Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

What's your weekly training like?

Old 08-09-11, 07:56 PM
jcharles00

Bikes: Colnago Dream CX, Gary Fisher XCal, Diamondback Haanjo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's your weekly training like?

I posted over in the training forum about when I should lift in regards to when I'm riding, and in retrospect, I probably should have just asked over here.. I'm just coming out of base and starting my first track season, so I'm just kind of guessing what I should be doing.

So what's a week in your build period like?
Old 08-10-11, 11:36 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1336 Post(s)
Liked 2,469 Times in 1,445 Posts
I would start with this https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...n-Introduction.

Most of us have been racing at the track all season but there is some racing left. If you have not been to the track before, you have some work to do. Most tracks have a protocol of sessions one must take before being allowed to race so I suggest you check that out first. I assume you are a roadie starting at the track. So besides finding your track legs, you have to learn to ride at the track.

Coming out of base in August is interesting since most racers are done with base several months earlier unless this is some type of summer camp designed to put some endurance in your legs to get ready for late summer racing.

IMO, the best approach is to describe what your track goals are and are you an endurance trackie or sprinter. What types of races do you want to enter? That determines what training is applicable. My weekly training or others may not be applicable.

The best advice I have is to go to the track and get certified / qualified and talk with the locals and see what they are doing and what races are approaching. Some of my training is with my racing buddies as we get ready for races. Good luck.

Last edited by Hermes; 08-10-11 at 12:10 PM.
Old 08-10-11, 02:28 PM
joshpants

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would do as many races as you can to get familiar with them all unless you absolutely know what your strengths are.
Old 08-10-11, 03:08 PM
jcharles00

Bikes: Colnago Dream CX, Gary Fisher XCal, Diamondback Haanjo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
Yes, good document, I read it a while back.

Most of us have been racing at the track all season but there is some racing left. If you have not been to the track before, you have some work to do. Most tracks have a protocol of sessions one must take before being allowed to race so I suggest you check that out first. I assume you are a roadie starting at the track. So besides finding your track legs, you have to learn to ride at the track.
indeed, it is late in the season, but the collegiate track season starts Aug 27th for my conference. This will be my team's first year participating in track. (and our conference's second) I didn't find out about this until late in the game. I realize that I am unconditioned and will be slow, but I would like to participate so I will have some experience going into next season, and also, nationals are at our home track, so it will be "cool" to participate.

That said, I've done the training courses and participated in a race and a time trial.

Coming out of base in August is interesting since most racers are done with base several months earlier unless this is some type of summer camp designed to put some endurance in your legs to get ready for late summer racing.
yes, it's rather sucky. I had an exceptionally high course load with school in the past year and wasn't on the bike much. I started my base at the end of may when the semester ended. crappy, but could not be helped in this case. My next semester (and the one after that) should be relatively easy, so I've been working on a more serious training plan.

IMO, the best approach is to describe what your track goals are and are you an endurance trackie or sprinter. What types of races do you want to enter? That determines what training is applicable. My weekly training or others may not be applicable.
From reading posts here thus far, the general consensus is that I shouldn't pick a specialty this early in the game. That said, in my current condition, scratch and points races and the 1k are my best bet, and I'd like to lead off a team sprint if I can get a team together. My endurance on the track is lacking, assumably because I'm not used to pushing such big gears for so long. (i've been riding 90", but going to knock it down to 86") My main goal is to develop the strength to stay on in the longer mass start races, and still have some matches to burn.

Thus far in my build period I'm doing a weight day consisting of the following (mostly lifted from this forum and then modified for me):

10 minute warmup on stationary bike
Squats 4x15 bar
single leg presses 4x15 empty tray
single leg squats 3x10 40 lbs
leg curls 4x15 70lbs
bent knee calf raises 4x15 100lbs
Good mornings 3x5 bar
incline press 4x15 50lbs
high row 4x15 50lbs
ab work (ab ripper)

It's been taking me two days (with active recovery/easy rides) to recover from the weight day. I'm also doing two interval days, either at the track (1 lap on 2 laps off) or on the road (1 minute on 2 minutes off). Everything else is easy rides. I'm starting this week to have a rest day.

I certainly realize that everyone is different, and I'm not going to jump in and try to do the same routine someone else is doing.. I would just like to see what, in general, track racers do. I'm mostly interested in the way a week is planned out. taking so long to recover from weights is freaking me out a little. I can't afford a coach, the only team mate I had with track experience graduated (and didn't really have the best advice) and the other riders who have expressed interest in track racing are all still doing road races and crits with no specific track work... so, this forum is kind of my only help.
Old 08-11-11, 10:01 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Just in general:

- Sprint practice and intervals (as you are doing)
- Endurance rides (50+ miles)
- Some people change gearing – one day working a low gear with high RPM, another day using a high gear to get used to pushing hard
- High speed motor pace training
- Specific skills and event training (standing start TT, Madison, etc.)

If you started training late May/early June, you should be in good shape by now.

Lots of time on the track. You might consider something like this 6 day event. You can learn a lot in 6 days of racing.
· Detroit 6 Day August 22nd - 27th (Nightly) Monday thru Saturday - 7:30 p.m. https://www.velodromeatbloomerpark.com/
Old 08-15-11, 08:55 PM
kevvwill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In specific (though now I'm working on my off-season pooch ):

Sunday: 12-second efforts, 3x6, either on Velotron or at the track. All-out, race gearing, 5 minutes rest in between efforts. Progressive gearing. If ourdoors, might be 47x13, then 48, then 49. If on Velotron, maybe 1100, 1300, 1500 watt clampdown. If indoors, 70% squats, plyos, 2 minutes core work in between sprint sets.

Monday: rest

Tuesday: weights in a.m. (heavy, heavy, heavy), track in p.m.: 25-second efforts, 6-8, slow rollup, hard into the gear, race gears or bigger. Again, progressive gearing. If inside, weights/plyos/core in between, 2-3 standing starts

Wednesday: 2.5-hour ride w/two 5-minute intervals @110% of LT

Thursday: (repeat Sunday, or race)

Friday: weights in a.m., rest remainder of day

Saturday: (repeat Tuesday)

I don't believe in easy rides. No such thing, usually. I can do more with a nap than with any easy ride, but that's me and my legs. Yours may vary. For lifting, I used to do the acclimation/medium mass/high mass/low mass-power reps cycle. Now I just lift heavy whenever I lift. My body likes that better.

Hope that gives you a look at one particular program. Oh, crap, I forgot (in case you didn't realize it from the program) I'm a sprinter.

Last edited by kevvwill; 08-15-11 at 08:56 PM. Reason: New information