Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

DIY Systems

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

DIY Systems

Old 08-12-20, 07:55 PM
paulmalva

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chas58
I built this about 7 years ago. I have a couple of mountain bikes, but I love this one. Gets me to work swiftly.

Just put a new “cheap Chinese” battery in it. 10ah and about 3lbs. That was impossible 7 years ago. Its about 28lbs with a battery, so it rides a lot like a road bike. It was inspired by the original Specialized Turbo, but I had this done before Specialized came to market with their first e-bike. I do smile when people show me their $8,000 road bikes. (Donner bike is a 19lb Specialized)

I have build a couple of mountain bikes too, but there is something about well designed road bike. Road it 26 miles at a cruising speed of ~25mph on a 3lb battery. Had my snowblower battery as a range extender to give me another 20 minutes to get home. (Gotta love a big chain ring!)

As for quality – Quality vendors like EM3ev put together a quality kit. Most everyone else in Asia has crap – so I often end up changing out the connectors for good stuff. (Powerpole, XT90 sparkless)

Here is the “stealth” bike with the small 10ah battery (10s3p). So much nicer than that 10lb battery I had to use years ago (that frame bag is half empty).
During non Covid commuting days, I tend to use a brown Brooks saddle with a thudbuster matching the handlebar tape.

DIY Specialized Turbo
Love this setup!
Old 09-11-20, 09:36 AM
danh123

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I added a Tongsheng TSDZ2 750w to a Miyata road bike. What do you guys prefer for chainring in the front? I have the tongsheng default whcih is 42 or 46. I think 50 or 52 would be better.