Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXIX

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXIX

Old 08-03-20, 11:36 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20805 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I read a book somewhere.
That's the word on the street, but tell that to the people that read your book reports. I think they may disagree.

Last edited by LAJ; 08-03-20 at 11:40 AM.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-03-20, 11:40 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,850 Times in 6,067 Posts
Originally Posted by mvnsnd
I have a house key on a paracord loop I wear around my neck. It's long enough to go over my head with the helmet on. I once lost a key from a saddlebag, so nothing of real value goes in there anymore. I put my license and some cash in a freezer style zipper bag with my phone and that goes in the jersey pocket.
That's what I do. I get a lot of ziploc bags that are just iPhone size free at work, because a lot of lab reagents and such are delivered in them. We end up with drawers full of them.

I got in the habit, when I rode after work, of carrying my entire wallet whenever I drive to ride. And I'd worry about it falling out, which it never did, but periodically I'd reach back to make sure it was still there. Last week, I finally realized if I'm driving from HOME, all I need is license and insurance card. I toss in my health insurance card and at least a Fiver.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-03-20, 11:41 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8259 Post(s)
Liked 8,990 Times in 4,452 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
A couple weeks ago, I got a text that an $8 purchase had been made in Australia on one of my credit cards. Normally, when you call an issuing bank about something like this, it's bing-bang-boom and they're happy to shut it down.

When I called this time, US Bank/REI card, it was like pulling teeth. "Are you currently traveling?" Uh, during the pandemic? No. "Were you in Australia?" Uh, during the pandemic? No. "When was the last time that you used the card?" I don't know - it's been several months. "With which vendor did you last use the card?" I don't know - it's been several month. "Are you going to file a police report?" Over an $8 charge? Do I need to do that in order to dispute the charge with you? "Well, it is a felony." So do I need to file a report? "No, but if you do, we need to have the case number." Okay, if I decide to file a police report about the $8 made by a person in Australia, can I just call you back with the case number? "Yes, you can do that." Okay, why don't we go with that route for now.
Crazy. All of my stuff was local except the Verizon accounts which were 90 miles from here. I think one was a Target card. Two other credit cards were started but they were mailed to my home address. Maybe he thought he could use the credit card numbers without having the cards but I don't know how he would get the numbers.
Old 08-03-20, 11:44 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by big john
Crazy. All of my stuff was local except the Verizon accounts which were 90 miles from here. I think one was a Target card. Two other credit cards were started but they were mailed to my home address. Maybe he thought he could use the credit card numbers without having the cards but I don't know how he would get the numbers.
Lol. Yeah, sounds like you got lucky and had a dumb criminal find your wallet.
Old 08-03-20, 11:47 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,491 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Miles this year? Daaayumm!
I don't Strava, so they don't count.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-03-20, 12:01 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22571 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Re: Identity Theft, the law enforcement folks are too busy to be bothered. I found out that someone opened up a credit card in my name a year ago, charged it to the max (I think it was $500) and never paid. They used my name/ssn but an address in Ohio. I had all the credit bureaus freeze my credit and tried to report the crime. The cops pretty much laughed at me but did take down the info so there is an incident report at least, but I am confident there was no investigation.
Old 08-03-20, 12:03 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3251 Post(s)
Liked 2,075 Times in 975 Posts
A couple weeks ago, I got a text that an $8 purchase had been made in Australia on one of my credit cards. Normally, when you call an issuing bank about something like this, it's bing-bang-boom and they're happy to shut it down.

When I called this time, US Bank/REI card, it was like pulling teeth. "Are you currently traveling?" Uh, during the pandemic? No. "Were you in Australia?" Uh, during the pandemic? No. "When was the last time that you used the card?" I don't know - it's been several months. "With which vendor did you last use the card?" I don't know - it's been several month. "Are you going to file a police report?" Over an $8 charge? Do I need to do that in order to dispute the charge with you? "Well, it is a felony." So do I need to file a report? "No, but if you do, we need to have the case number." Okay, if I decide to file a police report about the $8 made by a person in Australia, can I just call you back with the case number? "Yes, you can do that." Okay, why don't we go with that route for now.
they make those tiny charges first to see if you’ll notice. That happened to me, first it was a charge for 10 bucks I never made, then 45 then 100, I didn’t notice until the $100 charge for KCups
Old 08-03-20, 12:04 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by big john
Two other credit cards were started but they were mailed to my home address. Maybe he thought he could use the credit card numbers without having the cards but I don't know how he would get the numbers.
Here's what was likely going to happen. The ID thief opens an account on line using your information. Then they transfer a balance to the fraudulent account. The issuer of the new account does not wait until the alleged applicant verifies the authenticity of account by activating the card that he receives in the mail before processing the transfer. Why? Because someone who is transferring a balance likely cannot pay it off, which means the sooner the transfer is complete, the more finance charges the new account will likely accrue.

That is precisely what happened to me maybe a decade ago. Fortunately, I found the cards in the mail as soon as I got them and realized they were fraudulent. Called the issuing bank. It was a day away from processing the balance transfer. I'm lucky that I opened the mailing. Normally, I would toss what looks like junk mail aside, but I felt the cards inside and decided open the envelope.
Old 08-03-20, 12:04 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
There was a case, in my home county in southeast Ohio, where the business owner shot the thief in the back as he was fleeing out the window.
Big problems for the robbed man. Virtually none for the thief. And, from what I read, Ebay works on the same principal. The seller has no protections at all. In fact my dad was defrauded, while conducting a sale for me. He could never again open a Paypal account.

Old 08-03-20, 12:20 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by phrantic09
they make those tiny charges first to see if you’ll notice. That happened to me, first it was a charge for 10 bucks I never made, then 45 then 100, I didn’t notice until the $100 charge for KCups
Yeah, that's why issuing banks are usually really happy when you call them about the test charges. That in mind, I just couldn't understand why she was making the process so painful.
Old 08-03-20, 12:22 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3348 Post(s)
Liked 3,596 Times in 1,238 Posts
Question for the camera people:

My wife has a Canon EOS-M. Currently she has lenses in 22mm and 18-55mm. The 22mm doesn't really see any use at all, but the 18-55 has been quite useful for her - it seems to work well for her but she has expressed interest in getting something more on the telephoto side of things. Much of her photography is macro images of plants and the 18-55 is really great for that, but I'm sure there's been images she's wanted that the lens wouldn't give her.

The two lenses I'm looking at getting for her are a 18-150mm or a 55-200mm. It seems like the 18-150 would cover most of her general shooting but would obsolete her current 18-55, except in size. I'd imagine that the 55-200 would be a good addition to her current equipment, but I'm not sure how keen she would be on carrying around two lenses.

Would you prefer to have both the 18-55 and 55-200 or just the 18-150?

I'm leaning towards getting her the 55-200 but I'll be honest in saying that it might take some searching to find a used 18-150 that would be in my price range and that's coloring my opinion.
Old 08-03-20, 12:27 PM
WhyFi

Ha. I'm not really active on FB any more, I mostly just post kid pics for the benefit of family members, but every once in a while I get a smile out of the "On this day..." reminders. This was 10 years ago - time goes fast.

Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-03-20, 12:36 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by abshipp
Question for the camera people:

My wife has a Canon EOS-M. Currently she has lenses in 22mm and 18-55mm. The 22mm doesn't really see any use at all, but the 18-55 has been quite useful for her - it seems to work well for her but she has expressed interest in getting something more on the telephoto side of things. Much of her photography is macro images of plants and the 18-55 is really great for that, but I'm sure there's been images she's wanted that the lens wouldn't give her.

The two lenses I'm looking at getting for her are a 18-150mm or a 55-200mm. It seems like the 18-150 would cover most of her general shooting but would obsolete her current 18-55, except in size. I'd imagine that the 55-200 would be a good addition to her current equipment, but I'm not sure how keen she would be on carrying around two lenses.

Would you prefer to have both the 18-55 and 55-200 or just the 18-150?

I'm leaning towards getting her the 55-200 but I'll be honest in saying that it might take some searching to find a used 18-150 that would be in my price range and that's coloring my opinion.
Super-zooms, those with a really big field of view difference between the short and long ends, typically aren't that great optically. They're usually comparatively heavy and expensive, too. Out of the two choices presented, I'd def go with the addition of a 55-200 rather than replacing the 18-55 with the 18-150.

What kinds of shots is she unable to get at this point, though? If you're talking true macro, or even close to it, the 55-200 probably isn't going to help (I haven't looked up the max mag on it, but I'd doubt it's more than 1:3).
Old 08-03-20, 12:50 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3348 Post(s)
Liked 3,596 Times in 1,238 Posts
Super-zooms, those with a really big field of view difference between the short and long ends, typically aren't that great optically. They're usually comparatively heavy and expensive, too. Out of the two choices presented, I'd def go with the addition of a 55-200 rather than replacing the 18-55 with the 18-150.

What kinds of shots is she unable to get at this point, though? If you're talking true macro, or even close to it, the 55-200 probably isn't going to help (I haven't looked up the max mag on it, but I'd doubt it's more than 1:3).
Ah that's good to know about super-zoom lenses. The lighter the lens the better, too, since it will be going on a pretty compact mirrorless body.

She can get pretty much all of the close-up stuff she wants with the 18-55, an example of where it fell a bit short is on our recent trip up north where she was trying to get a shot of a frog but the lens wouldn't get her quite as close as she wanted. But like I said, I don't really see her being too stoked on carrying two lenses, but maybe she would if it would open up a whole lot more possibilities.
Old 08-03-20, 12:50 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8259 Post(s)
Liked 8,990 Times in 4,452 Posts
Here's what was likely going to happen. The ID thief opens an account on line using your information. Then they transfer a balance to the fraudulent account. The issuer of the new account does not wait until the alleged applicant verifies the authenticity of account by activating the card that he receives in the mail before processing the transfer. Why? Because someone who is transferring a balance likely cannot pay it off, which means the sooner the transfer is complete, the more finance charges the new account will likely accrue.

That is precisely what happened to me maybe a decade ago. Fortunately, I found the cards in the mail as soon as I got them and realized they were fraudulent. Called the issuing bank. It was a day away from processing the balance transfer. I'm lucky that I opened the mailing. Normally, I would toss what looks like junk mail aside, but I felt the cards inside and decided open the envelope.
I didn't know about that. I just assumed the guy was stupid.
Old 08-03-20, 01:05 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by abshipp
Ah that's good to know about super-zoom lenses. The lighter the lens the better, too, since it will be going on a pretty compact mirrorless body.

She can get pretty much all of the close-up stuff she wants with the 18-55, an example of where it fell a bit short is on our recent trip up north where she was trying to get a shot of a frog but the lens wouldn't get her quite as close as she wanted. But like I said, I don't really see her being too stoked on carrying two lenses, but maybe she would if it would open up a whole lot more possibilities.

Ah, okay. Yeah, if you have two lenses with similar max magnification, but at significantly different focal lengths, you won't get any closer visually, but you can be further away physically - this is known as giving you a longer 'working distance.' This is great for instances when you can't or don't want to get physically closer to your subject.

The tele would open up a lot. It's not going to be that cumbersome, either. Whether or not she takes to it is anybody's guess, though. Many love tele lenses, but it's never been my thing.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-03-20, 01:21 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22571 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
I don't Strava, so they don't count.
You will NEVER be a legend with that approach. Sad!
Likes For datlas:
Old 08-03-20, 01:36 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Also, I don't know if it's going to happen this week, but I do want to get in a 200k some time soon.
I would like to get 25k in some time soon
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 08-03-20, 01:44 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10234 Post(s)
Liked 5,178 Times in 2,222 Posts
I've come to love the little zipped pocket on the Rapha Core jerseys for just this type of thing - fits some cards/cash and a key or two perfectly. I like them so much that I decided against buying a Lightweight Core jersey (more breathable) when I saw that they didn't have the zipped pocket.

The cheapo jerseys I buy at Lidel for 6 bucks have the zipper, My 60 dollars Pearls do not.....
Old 08-03-20, 02:06 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by datlas
That reminds me - I got a Local Legend today, so I've got the palmares to retire on top

It's a 5 mile section that's on my off-day loop, but it's actually a very heavily traveled corridor, so I'm surprised that I've got the most "attempts."
Old 08-03-20, 02:07 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by datlas
I’m a legend in my own mind. That’s good enough for me.
Old 08-03-20, 02:10 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by phrantic09
I would like to get 25k in some time soon
You know, I wasn't being *that* serious about that probation period thing.
Old 08-03-20, 02:12 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
I think that Bah Humbug means to unseat me this week.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 08-03-20, 02:12 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

You know, I wasn't being *that* serious about that probation period thing.
I finally feel 100% and we’re going to get 4 inches of rain tomorrow, depending on the intensity early morning I may just HTFU and go anyway.
Old 08-03-20, 02:15 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
You were right. Just got off the phone with Apple. Tried a few things that did not work. Couldn't even reset the phone. Then the guy the precise model number. Bingo. Turns out units with my model number produced between a certain time frame spanning 2016 to 2018 are prone logic board failures. Company is entitled to free repair or replace. I am hoping they order me a new one right away and then sort things out with Apple.
#itjustworks

Apples never have problems until they do. And when you bring up that they do, the faithful will accuse you of picking nits. Glad you're getting it sorted though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.