Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

New wheelbuild: 20h versus 28 hole for the front wheel

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-10, 05:16 PM
Batavus

Bikes: Wabi Lightning, fixed 13.6 pounds. Cera steel road bike Campy veloce 9s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi all,

New build on the way. Track wheelset using kinlin XR-300 rims, Novatech track rear and novatech superlight front road hub.

I can order the rim and front hub in the 20 hole variety as well as in 28 hole.

My aim is to make a more aero wheelset than I currently have (XR-200). I will be using CN's version of the CX-ray bladed spoke which is considerably cheaper.

My wish is to make it as cheap and aero as possible. 20 versus 28 would be more aerodynamic as well as cheaper. Also it would be lighter, but that is of secondary concern. (estimated weight 1500-1600 gms, still lightweight for the money)

My concern is that the front wheel would not be strong enough with 20 spokes. I weigh 80 kgms and I don't particularly baby my wheels, nor do I abuse them.

Also, how much of a difference would using bladed spokes in the rear wheel make? I am thinking round spokes for the rear, again because of cost savings. Will the difference be noticeable with 32 spokes? (Can only order rear hub in 32)

What do you think?
Old 07-12-10, 05:28 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
You weigh 170lbs and you're choosing some of the cheapest components to build a wheelset out of. This does not make sense. Light, aero and cheap don't mix. That being said if your current XR-200 rims are holding I don't see why the 300's won't. They are stronger because of the increased depth.

Spoke wise, you aren't really going to find 'bladed' spokes anywhere. Nothing substantially bladed anyways. Anything that is will require slotted hubs. Which you do not have. What lacing pattern are you planning on doing front and rear?
Old 07-12-10, 09:38 PM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
Those Novatech (Dimension, GodSpeed, Raleigh) track hubs - if they are the ones I think they are - are quite frankly cheap and getting cheaper.

Just in the last month - I've run into one where the polish/silver anodization was peeling off...no kidding...peeling off.

Also ran into one where the cartridge bearing seats were machined off center resulting in wobble on one side.

Bad enough already that they come with cheap bearings and snap-happy axles and strip-happy cog threads.

Answer Operator's questions...he's trying to steer you in a better direction...would be worthwhile.

=8-)

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Old 07-12-10, 11:28 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Track? you building to race Match Sprints or Pursuit ?

American Classic makes radial spoke compatible hubs, I believe you can order them slotted for bladed spokes, then get something like a Sun or Velocity deep section rim . the wing shape of the leading edge of the tire rim combination will be the Aero thing you seek.

I have a 20 spoke wheel on a stamped steel hub, radially spoked.. , its on my Brompton with 16" wheels .. smaller wheels have aerodynamic advantage , but thats not why they are there..

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-12-10 at 11:33 PM.
Old 07-13-10, 03:06 AM
Batavus

Bikes: Wabi Lightning, fixed 13.6 pounds. Cera steel road bike Campy veloce 9s

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ok, I wasn't aware that the Novatech track hubs were of poor quality. I thought they were on a par with Formula hubs.

Here's a picture of the rear I'm planning to use:

And the front hub:

The front hub I already have on my current wheelset and performs just fine and has a good finish.

Also, I do not consider XR-300 rims a cheap component, they are certainly of equal or better quality than say a Mavic CXP 33 (which is more expensive)

I should have said fixed gear wheelset instead of track, they will only be ridden on the road. Also, the XR-200 wheelset I have is a 32/28 combo, so doesn't directly compare I suppose.

The wheels will be laced 2 cross front and rear, possibly 3 cross on the rear depending on spoke length availability.

Last edited by Batavus; 07-13-10 at 03:14 AM.
Old 07-13-10, 03:57 AM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Track? you building to race Match Sprints or Pursuit ?

American Classic makes radial spoke compatible hubs, I believe you can order them slotted for bladed spokes, then get something like a Sun or Velocity deep section rim . the wing shape of the leading edge of the tire rim combination will be the Aero thing you seek.

I have a 20 spoke wheel on a stamped steel hub, radially spoked.. , its on my Brompton with 16" wheels .. smaller wheels have aerodynamic advantage , but thats not why they are there..
smaller wheels don't need as many spokes.

Those novatec hubs are decent quality for the price.
I use that same 20h front hub A291SB front with a XR-270 rim no problem, but I do only weigh 60kg.

at your weight, I would stick to 24h front and 28h rear for XR-300 rims, if possible.
Old 07-13-10, 03:40 PM
Soil_Sampler
A little North of Hell

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
20/28

Originally Posted by Batavus
Ok, I wasn't aware that the Novatech track hubs were of poor quality.
I thought they were on a par with Formula hubs.

Also, I do not consider XR-300 rims a cheap component, they are certainly of equal or better quality than say a Mavic CXP 33 (which is more expensive)

The wheels will be laced 2 cross front and rear, possibly 3 cross on the rear depending on spoke length availability.
similar quality

I would say the cxp 33 is a better rim. imo

2X, I would go 28H.