Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Frames and Framebuilding (1981) ALAN

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-26-20, 06:20 AM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 994 Posts

WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Likes For SpeedofLite:
Old 09-26-20, 07:30 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 2,177 Times in 1,182 Posts
Thanks, the construction techniques used to build these is why you seldom see ALAN's come apart (glued and screwed) the head lugs can sometimes be found with hairline cracks...maybe due to overzealous tightening of the headset?
Any, another great read.
Best, Ben
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 09-26-20, 11:03 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 781 Posts
Great to read the old articles, thanks for this scan and post. But I believe there's one inaccuracy ( may be this article is what put it into circulation) but the name ALAN is not derived from "Aluminum Anodized" but rather from a constriction/abbreviation of the first names of the founder's (Falconi) son and daughter. At least that's the story as they tell us nowadays.
Likes For unworthy1:
Old 09-26-20, 01:54 PM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 166 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
Great to read the old articles, thanks for this scan and post. But I believe there's one inaccuracy ( may be this article is what put it into circulation) but the name ALAN is not derived from "Aluminum Anodized" but rather from a constriction/abbreviation of the first names of the founder's (Falconi) son and daughter. At least that's the story as they tell us nowadays.
Agreed. Alberto, the son, answers emails.
Old 09-26-20, 02:18 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Alans are neat. They were in production until the mid-2000s, as the ALU-303 model, although not imported into the US. I think the Vitus 979 is prettier, but I like 'em both. At my size and weight, I'd actually maybe be better on an Alan... they had a reputation of being the tougher frame, although that's possibly mythology. (I wonder if that idea got started because Alan made cyclocross frames and Vitus didn't?)

--Shannon
Old 09-26-20, 09:54 PM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 278 Posts
I had one of those in the early 80's. It was a totally cool looking bike but pretty flexy and fine for just out riding but not so great really hammering. I moved on.