Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

help??!! i munged my stem

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-26-20, 12:03 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts

i have a one inch threadless salsa stem about like this one....(sorry...couldn't figure out how to load it as an attachment just yet)

https://cdn10.bigcommerce.com/s-1rmg...0.1280.JPG?c=2

that is, the bar clamp is the same on the quill in the link as is on my threadless. what i did....i had it installed on a quill to threadless adapter and the adapter was stuck in the fork steerer on the bike. so, i thought i'd hammer it off with a rubber mallet from underneath the stem. dumb idea, i know now. i bent the bottom section of the bar clamp inward so now the holes don't line up and, of course, can't install handlebars. sorry...can't take a photo, so i'm trying to use the above image to illustrate the part

i've tried a few things like prying with a flat head and even a chisel, but it doesn't work well since using the top section of the clamp as leverage/fulcrum ( or whatever) seems to only bend the top section upward further away from the bottom section. hope that makes sense.

so, being that i'm failing at this, i thought perhaps someone might have a really great suggestion for straightening it out without breaking anything. i realize it's steel, so there's forgiveness

thanks in advance!!
matthew
Old 09-26-20, 12:13 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Bolt that the unthreaded section fits tightly in the bottom hole. Cut the thread off, use the bolt to lever the clamp down?
Old 09-26-20, 02:21 AM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
Could maybe hold the bottom part in a vice and press downwards on the bit you want to pry outwards without pushing on the upper part. Or just let the upper part bend out so you can reach the lower one and then bend the top back afterwards.

After the procedure I would step back and evaluate the damage and consider the cost of a new stem compared to that of new front teeth. Steel will easily break too if you bend it backwards and forwards a long way.
Old 09-26-20, 05:06 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Bars and stems are things I won't take a chance on trying to reuse after damage of any sort. The penalty in the event of a failure can very, very high.
Old 09-26-20, 07:04 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Originally Posted by Trevtassie
Bolt that the unthreaded section fits tightly in the bottom hole. Cut the thread off, use the bolt to lever the clamp down?
not sure i understand what you're trying to suggest would you mind trying once more?

just fyi, guys.....it's just bent out of alignment.... not that big of a deal. nothing worse than cold setting a frame or straightening dropouts or a fork
Old 09-26-20, 07:17 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by Trevtassie
okay....i was letting that cogitate for a minute. still not quite sure what you mean, but it did give me an idea. i could thread a bolt up from underneath the bottom section up to the hole of the top section. then, two ways to try from there. one is to use a nail punch through the hole of the top section and tap on the face of end of the bolt downward. or, somehow secure the top section and using the same bolt, simply trying screwing the bolt inward against the top section thereby driving the bottom section down. in either case, i'm gonna need a vice set up......maybe....hmmmmm

and, guy153....i just figured out what you were suggesting. i may have to borrow a vice to do that or what i tried to illustrate in the previous paragraph. but, i've got an idea developing as i type. may not work.

anyhow, off to my job, so i'll have to try things maybe tomorrow

thanks a bunch!!
Old 09-26-20, 08:54 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

good grief...my thinking has just not been clear, lately. i have a shop press. i haven't had it long and just haven't used it much keeping it covered it up in an outbuilding. out of sight out of mind sort of thing. anyway, jig up the stem somehow and use some gentle pressure to realign the clamp. man....sometimes...<<sigh>>

thank you for everyone's time and input just the same!
matthew
Old 09-27-20, 12:09 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

welp, couldn't set the stem up well enough to keep it affixed when pressing. so, i put the stem on the cromo quill adapter on the bike and went at the clamp with a hammer and punch. took a bit and figured if i broke it, oh well. i fixed it though. yay!