shortly after starting to get into cycling. I had it on as I was cruising thru a park. There were little league boys pointing and saying stuff. I assumed they were making fun of the fat chick on a bike. I got home and watched and listened to the video....they were reacting to the GoPro and wanting asking if it was ON. It was a good lesson in never assuming someone is commenting negatively about me.
Old 01-18-18, 08:36 PM
breadbin

Bikes: Raleigh 531c, Marin Muirwoods, Brodie Romax

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Important life lesson there not to judge others! It is easily done though. Most people are decent enough but there's always the few bad apples. It is amazing too how when you hear something like 'youre fat' it brings you right down. Better not to hear it but maybe fat shaming could help some people get motivated.
Old 01-18-18, 09:50 PM
rustymetal

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Around here I get comments not so much because I'm fat, but because I'm on a bike. I too have seen the attitude that those riding a bike are doing so because they lost their license or can't afford a car.
You also have to watch out for things being thrown from cars, bottles, rocks, food, etc. Drivers get mad because your in their way. I chased one guy down about 20 years ago after he took a swipe at me and several other riders with a broomstick while driving by. He hit the last rider's back wheel, the rest of us chased him down at the next intersection and lets just say we 'coerced' a very heartfelt apology from him and his two buddies.
Old 01-19-18, 12:14 AM
knitguy

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Beachgrad05
I typically ride with music. So often don't hear what might be said about me or to me. One time tho I did get called "fat boy" by a jerk in a lifted diesel truck towing a boat. Not a boy by the way.
For what it's worth, if I'm saying anything to someone on a bike that I don't know it's a, "on your left". Either that or asking if they're ok in the context of them changing a flat. It's been my experience that that's more or less the only thing that really gets said on the more popular multi-use/bike trails here (which, even on the weekends, are generally populated with people going at a fast clip more than children learning how to ride and families). I'm definitely on the lower end of being a clyde so I suspect I wouldn't get a whole lot of comments about my size, but being worried about racist comments is something that is often on my mind (and thankfully something I've never heard when I've been riding).
Old 01-24-18, 09:28 AM
dhender02

Bikes: Felt Z85 & Trek 7.3FX

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by knitguy
...I'm definitely on the lower end of being a clyde so I suspect I wouldn't get a whole lot of comments about my size, but being worried about racist comments is something that is often on my mind (and thankfully something I've never heard when I've been riding).
WOW!!! This is EXACTLY what I was thinking. I had to do a double check to make sure I hadn't posted this!! BTW, I've never heard any off-color comments while riding either, but when I'm riding a back road by myself in rural PA, I'm more alert to watch out for this type of behavior...
Old 01-24-18, 04:05 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I don't give a poop what other people think. Making fun of a fat guy in the gym (or on a bike) is like making fun of a homeless guy at a job fair.

But here in my small town, everyone knows me and they know how much riding I do, and that I rode my first century last year. Telling non-cyclists that I rode 100 miles in a day really astonishes them, even if I'm a little over 200 lbs.
Old 01-24-18, 06:58 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,430 Times in 2,537 Posts
When I see a very overweight person outside being active (walking, biking, jogging, whatever), my instinctive thought is "good for them!" Hopefully while I'm thinking that I don't stare. And I wouldn't say it out loud, that would be patronizing.

I can't imagine why anybody else would think otherwise, but I'm sure plenty of jerks do anyways.
Old 01-24-18, 08:01 PM
Bikeforumuser0022

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oldspokes
As someone who has just dug out his old bikes from 35 years ago, its not so much looks from the general public I get but I find that riding a bike around here gets the attention of the local police.
<snip>
Amazing what bullshony gang members will spew. He or she is being paid with your extorted tax dollars to fly colors, carry weapons, and harass and intimidate innocents. S/He must've solved all of the crimes in your area to have the time necessary for bothering you.

Originally Posted by RubeRad
When I see a very overweight person outside being active (walking, biking, jogging, whatever), my instinctive thought is "good for them!" Hopefully while I'm thinking that I don't stare. And I wouldn't say it out loud, that would be patronizing.

I can't imagine why anybody else would think otherwise, but I'm sure plenty of jerks do anyways.
+1

Last edited by Bikeforumuser0022; 01-24-18 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-24-18, 08:07 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by oldspokes
As someone who has just dug out his old bikes from 35 years ago, its not so much looks from the general public I get but I find that riding a bike around here gets the attention of the local police.
Send an email to the nearest branch of the ACLU, tell them this story, and ask what can be done about it. The only way to deal with this sort of thing is via litigation.
Old 01-24-18, 08:17 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
I must be doing something wrong, or just lucky. I get nothing but positive comments and smiles from fellow towns people when they see a fat old man riding around here on a '80s era bicycle. In the summer, a MUP I ride is used by the local schools for cross country track practice and when there is about a hundred kids bearing down on me I wisely just pull over and let them pass. Always get lots of "Thank you", "Way to go", "Keep it up", from them. There is one lady though, that seems to be quite adamantly opposed to bicycles on "her" walking path, but I rarely see her.
Old 01-24-18, 08:20 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
Send an email to the nearest branch of the ACLU, tell them this story, and ask what can be done about it. The only way to deal with this sort of thing is via litigation.
Ha Ha. I get no trouble from the Local Constabulary, I'm on a first name basis with their boss.
Old 01-25-18, 09:32 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,430 Times in 2,537 Posts
I'll bet there's plenty of people that think "if that fat *** can be out exercising even though he's 100lb overweight, why can't I be bothered to do anything about my 30lb spare tire?" And some will turn that shame into defensiveness and be mean against someone else so they feel better about themselves.
Old 01-25-18, 03:04 PM
Milton Keynes

I'll bet there's plenty of people that think "if that fat *** can be out exercising even though he's 100lb overweight, why can't I be bothered to do anything about my 30lb spare tire?" And some will turn that shame into defensiveness and be mean against someone else so they feel better about themselves.
I'm sure that's what a lot of animosity toward an overweight person out exercising is from. I really can't think of any sane reason to belittle a fat person out riding a bike, walking, or doing whatever to get a little bit of exercise. It's strange that our society belittles fat people for being lazy, but society also tends to laugh at fat people at the gym or out riding a bike. Like I said, it's like making fun of a homeless person going to a job fair. Don't put down people who are trying to better their condition.
Old 01-25-18, 08:59 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts

WHen I started running for real about 5 years ago I tackled a really tough hill, and a guy about 30 years younger passed me like I was standing still. As he passed he yelled "You've totally got this man!" and gave me a thumbs up. It was inspiring.

Now when I out running whenever I pass a clyde or athena I try to give them a thumbs up or at least a smile, like ...hey, we are all in this together.

Just a friendly smile or wave makes a difference, they should be handed out generously.
Old 01-26-18, 08:05 AM
dhender02

Bikes: Felt Z85 & Trek 7.3FX

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by FrenchFit
Just a friendly smile or wave makes a difference, they should be handed out generously.
This.
Old 01-26-18, 10:03 AM
Fangowolf

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT / Motobecane Fhantom CX 105 / Giant Cypress ST / EZ Sport AX / Trisled Touring Trike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by knitguy
but being worried about racist comments is something that is often on my mind (and thankfully something I've never heard when I've been riding).
The first thing that went through my mind on reading this, was the guys talking about their Cat4 race and how I'm never going to race, why would what they say bother me.
Old 01-26-18, 04:05 PM
rutan74

Bikes: Felt ZR3, Specialized Sectur

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by breadbin
Important life lesson there not to judge others! It is easily done though. Most people are decent enough but there's always the few bad apples. It is amazing too how when you hear something like 'youre fat' it brings you right down. Better not to hear it but maybe fat shaming could help some people get motivated.
This brings to mind some humble pie for myself.

My friend and I (I'm the clyde) were doing a local event (metric century) and we always give the once over to folks in the parking lot gearing up. It's only natural to see the hardware folks are riding along with those that 'look' the part.

Anyway, we get out about 20 miles mixed in a small pack. I notice a female that is obviously a 'tad' overweight and I mean she was large. She was pedaling with another woman and they were keeping pace. We would switch back and forth a few times. We lost them at rest stop 1. My friend and I commented on the fact that she was keeping up but we didn't feel like she would last much longer.

Fast forward to the last rest stop at 50 miles and we move out only to be passed by these 2 women! We were then in a pace line following them. Eventually with about 2 miles to go we passed them for good.

Back in the parking lot we saw her pull in. Both of us commented to ourselves to not judge a book by the cover. Don't get me wrong, we were not laughing at her but just looking at her there is no way you would think she could even make it 65 miles let alone keep pace around 18-19mph. Suffice to say it was quite a humbling experience. Maybe folks think the same about me when I pull in with all the skinny people. Who knows.

So, lesson learned for me. You never really know what shape people are in just by looking at them.

BTW, fast forward 2 years and we are in the same ride. I pull up to another older guy (hey I'm 61) and he looks awful. 18 miles in and this guy is sweating like no other. He has been pulling for almost the entire 18 miles and I was quite impressed with his effort. We pull up to a stop sign and he does not look to good. Blown already I thought. I asked him if he was alright and he nodded yes. Fast forward to that 50 mile rest stop and we hear that some guy had a heart attack at rest stop 1! I find out it was this guy. Avid rider in his 50's. So again, just goes to show that looks are deceiving.

john
Old 01-29-18, 04:57 PM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by rutan74
BTW, fast forward 2 years and we are in the same ride. I pull up to another older guy (hey I'm 61) and he looks awful. 18 miles in and this guy is sweating like no other. He has been pulling for almost the entire 18 miles and I was quite impressed with his effort. We pull up to a stop sign and he does not look to good. Blown already I thought. I asked him if he was alright and he nodded yes. Fast forward to that 50 mile rest stop and we hear that some guy had a heart attack at rest stop 1! I find out it was this guy. Avid rider in his 50's. So again, just goes to show that looks are deceiving.

john
How far in the route was rest stop 1?
Old 01-30-18, 12:07 PM
rutan74

Bikes: Felt ZR3, Specialized Sectur

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
How far in the route was rest stop 1?
Rest stop 1 was around 20-22 miles. Rest stop 2 was at the 50 mile mark. Total ride was 65 miles.

john
Old 01-30-18, 01:26 PM
Milton Keynes

If he can make it 20 miles while having a heart attack, he's tougher than me. I've never had a heart attack but I'm guessing I'd be sidelined pretty quickly or else flop over dead.
Old 02-03-18, 11:31 PM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
It gets better.
Old 02-26-18, 10:20 AM
Jason9142002

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Cannondale Trail 6, Fuji Track Bike, Giant OCR

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fell while in clipless

I have had stuff thrown at me. I think someone threw an m80 at me from a tow truck. Kids yell stuff at me sometimes. One time I fell twice during the same ride in clipless pedals. The first time my quad hit the curb and these kids called me a fat f@@k. I actually laughed about it and when I tell the story to others. The second fall during the same ride wasn’t as bad physically. A guy with kids ran over and tried to help me up. I was too embarrassed to let him.
I also was riding in the city and 4 kids told me to give them my bike. Well, just the one said it but the others looked like they were taking part in it. I’m 6’4” and weight 308 now. I wouldn’t have any problem with someone trying to get physical with me but I don’t want it to get to that point. So I just ignore the comments. What I hate the most is when drivers put my life in danger by cutting me off. That’s how I fell in the pedals. They didn’t leave me any room at the stop sign or traffic light. I can live with insults but I want to be safe. So I say yell all you want just let me ride safely.