Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

"Green" cleaner for caked on grease?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 01-03-19, 06:12 PM
oldschoolbike

Bikes: 1974 PX-10E sold, 1977 Witcomb stolen, 1980 Roberts 1 speed, 1987 Cyclops 3 x 6 friction triple crank, 2010 Masi Commuter 1 speed, 2017 Ribble 525 2 x 10 with Ergos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts

What is an effective and environmentally safe cleaner, or cleaning process, for removing caked-on sludge on chainrings, cogs, and jockey wheels? I will have the affected components dismantled for the cleaning. ZEP Citrus Degreaser works only OK, and takes a lot of direct scrubbing. BTW, the "old school" method was Varsol or paint thinner and a cheap paint brush, in a retired pie plate. That method needs to be behind us, for several reasons.

Thanks!
Old 01-03-19, 06:23 PM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
Keeping with your green comment try Simple Green. Roger
Old 01-03-19, 08:23 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
A green cleaner isn't green if you dump it down the drain along with the dissolved grease. If if contains grease then it needs to be recycled just like a solvent based cleaner.

This is only one of many reasons why odorless mineral spirits continues to be one of the more responsible degreasers. Grease and dirt settles to the bottom and the clean solvent can be poured off the top. The grease and crud at the bottom can be saved up and eventually brought to the county recycle facility.

Put the parts in an old bike bottle with mineral spirits and shake. That's all.

-Tim-
Old 01-03-19, 11:12 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by rhenning
Keeping with your green comment try Simple Green. Roger
The only thing green about Simple Green is the "Liquitint Colorant." According to the SDS here's what's in it:

C9-11 Alcohols Ethoxylated
Sodium Citrate
Sodium Carbonate
Tetrasodium Glutamate Diacetate
Citric Acid
Methylchloroisothiazolinone
Methylisothiazolinone
Fragrance Proprietary Mixture
Liquitint Colorant

What was all that stuff made from? How much pollution was produced along with the Simple Green?

Branding & trademarks are not "green."
Marketing claims are not "green."
Greenwashing is not "green."
Virtue signalling is not virtuous.
Old 01-04-19, 12:11 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26381 Post(s)
Liked 10,357 Times in 7,194 Posts
Originally Posted by oldschoolbike
What is an effective and environmentally safe cleaner, or cleaning process, for removing caked-on sludge on chainrings, cogs, and jockey wheels? I will have the affected components dismantled for the cleaning.

...by far the best thing I've found is a Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaner. You can keep the amount of cleaning solution you use to a minimum by putting the parts in ziploc bags (which are re-usable for this) along with the cleaner (purple stuff, or simple green mixed about half and half with water). Then the ultrasonic tank itself just needs to be filled with water to transmit the vibrations to your parts through the liquid.

It also helps if you're doing the cleaning for several projects at once.
Old 01-04-19, 12:53 AM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
High school chemistry: water-based degreasers are useless, including anything "green".

White gas (camp fuel) is an outstanding degreaser, with obvious flammability risks. It only takes a small volume of this to strip a good amount of grease. it vaporizes quickly.

It would take multiples of any "Green" conscious-salve product to (ineffectively and laboriously) clean the same amount of grease. And then how do you discard a large amount of oil/ grease contaminated water?

Varsol or mineral spirits are a good compromise.
Old 01-04-19, 06:57 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
An old screwdriver and shop rag.
Old 01-04-19, 07:04 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
High school chemistry: water-based degreasers are useless, including anything "green".

White gas (camp fuel) is an outstanding degreaser, with obvious flammability risks..
And risks of explosive vapors, skin irritation and toxicity via skin absorption and inhalation of vapors, it may also be carcinogenic. Please only use gasoline for motor and lamp fuel.
Old 01-04-19, 07:07 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
Save your old toothbrushes, maybe buy a brass brush and a cassette pick/brush. And a little soap and water.

Mechanical removal takes a little more time and effort but I think it's worth it for the home mechanic. There's a place for petroleum solvents, but use them sparingly and safely.
Old 01-04-19, 07:11 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
An old screwdriver and shop rag.
Yes! The way to handle caked on crud is not to try to dissolve it using large amounts of whatever solvent/cleaner. The first step is to scrape or chip most of it off. I usually use a plastic scraper or a piece of thin wood. Once you get rid of most of it, then it's pretty easy to clean up the residue.
Old 01-04-19, 07:14 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Old 01-04-19, 08:04 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
Mechanical removal takes a little more time and effort but I think it's worth it for the home mechanic.
A wire wheel mounted on a bench grinder makes mechanical removal much easier.
Old 01-04-19, 08:44 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

OP asked for environmentally safe.

A wire wheel makes grease fly everywhere. It's great if you want grease all over your shop.

-Tim-
Old 01-04-19, 08:47 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 777 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
A green cleaner isn't green if you dump it down the drain along with the dissolved grease. If if contains grease then it needs to be recycled just like a solvent based cleaner.

This is only one of many reasons why odorless mineral spirits continues to be one of the more responsible degreasers. Grease and dirt settles to the bottom and the clean solvent can be poured off the top. The grease and crud at the bottom can be saved up and eventually brought to the county recycle facility.

Put the parts in an old bike bottle with mineral spirits and shake. That's all.

-Tim-
How does this work on chains?
Im going to try in any event, thx for good advice
Old 01-04-19, 08:50 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Also going to go with mechanical removal for the 'first assault'
Wire-bristle brushes are good for chains, rings, and jockey cages. Dip it in a little bit of OMS or kerosene if the stuff is really caked on.
An old shoelace can be used to 'floss' a cassette. Does a good job at getting the big chunks out from in between the cogs.
Old 01-04-19, 04:36 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
Wire-bristle brushes are good for chains, rings, and jockey cages. Dip it in a little bit of OMS or kerosene if the stuff is really caked on.
An old shoelace can be used to 'floss' a cassette. Does a good job at getting the big chunks out from in between the cogs.
Oh, that shoelace suggestion is a good one for things like that! Thanks!
Old 01-07-19, 04:34 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Diesel fuel is the best degreaser.
Old 01-07-19, 05:22 PM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts

Old 01-07-19, 05:29 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts

Finish Line Gear Floss Microfiber Rope Stops my wife from complaining that my shoes are missing their laces.
Old 01-07-19, 05:44 PM
Mickey2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
First step for me is soapy water, tooth brush, rags of torn up old towels or sheets; it often does the job on any grime. Basic chain oil will dissolve a lot of dried up dirt if left to soak in. I have tried various spray can stuff and many of them work well. Some of the citrus cleaners are very strong and should be up to the worst of jobs, other citrus cleaners are milder and will not harm paint so I guess some will stand up better to the though challenges. I have used spray can stuff like WD-40, CRC 5-56, or TF2 teflon spray lubricant, the work well as degrimers. So far I haven't found a favorite among the bio and vegetable based lines, except for the citrus cleaners I haven't rebought any of the products I have tried. A simple and low priced trick can be to soak in warm water and washing powder (for clothes), it's eco friendly and it works very well when you have the parts off the bike. Don't leave it too long, rinse off and whipe parts dry.

Last edited by Mickey2; 01-07-19 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-07-19, 06:00 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by RGMN

Finish Line Gear Floss Microfiber Rope Stops my wife from complaining that my shoes are missing their laces.

Cut up an old t-shirt and you will have yards and yards of the stuff for free.

Microfiber seems like overkill for cleaning greasy parts.

-Tim-
Old 01-07-19, 06:06 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
"environmentally safe" would be isolated from the environment, then all the detritus removed has to go somewhere .. there Really is is no Away to throw things only hiding it from yourself...
Old 01-07-19, 06:09 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by RGMN

An ultrasonic cleaner is more thorough and less messy.
Old 01-09-19, 05:24 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,905 Posts
New chain if it's been through a lot could cost just as much when comparing to the chemical[s] price tag [can't forget clean-up costs too!], your time [don't undercut your labor value], reliability once it's all assembled.
Chains have been really affordable in my recent experiences. I'll continue to maintenance the der's & generally clean the bicycle, but I'll replace the chain.
Old 01-09-19, 10:39 AM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
"environmentally safe" would be isolated from the environment, then all the detritus removed has to go somewhere .. there Really is is no Away to throw things only hiding it from yourself...
This can't be repeated enough in this thread.

There's a maxim "use the weakest chemical that will do the job." If you want to read between the lines here: use the weakest chemical that does the job using a reasonable amount of it [the chemical], doesn't waste a ton of your time, and isn't a nightmare to dispose of.

Do y'all know how you are supposed to dispose of Simple Green and all those other 'green' or 'natural' cleaners? You can't/shouldn't just pour it down a drain or into soil. Capture all of the used liquid (clean over a container), then pour it all out into an evaporation tray. Once the liquid evaporates off, you need to collect the remaining soil, and take it to a hazmat disposal, since it contains petroleum distillates. Compare this with using mineral spirits, for instance:

You clean over a container using a small amount of mineral spirits. Pour this suspension of crap into a jar, and allow the stuff to settle. Decant the mineral spirits off the top back into the container, or simply wait until you have a full jar, and use it until it no longer cleans effectively...which will be a far longer time than a water-based cleaner. Once it no longer works effectively for your purposes (oil in the mixture will become a larger and larger part), bring the jar to be disposed of at a hazmat site (some auto shops accept these...).

Considering that you need to work in a well-ventilated space, it's a small trade-off to have a superior tool for the job.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.