Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Peugeot PH12 Centenary

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Peugeot PH12 Centenary

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-20, 03:41 PM
Schlafen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by PeugeotPH12
That sounds interesting. What is your plan, how you gonna achieve these -2.85 kg?
I was planning to experiment: 1x, ti carbon hubs, custom carbon downtube shifter, sram red rear derailleur/crankset, carbon bars, carbon fork, 24h/18h alloy narrow wheels. 11 speed red casette. Or something like that.
Old 09-18-20, 05:37 AM
Schlafen

I've just had my mind blown this morning.

For whatever reason looking at this bike, the 54cm frame 'label' didn't sit well with my eyes.
To get it off my mind I got the measuring tape out and, conveniently, the crank bolt cover has a slit right in the middle, measured again: c-c it is a 57cm seat tube and 56cm top tube. How tf did I measure this frame so wrong the first time?

So, took the measuring tape to my Giant, which has a 53cm sticker on it but I was always under the impression it is a 54cm frame.
Result: 50cm seat tube and 52cm top tube c-c.
It measures 53cm to the seat clamp.

That's not the part that blew my mind though.
I swapped the clipless pedals from my Giant to the Peugeot, got on it and this is the bit that blew my mind: I've NEVER sat on a bike in a more comfortable position, in the drops, in my life!!! I rode better saddles though, this saddle is horrific to ride.
I've never thought of my Giant, or any other bikes I've owned in the past in the same size, as too small for my size and was never a problem, but sometimes felt a bit crammed on it, mainly while sprinting hard, it felt like it would tip over if I lean too much into it.
I'm 5'10", maybe 5'11" on a good day, 83cm inseam, maybe 84cm if I loose the few lbs added during lockdown.
Old 09-24-20, 08:03 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,594 Times in 3,781 Posts
Just a reminder, buying or selling offers are not allowed in the regular forums.

Old 09-25-20, 07:07 AM
Schlafen

Originally Posted by cb400bill
Just a reminder, buying or selling offers are not allowed in the regular forums.
I'm not aware of any offers made or received, chief.
Old 09-25-20, 08:31 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Originally Posted by Schlafen

That is because someone reported them and they were deleted.

Old 09-25-20, 08:33 AM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
I am of similar size about 5' 11" but with the legs of my 5' 8" brothers and a loooong torso. When I got back into biking in 2000, I spent a decade on a 54cm Cannondale before I realized it was too small I now ride a 57/58 cm in C&V and have never looked back, I tried a 56 last year and it just didn't feel right. And Steel is much more comfortable over the crumbling roads in my area than Aluminum
Old 09-25-20, 09:03 AM
Schlafen

Originally Posted by cb400bill
That is because someone reported them and they were deleted.
Ok, shouldn't I have at least received a notification that someone replied to my thread? Haven't had one.

Last edited by cb400bill; 09-25-20 at 09:50 AM. Reason: No selling offers in regular forums.
Old 09-25-20, 09:51 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Ok, shouldn't I have at least received a notification that someone replied to my thread? Haven't had one.
Only if they quoted you, which they did not.

Old 09-25-20, 11:50 AM
Theodor

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mb

Sorry guys it was my bad! I asked about it... because I couldn’t send a pm!

apologies!
Old 09-25-20, 12:10 PM
Schlafen

Originally Posted by Theodor
Sorry guys it was my bad! I asked about it... because I couldn’t send a pm!

apologies!
No worries bud, I'm a newbie too 😁 . Welcome !
Old 09-25-20, 03:33 PM
Theodor

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No worries bud, I'm a newbie too 😁 . Welcome !
Schlafen how can I get in contact with you? Unfortunately I can’t send pms yet!
Old 09-26-20, 03:02 AM
Schlafen

Originally Posted by Theodor
Schlafen how can I get in contact with you? Unfortunately I can’t send pms yet!
pm sent
Old 09-26-20, 07:14 AM
Schlafen

Originally Posted by ryansu
I am of similar size about 5' 11" but with the legs of my 5' 8" brothers and a loooong torso. When I got back into biking in 2000, I spent a decade on a 54cm Cannondale before I realized it was too small I now ride a 57/58 cm in C&V and have never looked back, I tried a 56 last year and it just didn't feel right. And Steel is much more comfortable over the crumbling roads in my area than Aluminum
I'm guessing you're riding the drops mainly? I could ride in the drops on my Giant as well, and previous similar sized bIkes I've owned, just not this comfortable. The rise of the quill stem may be a big factor as I usually ride slammed.
Well, time for a change.
Old 09-26-20, 02:58 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
I'm guessing you're riding the drops mainly? I could ride in the drops on my Giant as well, and previous similar sized bIkes I've owned, just not this comfortable. The rise of the quill stem may be a big factor as I usually ride slammed.
Well, time for a change.
I actually ride mainly on the tops and hoods but I do find with a bigger frame that riding in the drops is more comfortable when I do it.
Old 09-28-20, 01:28 PM
Schlafen

Trying to upload some pics here but it will not go past 90% on the first one, done it a few times now, same result. What's going on?
Old 09-28-20, 01:47 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
Picture file size too large is my guess, so it's timing out(?).
Old 09-29-20, 07:58 AM
Schlafen

Originally Posted by dddd
Picture file size too large is my guess, so it's timing out(?).
Can't be asked to mess with picture size and all that. No pictures it is then.
Old 10-02-20, 01:16 PM
Schlafen

So, this is where I'm at with this bike.

I received the Benotto bar tape ordered but it's not translucent like the old tape. It's some sort of solid pvc textured tape.
I've decided to reuse the old tape, cleaned it and retaped the bars the best I could with the amount of tape available.

I ran the internal brake and gear cables, just dangling there for now. Should finish it this weekend.

Haven't touched the hubs yet as I don't think it's worth it for me to take the wheels apart, so they are still in the state pictured previously.
This bike could do with a deep clean now and I need to remove the tape residue left on the chainstays as well

Also this is the pump that came with the bike, not very knowledgeable about pumps but is this a generic pump or is there a chance to be the original one supplied with the bike?
Old 10-04-20, 09:58 AM
Schlafen

So today I sorted the cables, adjusted derailleurs, shortened chain etc. All the bits and bobs.

The bike is ready for a deep clean and some t-cut.

I have to say that adjusting friction shifting derailleurs is a walk in the park compared to indexed ones. Take the slack out of cables, adjust limits and done. 👍
All in all about 5 minutes, out of which 3 minutes spent looking for 8mm and 10mm wrench.

The frewheet block thing it's loud af on the stand. It has plenty of grease, enough preload from the lockring it's just...loud, not the usual paw ticking noise, it's like road noise, I reckon it's coming from the axles but I'll have to take it apart again to double check.

Other than that I will call it done, happy days. 🍺
Old 10-04-20, 10:44 AM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts

So today I sorted the cables, adjusted derailleurs, shortened chain etc. All the bits and bobs.

The bike is ready for a deep clean and some t-cut.

I have to say that adjusting friction shifting derailleurs is a walk in the park compared to indexed ones. Take the slack out of cables, adjust limits and done. 👍
All in all about 5 minutes, out of which 3 minutes spent looking for 8mm and 10mm wrench.

The frewheet block thing it's loud af on the stand. It has plenty of grease, enough preload from the lockring it's just...loud, not the usual paw ticking noise, it's like road noise, I reckon it's coming from the axles but I'll have to take it apart again to double check.

Other than that I will call it done, happy days. 🍺
I suspect that the loudness of the freewheel can be partly attributed to the smaller diameter than usual ball bearings used in it. A lot of French freewheels and hubs from that time also just did not have the best quality bearing races, unless they are top of the line models. I still remember being frustrated in the 80's of being unable to eliminate the rumble and noise coming from the Maillard rear huband freewheels on my mid level model Peugeots with Helicomatic rear hubs.
the only "quiet", non-sealed bearing, 80's French hubs and freewheels and I ever owned are the ones from Maillard's 700 series, which was their top of the line model built with much better tolerances and quality than their mid model hubs and freewheels.
IIRC, Maillard did issue a 700 series version of the Helicomatic hubs. Maybe you can check those out and see if they are better than the ones that came with your Peugeot Centennial bike.

BTW, that French Zefal made pump has the Motobecane "M" logo on it.........Maybe it needs a nice Peugeot Centennial decal (seen them sold at Ebay) over the "M" to look "right" on the bike?

Last edited by Chombi1; 10-04-20 at 11:05 AM.
Old 10-04-20, 11:04 AM
Schlafen

Originally Posted by Chombi1
I suspect that the loudness of the freewheel can be partly attributed to the smaller diameter than usual ball bearings used in it. A lot of French freewheels and hubs from that time also just did not have the best quality bearing races, unless they are top of the line models. I still remember being frustrated in the 80's of being unable to adjust my hubs and freewheels to eliminate the rumble and noise coming from the Maillard rear huband freewheels on my mid level model Peugeots with Helicomatic rear hubs.
Ok, so it's just normal then.

I have never noticed it on older bikes as when I buy an older bike is mostly for the frame and fork, and usually discard wheels and drivetrain in favor of modern components.
Thanks for jumping in sir, saved me some hassle.
Old 10-06-20, 02:53 PM
Schlafen

Chombi1 I can see your reply in my email inbox but can't see it in here. Unless you deleted it or edited your previous reply. I'm not really looking to accessorize this bike, as it will go up for sale as soon as I find some free time to clean it.

I've been looking for a specific frame for a long time and managed to find it in my size. I'll start a new thread for it soon.
Old 10-21-20, 01:08 AM
Schlafen

So I finally managed to wash the bike yay.

The weather in UK has been pretty bad so couldn't take the bike out for some nice pictures but, it is officially done.

Turned out great. I'll try to take some pictures indoors but probably won't do it justice.

I will start a thread as soon as I can take some pictures, for the frame I just got.
Old 10-21-20, 12:37 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
Good job.

This bike is a GREAT example IMO of just how well that Peugeot addressed the needs and desires of buyers looking for a budget racer.

I would be kind of thrilled to find a bike just like this one for sale locally.
Old 10-23-20, 02:01 PM
Schlafen

Originally Posted by dddd
Good job.

This bike is a GREAT example IMO of just how well that Peugeot addressed the needs and desires of buyers looking for a budget racer.

I would be kind of thrilled to find a bike just like this one for sale locally.
thank you sir. hope to post some pictures of it done very soon, just waitin' on sunshine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.