Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Frame ID Help Needed

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Frame ID Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-20, 12:18 PM
jc907

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Frame ID Help Needed

Hi y'all,

I have an 18", white, aluminum, hard tailed mountain bike frame that was purchased some years ago (6?) and only now am I able to get around to building on it. I can't recall where I got it from, but I do remember it being on sale and very cheap at that. I'd like to know who made it.

The serial number, PF101079, is located on the underside of the BB and there is a squarish size decal with "Made in China" under the "18" on the lower front of the seat tube just under lower bottle cage bose.

The frame also has attachment points for disc brakes on the left seat stay which also has 2 curious (to me anyway) scalloped attachments higher up as you approach the seat. In addition, there's a reinforcement piece welded on the underside of the down tube where it meets the head tube.

My apologies for not having any pictures to accompany this request, but being a newbie, I can't post pics until I have 10 posts and this is only my 2nd one. Naturally, I will be providing pics as soon as I am able to.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 05-13-20, 02:00 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
I would put $10 on it being made by Kinesis. I'm not sure how that helps you, do you have questions about what parts to use? This post might be better in the mechanics section.
Old 05-14-20, 12:36 AM
jc907

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks

Thank you for that.

It really doesn't help me to know and I thought it was a long shot to ask, but it seemed logical to think that I just might have success if I asked those who actually build them.
I just want to know.

I bought it with the idea of transferring parts from my '94 GT Tequesta to it. At the same time, I also purchased what I thought was a very attractive carbon fiber Forte handle bar which is incredibly light. This has actually turned out to be an enjoyable experience since in the process of replacing such items as brake pads, cables and such, I've had the opportunity to get creative in mixing and matching different colored parts. The white frame not having any manufacturer's identifying marks, labels or badges also allows for my build to have a more personal look to it. I never did care to be an advertising board without being compensated for it.

Anyway, thanks again
Old 05-14-20, 07:46 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4204 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,309 Posts
What we hobby (which is most of us here) and pro builders do is so far removed from what high volume production factories do there should be no surprise that we can't help much with this ID. Unless the frame has specific to a certain brand details (like GT's helenic stays, embossed tops/crowns, drop outs, tubing manipulations or cable routing elements) and one of us had focused on these before... Andy
Old 05-14-20, 07:50 AM
jc907

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Long shot in the dark

I knew it would be a long shot in the dark to ask. But if you don't ask, you definitely won't get an answer. If you do, then maybe, just maybe...
Old 05-14-20, 05:24 PM
jc907

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pics

BB

What are these strange attachment points on the seat stay?
Old 05-14-20, 06:23 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
strange attachment points on the seat stay are zip tie cable guides in case you want to use disc brakes.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 05-15-20, 06:07 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
I have the same frame in Black. It is one of the MTB frames that Nashbar was selling as their own brand for $99. I'm pretty sure that it came with decals in the box, but I never put them on the frame. I don't know who made them, but I'd also bet money that it was Kinesis.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 05-15-20, 07:35 AM
jc907

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dsaul
I have the same frame in Black. It is one of the MTB frames that Nashbar was selling as their own brand for $99. I'm pretty sure that it came with decals in the box, but I never put them on the frame. I don't know who made them, but I'd also bet money that it was Kinesis.
Thanks for that. At least I know what it is now.
If you don't mind saying, how did it work for you?
Old 05-15-20, 07:44 AM
jc907

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finally & Conclusively IDd:

Thank you all for the input!
Cycle Frames : Nashbar Nashbar Double-butted Aluminum Mountain Bike Frame - 20"
Old 05-15-20, 08:38 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
Originally Posted by jc907
Thanks for that. At least I know what it is now.
If you don't mind saying, how did it work for you?
Its a well constructed, lightweight, aluminum frame. The 1 1/8" head tube is a bit restrictive, as most modern forks are tapered. The head tube angle is also quite steep by modern standards, but it should make a nice MTB or hybrid style bike with a short travel fork or a suspension corrected rigid fork.
Old 05-15-20, 09:38 AM
jc907

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dsaul
Its a well constructed, lightweight, aluminum frame. The 1 1/8" head tube is a bit restrictive, as most modern forks are tapered. The head tube angle is also quite steep by modern standards, but it should make a nice MTB or hybrid style bike with a short travel fork or a suspension corrected rigid fork.
Thanks again dsaul.

I am currently making this into a general purpose everyday rider using as much from my old '94 GT Tequesta as I can and replacing the rest with items that are as light weight as possible (while staying low budget) to take advantage of the weight savings this frame has over the old GT frame which is substantial.

So far, the wheels, brakes, shifting system, drive train and pedals have mostly been saved with the only exception being replacement of the front derailleur. The original did no fit the seat tube and this frame is designed to have a top fed cable for that derailleur. I replaced it with a Shimano Alivio. It's cheap, seems to be reliable according to user reviews and fits perfectly. Otherwise, everything else is being replaced and I plan to convert the tires to tubeless.

I've purchased all the parts and while it did come out costing almost as much as a whole new bike with this frame would have cost back in 2014 (just over $200!), I'll have something unique and built as I want it that'll probably weigh a bit less.
Old 05-19-20, 05:10 PM
jc907

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rebuild update

Well, she's just about finished. I'm just waiting on some decal protection, new CF seat post and saddle and a chain stay saver. With the exception of the chain not wanting to shift to the smallest ring on the cassette (probably just a minor derailleur adjustment that I'm not figuring out), she works smooth as butter on the pavement, has positive/quiet braking, excellent shifting, very nice street manners and weighs quite noticeably less than the 1995 GT Tequesta it started out as. The new seat post and saddle will bring the weight down another pound or so.

An additional plus is the neck extension places me in a much better position that doesn't exacerbate my neck surgeries which means my hands don't go numb and I can ride longer.

It remains to be seen if all the cheap Chinese replacement parts (headset, stem extension, handlebar holder) will hold up over time, but for now, it's all looking and feeling very good.

I can't wait to try her on the trails.

Not too bad for a 6-7 year old frame with mostly 25-26 year old parts.

2013 Nashbar frame w/old GT Tequesta wheels, drive train (Shimano STX rear derailleur & shifters) & rear brake/levers. Manitou fork is from about 2008.

She's going to get a Maori themed decal frame protection set and black foam chain stay pro.

I hope the mud guards work.

Rear brake line is quite cozy up on the rear mudguard, but it doesn't affect braking in any way whatsoever and doesn't seem to be at risk of wear by rubbing against each other.

New, cheap Shimano shifter fits & works great!
Old 05-19-20, 06:43 PM
jc907

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rebuild update

Well, she's just about finished. I'm just waiting on some decal protection, new CF seat post and saddle and a chain stay saver. With the exception of the chain not wanting to shift to the smallest ring on the cassette (probably just a minor derailleur adjustment that I'm not figuring out), she works smooth as butter on the pavement, has positive/quiet braking, excellent shifting, very nice street manners and weighs quite noticeably less than the 1995 GT Tequesta it started out as. The new seat post and saddle will bring the weight down another pound or so.

An additional plus is the neck extension places me in a much better position that doesn't exacerbate my neck surgeries which means my hands don't go numb and I can ride longer.

It remains to be seen if all the cheap Chinese replacement parts (headset, stem extension, handlebar holder) will hold up over time, but for now, it's all looking and feeling very good.

I can't wait to try her on the trails.

Not too bad for a 6-7 year old frame with mostly 25-26 year old parts.

2013 Nashbar frame w/old GT Tequesta wheels, drive train (Shimano STX rear derailleur & shifters) & rear brake/levers. Manitou fork is from about 2008.

She's going to get a Maori themed decal frame protection set and black foam chain stay pro.

I hope the mud guards work.

Rear brake line is quite cozy up on the rear mudguard, but it doesn't affect braking in any way whatsoever and doesn't seem to be at risk of wear by rubbing against each other.

New, cheap Shimano shifter fits & works great!
Old 05-19-20, 11:15 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4204 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,309 Posts
Seatstay rack mounting bolts really could use a wider washer bearing against the bracket. A slotted bracket likes a lot of clamping surface area. Andy