Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Water Bottle Cage $50.00

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Water Bottle Cage $50.00

Old 06-27-20, 07:45 PM
Tacoenthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by roskobosko
Well, I'm already using those items, so no added weight, I'm not suggesting one solution is better than another, have fun riding
But if you used the bottle cage you could ditch your pack right?
the packs are added weight just like the cage is

Why fuss over a couple grams on a 30 lb bike?
Old 06-27-20, 07:51 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Just commenting on what I considered a pricy bike cage from my perspective, no biggie.
Just curious, what you consider is an expensive bike?

And not that a $500 doesn't do the same job.
Old 06-27-20, 08:37 PM
roskobosko

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Just curious, what you consider is an expensive bike?

And not that a $500 doesn't do the same job.
Santa Cruz CC XO, my latest purchase, seems like a lot to me
Old 06-27-20, 08:41 PM
roskobosko

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Well if I was worried about a few grams I wouldn't have drank that beer with the pasta tonight, it was pretty tasty though, anyways I think the CC version of my new toy comes in at under 30 by more than a few grams, I'm excited to have it, Aloha.
Old 06-27-20, 08:47 PM
roskobosko

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Ok, probably enough on this topic. just casually mentioning I thought $50 for a bottle cage was more than I would spend on one, not actually looking for gear suggestions, or that it wasn't the right gear for someone else,
Old 06-27-20, 09:11 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 718 Posts
All relative, don't know what your bike actually cost but a search on CC XO seems to cover a range of reasonable 2500, to understandable for someone into of 4500 to an outlandish 6500; course others will think 2500 cheap or outlandish and 6500 a bargain. All up to the individual, same goes for bottle cages.

Ok, probably enough on this topic. just casually mentioning I thought $50 for a bottle cage was more than I would spend on one, not actually looking for gear suggestions, or that it wasn't the right gear for someone else,
Problem is claiming its better to stick a bottle on a fanny pack then spend 50 on a cage and then not expecting a response especially when its a commonly sold cage. Personally for a Santa Cruz I'd go with something cheap and aluminum which is what I did for my MTB and what I will do for my cross bike. But then I've wrecked several cages over the years smashing them with my knee, leg or elbow during crashes and carries on both those style bikes and broken carbon is sharp. Now the road bike, that gets a pair of 55.00 carbon cages but I've also never broken a cage on a road bike and only had one fail.
Plus side, I've bookmarked the portland cages, those are cool.
Old 06-27-20, 09:22 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Widefoot.

Likes For Gconan:
Old 06-27-20, 10:29 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
I got my Cateye carbon cages for like cheap. They were accidentally sent to the shop, so the shop passed em on to me. I got them for like $30 a piece. 18g each and have never lost a bottle. They reside on my Supersix hi-mod.

Funny this pops up when I am shopping for Cages for the Gravel bike. I'll probably just opt for KingCage stainless. Cheaper than Ti, and it's not like I am going for weight savings. on it. However 2 stainless cages, and then 2 King Manything cages. so maybe I am going for weight savings.....

All of my other bikes have $6 cheap no name aluminum cages. they get bent, bend em back. need a tighter fit, give it a quick adjust on the fly. Crashed the mtb many times, maybe dropped a bottle once. but that was a 6 foot nose down whoops, that well the head tube and fork survived, no wonder it ejected a bottle.
These are my carbon cages on road bike.
https://www.modernbike.com/cateye-ca...er-bottle-cage

Last edited by Metieval; 06-27-20 at 10:33 PM.
Old 06-27-20, 10:35 PM
Metieval

Cage for a single bottle $50, I have decided to just stick a bottle in my pack, fanny pack, or jersey. https://www.rei.com/product/152999/b...er-bottle-cage
I'll drop $50 on a cage, but Not that design. Maybe for the road, but for anything else I don't trust the weight of 24 ounce bottle bouncing on that little tiny tab!
Likes For Metieval:
Old 06-28-20, 05:51 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Not cheap but also not as expensive as many.

I see its a MTB and generally offroaders don't use bottle cages since the rough terrain tends to toss them. Most use a hydration back pack. Also weight is not as big a thing as it is on a road bike.

My road bike is 14# and that included pedals, bottle cages and Garmin. This is why I spend the stupid amount for CF cages. I also have a cyclocross bike that I ride offroad and on that I have nylon cases. It's in the same price range as your bike and weighs 20# complete.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 06-28-20, 07:16 AM
roskobosko

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Not cheap but also not as expensive as many.

I see its a MTB and generally offroaders don't use bottle cages since the rough terrain tends to toss them. Most use a hydration back pack. Also weight is not as big a thing as it is on a road bike.

My road bike is 14# and that included pedals, bottle cages and Garmin. This is why I spend the stupid amount for CF cages. I also have a cyclocross bike that I ride offroad and on that I have nylon cases. It's in the same price range as your bike and weighs 20# complete.

Wow, 14 Lbs, I've been riding a lower end Hybrid mostly for exercise before I got the MTN bike, kick stand, bottle cage, lights, whatever I wanted, but pushing 33 lbs, I still take it out for casual rides with friends.
Old 06-28-20, 07:50 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 133 Posts
Welcome to the road bike world, where weight savings cost, and under 10 bucks a gram is considered a pretty good deal.

Otoh, when I bought my new tubeless ready Marin last year, I took a deep breath when I started pricing tubeless tires. I decided to go cheap by using slime tubes until I wore the stock Schwalbes out.

If you think a 50 buck cage is pricey, wait till you wear stuff out on that 7k Santa Cruz.
Old 06-28-20, 07:51 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 533 Posts
There are needs, and there are wants. Much happier paying up for the wants.
Tim
Old 06-28-20, 07:51 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
REI usually has aluminum cages in a bunch of colors for a few bucks. We've got a couple, they're fine.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 06-28-20, 07:58 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
I like carbon cages. They're light, hold well, don't bend, and don't put black marks on my bottles. But I usually spend about $15 apiece, not $50-80.
Old 06-28-20, 08:02 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
My water bottle cages cost $ 6.95 each.
Old 06-28-20, 08:09 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 777 Times in 495 Posts
There are many great bottle cage options. I love the King SS and another well constructed and very nice looking on a steel is the SS model from:

https://www.arundelbike.com/product-.../bottle-cages/
Old 06-28-20, 10:38 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by wolfchild
My water bottle cages cost $ 6.95 each.
Most will "hold" a water bottle, but some of us are a bit anal when it comes to weight and price doesn't matter.

My wife is a under $10 cage. Actually it was free, she had them include it when she bought the bike last year.

Mine were a bit more expensive, but they gave me the jersey for free

Last edited by GlennR; 06-28-20 at 02:44 PM.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 06-28-20, 02:36 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
A cheap aluminium cage isn't going to add any noticeable weight to a bike. Few extra milligrams isn't going to make any difference in a ride.
Old 06-28-20, 02:43 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by wolfchild
A cheap aluminium cage isn't going to add any noticeable weight to a bike. Few extra milligrams isn't going to make any difference in a ride.
Neither is an extra pound or two. Right?
Old 06-28-20, 03:30 PM
Metieval

Neither is an extra pound or two. Right?
I had that argument when I went Disc brake.

I like them, but my 17 lb bike could be a lot less.

The good news is now that I changed my lifesyle of hydration. I only ride with one 24 oz bottle for a 50 mile ride vs 2 bottles.

Edit, Wanna buy a carbon bottle cage???? LOL I KID!
Old 06-28-20, 03:39 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I like carbon cages. They're light, hold well, don't bend, and don't put black marks on my bottles. But I usually spend about $15 apiece, not $50-80.
I like that I can bend metal cages on the occasions that I have something slightly outsized to put in there. Some cages are more brittle than others in those terms, and some of the narrow gauge metal ones are a little too flexy, but it’s good to have a happy medium.

I have never picked up a bottle cage that I could possibly consider “heavy” by any reasonable definition. And I include the crappy plastic ones you find in Big Box stores in there.
Old 06-28-20, 03:42 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4728 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
Ya, I just hadn't seen any high end bottle cages before. Just being a little snarky, coming from a guy who just bought a pretty pricy bike (although a good deal), SC Tallboy CC XO build, seems a little crazy but I am enjoying the bike.
A very nice bottle holder is the Lightweight Edelhefer.. No bike is complete without a pair of these

LIGHTWEIGHT EDELHEFER
Old 06-28-20, 03:42 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,190 Times in 2,351 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Or buy a King SS cage for around $18. I am a huge fan of cages, but not paying high prices for them. The Kings work really well. In and out is easy and the bottles don't come out. They last a long time and look decent. (Plus I hate carrying bottles in my jersey pocket and getting it back in after a drink.)

King is one of those rare companies. They make waterbottle cages. Two materials but identical save that. And that is all they do. (Well I think they make one other item.) They don't change styles every year, Don't advertise much at all. Just took a time honored and very good cage (the French TA), copied its shape and function, came up with a cleaner and stronger design and made them. Still do. I suspect they have a small working space, a few good long term employees and just keep a regular supply coming. I doubt there is a lot of variation to their business and I suspect they very rarely have to deal with returns.
Or titanium for $60. I happen to have 2 of them that I got at a festival discount several years ago for $30 each instead of 60. Mr. King was demonstrating how they were made. It’s a fascinating process.

But King Cages makes a bit more than just water bottle cages. They make 3 cages (classic Ti, stainless, and the Iris), some fork mount cages like Salsa Anything Cages, Titanium tire levers , flask cages and Ti straws. I have two of them straws in addition to a whole bunch of cages. Good stuff that’s not as hoohum as the plastic Bontragers.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-28-20, 04:02 PM
roskobosko

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
A very nice bottle holder is the Lightweight Edelhefer.. No bike is complete without a pair of these

LIGHTWEIGHT EDELHEFER

I rode Wood Canyon to Cook's Corner (paved) and back on my hybrid this morning, looked down at my bottle cage and the water was gone LOL. I'm guessing I don't need a cage on my MTN bike.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.