Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Saddle Height

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Saddle Height

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-20, 08:59 AM
mrblue

Bikes: Canyon, Bowman & Colnago

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts
Saddle Height

I realize there are lots of ways to determine the correct saddle for each individual. I was just wondering what methods you find to be the most useful and accurate and which ones you find to be the most inaccurate (at least for you). Or if you have any tricks and/or tips that aren't quite so obvious or well known, please feel free to share them.

Personally, I've found the LeMonde and the 109 methods tend to give me a height that's roughly 10 to 15 mm's too high. The heel method gives me a saddle height that's a bit too short. I find the Holmes method seems (so far) to work the best for me.

Thanks.

Last edited by mrblue; 08-12-20 at 09:04 AM.
Old 08-12-20, 09:12 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
I had a "fit kit" done a while ago, and it's not as simple as we'd like. Barring that, find a height that allows a little knee bend on the down stroke, and allows for a comfortable riding position. Nobody knows better than you.
Old 08-12-20, 12:07 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
I've never had any method give me the perfect position. I always think of them as just a place to start and then see what's needed after some actual rides. However heel to pedal at furthest position when seated and a little bend in the knee comes close.

Otherwise for the last three bikes, I've just measured what the previous bike was from the pedal to where I sit on the saddle.
Old 08-12-20, 12:50 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10421 Post(s)
Liked 11,882 Times in 6,088 Posts
23 years ago, I had a pro fitting, where he raised my saddle about an inch and moved it forward an inch. After riding a week, I dropped it about half an inch because I felt like I was reaching at the bottom of each pedal stroke. I've used the same height and setback since then, copying it onto 3 new bikes. It turns out to be just about 0.5 cm higher than "inseam x 0.883", but I think I point my toes when pedaling, which may explain it.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-12-20, 01:29 PM
Dean V

Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Measuring your extended leg angle at the knee while peddling is the only way to get a fairly accurate measurement.
No other methods will allow for how flat footed or toe down you pedal which can have a significant impact on the measurement.
Old 08-12-20, 01:56 PM
ccinnz

Bikes: Guru Praemio, Colnago CLX, 80's Avanti Giro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
The method I commonly use is when the pedal is in the bottom position you should be able to extend your leg straight with your heel down. Then when riding with flatter pedals you will have a slight bend at the knee when your leg is extended.
Old 08-12-20, 02:41 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,183 Times in 2,225 Posts
Originally Posted by ccinnz
The method I commonly use is when the pedal is in the bottom position you should be able to extend your leg straight with your heel down. Then when riding with flatter pedals you will have a slight bend at the knee when your leg is extended.

This is how I did it.
Old 08-12-20, 02:41 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Any "sure-fire method" is just a starting point. You'll almost certainly start tweaking once you've put in some miles and you know what works for you specifically.
Likes For Litespud: