Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Specialized 10R/12R question

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-20, 05:39 AM
Mr_Crankypants

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I ride a 2018 Giant TCR Advanced 2 (rim brake). I am looking to get disc brakes and more generally upgrade to a bike I'll be happy with for more than two years this time around. I was eagerly anticipating launch of the 2021 TCR, only to be pretty disappointed by the half-baked "aero" features. So I have reluctantly decided to look to other brands for my next purchase.

The Tarmac SL7 is a top contender. However, I'm pretty new to the Specialized lineup, and it's nearly impossible to get test rides on anything right now, let alone do a side-by-side comparison of an S-Works and non-S-Works model. I did ride an S-Works SL6 once and it was probably the best bike I've ever ridden. I've never ridden a model with lower-level carbon, though.

Coming from Giant, I'm still reeling from sticker shock at Specialized's prices. The "entry-level" Expert, at $5000, is probably the only attainable build for me. Another option would be to get the S-Works frameset and build it up as I can afford to, maybe buying used parts where I can.

Anyone who has ridden both 10R and S-Works level frames, do you notice much difference? Specialized claims the key difference is the weight - but that's a mere 120 grams (claimed). I find it hard to believe that people would spend thousands of dollars to shed 120 grams, so there must be more to it - is it more responsive? More compliant?
Old 08-19-20, 06:18 AM
ZiggyC63

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I recently purchased a Tarmac SL7 Pro with the SRAM 1x. I rode an SWorks that the dealer had and couldn’t feel a difference, however my ride was very short and didn’t leave the parking lot. 12r carbon is stiffer but I wouldn’t pay the huge mark up for an SWorks.
Old 08-19-20, 07:45 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
10r is plenty stiff. It really just gets lighter from there on. My wife has had 8r, 10r, and 11r. She hated the 8r. (I rode it a few times and hated it too.) But she was very happy with 10r and 11r, and she went back and forth between which she liked better. The 10r was a Tarmac, 11r was an Amira, so they had different geometries.

She's now riding a 2020 Giant TCR Advanced Pro Disc and really likes it.
Old 08-19-20, 06:51 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
You will notice more difference in "feel" by letting 5 psi out of your tires than you ever will by changing the type of carbon used in otherwise identical frames.

It's pure marketing b.s./brillance depending on which side of the sale you're on.
Old 08-19-20, 07:53 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
It would be like going from your Giant Advanced to an Advanced SL.
A large price jump. Minimal weight saving, and hard to pick the difference riding them.
How about a Trek Emonda?
Old 08-21-20, 10:17 AM
Mr_Crankypants

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, sounds like the consensus is that the ride quality differences aren't anything we mere mortals would notice.

I will, however, notice the extra several grand remaining in my bank account. If it starts burning a hole in my pocket, maybe I'll splurge on a nice upgrade wheelset for the Expert model.
Old 08-27-20, 05:28 AM
Mr_Crankypants

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Purely hypothetically, as both of these options are out of my price range...which of these two would you rather have (ignoring price for the moment)?

1. The S-Works (12R) SL7 frame with Ultegra
or
2. The 10R SL7 frame with Dura Ace

Most advice around here says to go with the better frame over the better components. But in this case, since Specialized *claim* that the difference between frames is mainly weight, and that is merely 120 grams (again, claimed), the difference in the groupset weights would exceed the difference in frameset weights. So I'm honestly just curious - which of these two setups would theoretically be the "better" bike?
Old 08-27-20, 07:00 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
I'd take the SL7 with Ultegra and use the savings to upgrade the cockpit, get a good powermeter, and/or take a short vacation to some place in the mountains for some good rides.
Old 08-27-20, 08:12 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
Yeah, 10R with Ultegra would be my vote.
Old 08-27-20, 08:58 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I'd hold out for 12 speed. If you're going to buy mechanical, then building a bike with Chorus 12 would be my pick. It's been available for over a year now. The disc group does cost about $1500, compared to only $1060 for rim brake.

I'm sticking with rim brake for the quite a few more years. Even riding in the mountains, I have no need for disc. I don't ride in the wet and weigh 135. Discs won't do a thing for me. No tubeless either. I can handle one flat per 4000 miles.

The tarmac sl7 expert comes in some horrible colors. Nothing that I'd buy.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ta...ext=94920-3044

I just checked out the Giant website and the TCR advanced pro looks to be a decent deal, but the colors are still not great. The frame runs $1900, which seems to be about as low as you'll find these days. It could be built up with with Force AXS 12 speed for about 5400, if you don't go crazy on the wheels. With Ultegra Di2, it would be at least $1000 less. Mechanical Chorus 12 would be priced similar to Ultegra Di2.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 08-27-20 at 01:10 PM.