Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Automated Gearshift System

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-16, 03:08 PM
RenatoLacerda

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

First I'm new to the forum and would like your help to get some opinions.

I'm doing a project in my Industrial Automation course at my Institute of Technology regarding a monitoring and automated gearshift system for cycling. And for programming and setting some parameters take into account the rider's speed, the force applied to the pedal, cadence, power and the relationship of speed to the best use of the rider pedaling.

To set these parameters, I would like your help to get a feedback from those who really understands and practices this sport that is growing a lot.

Please, if you can fill a small sheet for me to collect some data would be really great and help me adapt the idea from real data and mainly suggestions, tips, advice and opinions.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Once again I appreciate the space and attention.
Thank you very much,

Kind Regards,
Renato
Old 03-02-16, 03:31 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,356 Times in 863 Posts
Automated Gear shifting a Bicycle drivetrain.. Many have tried, few, if any succeed ..

Automatic trannys in cars work because the Fossil Fuels exploded in internal combustion engines have more Power.
Old 03-02-16, 04:16 PM
RenatoLacerda

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's not a simple work, but I'm very excited to be well suceeded @fietsbob The combination of precision and a good mechanical hardware can be great, sure I'm just a Student at the moment but the researches and the developments are going well.

I've also created an online survey to fill, it can easier I think Form to collect data/tips/suggestions/opinions
Old 03-02-16, 05:22 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Automated Gear shifting a Bicycle drivetrain.. Many have tried, few, if any succeed .. .
^So true.

For a bike auto transmission to be successful imo, it would have to be: affordably priced, lightweight, durable, reasonably acceptable aesthetically, and work well and be reliable. Nobody has even come close to that from what I've seen over the decades.
Old 03-02-16, 05:51 PM
RenatoLacerda

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tottaly agree with you @exmechanic89, that are the points that I'm focused mainly the quality and reliability as an engineering student. It's really important to receive different opinions to 'think outside the box' and see what's people think about the idea. Thanks a lot
Old 03-02-16, 06:14 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Automatically shifting bikes have been around for a while. There is already a system just like yours.

Called "BioShift"

Baron Biosystems ? Push your limits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCNR...CyclingNetwork

There were also completely mechanical systems that shifted based on cadence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWOd...el=Mylandrider

Choose your poison. I like to be able to control my shifting for various reasons.
Old 03-02-16, 07:08 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
I am not filling out any questionnaires. They are worthless anyway since you have no way of knowing if internet strangers are telling you the truth.

Shimano and several bike companies tried and failed a few years ago with the Coasting program. The system worked, but the bikes didn't sell.
Old 03-02-16, 07:11 PM
GeoKrpan
George Krpan

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's an ambitious project and if you succeed you will really have accomplished something.

It would be very useful for electric bikes too.

My suggestion is to base it on an existing electronic shifting system such as Shimano Dura Ace Di2. Use sensors for torque, cadence, speed, incline or decline, etc.. A computer algorithm determines the shift. I wouldn't be surprised if Shimano itself is working on such a thing.
Old 03-02-16, 07:28 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 456 Posts
<Groan> not this again. I guess it's been a year or two since the last one, so we're due. Why do all non-cyclists seem to think that shifting is such a chore?
Old 03-02-16, 07:28 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I'm guessing that the easiest system to automate would be a Nuvinci. The controller can just decide where it wants to go, and go there when it can.

Perhaps one necessity would be to offer multiple programs for different riding preferences.

There's a perception with cars, that manual transmission is more "skillful" or "sporty," and I would expect a similar marketing issue in the bike world.
Old 03-02-16, 07:58 PM
J.C. Koto
apocryphal sobriquet

Bikes: 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker "The Truckerino"

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
<Groan> not this again. I guess it's been a year or two since the last one, so we're due. Why do all non-cyclists seem to think that shifting is such a chore?
Heh heh, it's the good old Landrider all over again. Maybe a useful project as far as an engineering challenge for school goes but even the very concept is of dubious utility for an actual, real-world bicycle, IMO.
Old 03-02-16, 08:08 PM
RenatoLacerda

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33
Automatically shifting bikes have been around for a while. There is already a system just like yours.

Called "BioShift"

Baron Biosystems ? Push your limits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCNR...CyclingNetwork

There were also completely mechanical systems that shifted based on cadence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWOd...el=Mylandrider

Choose your poison. I like to be able to control my shifting for various reasons.
Thank you very much @corrado33 for the links, it showed two different ideas, but both can work. For sure the Bioshift it's already a great system for also shifting and monitoring.
Old 03-02-16, 08:13 PM
RenatoLacerda

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
I am not filling out any questionnaires. They are worthless anyway since you have no way of knowing if internet strangers are telling you the truth.

Shimano and several bike companies tried and failed a few years ago with the Coasting program. The system worked, but the bikes didn't sell.
I understand @MRT2, for sure a system need to ensure the quality but also be competitive with a good price, keeps the ratio between utility and price. If don't for sure it won't sell.
Old 03-02-16, 08:14 PM
exmechanic89

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Yeah it is funny that it always seems like non-riders that think the holy grail of all cyclists would be an auto gear changer. I think the market is there though. Lots of casual riders - actually even some more-than-casual riders - complain about how incredibly difficult it is to shift gears..
Old 03-02-16, 08:20 PM
RenatoLacerda

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GeoKrpan
It's an ambitious project and if you succeed you will really have accomplished something.

It would be very useful for electric bikes too.

My suggestion is to base it on an existing electronic shifting system such as Shimano Dura Ace Di2. Use sensors for torque, cadence, speed, incline or decline, etc.. A computer algorithm determines the shift. I wouldn't be surprised if Shimano itself is working on such a thing.
Thank you very much for the suggestions @GeoKrpan, I've already taken a look at Shimano Dura Ace Di2, it' good as it is an electronic shifting system but in my opinion its very expensive, I think to implement the system based in the general gears, to become an accessible project. That's the idea, based at the sensors data creating an algorithm to ensure the shifting and precision as well. Starting with a prototype the results are being great. Thank you once more
Old 03-02-16, 08:27 PM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I'm not personally a fan of automatic shifting -- heck, even my cars have manual transmissions -- but I can imagine there's a market segment that might appreciate an automatic shifting system if it worked well and was priced right. My younger daughter, for example, who's not athletically inclined and has mild coordination issues. If she could have something that would shift for her, it might help her get up hills and keep up with dad and her sister, making riding a little less frustrating.
Old 03-02-16, 08:34 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by RenatoLacerda
I understand @MRT2, for sure a system need to ensure the quality but also be competitive with a good price, keeps the ratio between utility and price. If don't for sure it won't sell.
The complete bikes sold for $400 to $700. Shimano partnered with Trek, Giiant and Raleigh. The bikes themselves were aimed at entry level riders.
Old 03-02-16, 08:37 PM
GeoKrpan
George Krpan

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RenatoLacerda
Thank you very much for the suggestions @GeoKrpan, I've already taken a look at Shimano Dura Ace Di2, it' good as it is an electronic shifting system but in my opinion its very expensive, I think to implement the system based in the general gears, to become an accessible project. That's the idea, based at the sensors data creating an algorithm to ensure the shifting and precision as well. Starting with a prototype the results are being great. Thank you once more
Dura Ace Di2 is expensive at present but it will trickle down to lower price points. I can't see why it's so expensive. It would seem to me that all those precision parts that go into a mechanical shifters would be more expensive to manufacture.

Do you have an alternative on which to base you prototype?
Old 03-02-16, 08:37 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1583 Post(s)
Liked 1,212 Times in 614 Posts
I think automatic shifting on a bicycle is an excellent idea -- totally consistent with a 21st century approach to physical activity. Although I have no ideas whatsoever on the subject, I would encourage the OP to continue his (presumably) research. Once such a system has been fully developed, the next logical step would be automated pedalling.

What I imagine is a "bicycle" in which steering is accomplished by/through GPS, shifting is fully automated, and power is supplied by some form of motor -- electric or otherwise. At that point, we shall have arrived at the perfect bicycle -- one that does not require any physical input whatsoever from an actual human being. All one needs to do is sit on the thing, program in coordinates for a destination, and hit 'go'.

Sounds like Paradise to me.
Old 03-02-16, 08:42 PM
RenatoLacerda

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
I'm guessing that the easiest system to automate would be a Nuvinci. The controller can just decide where it wants to go, and go there when it can.

Perhaps one necessity would be to offer multiple programs for different riding preferences.

There's a perception with cars, that manual transmission is more "skillful" or "sporty," and I would expect a similar marketing issue in the bike world.
It's a good idea as well @Gresp15C. That's already an idea to offer the initial parameter setup, for the cyclist change the matching combinations, ranges and also the 'mode' that can be created as you said. Thank you!
Old 03-02-16, 08:47 PM
RenatoLacerda

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by J.C. Koto
Heh heh, it's the good old Landrider all over again. Maybe a useful project as far as an engineering challenge for school goes but even the very concept is of dubious utility for an actual, real-world bicycle, IMO.
Thanks @J.C.Koto, it's always important to listen different opinions, don't you believe that it could simplify the gear shifting? At least show you which is the best combination for your performance?
Old 03-02-16, 08:57 PM
RenatoLacerda

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyDog75
I'm not personally a fan of automatic shifting -- heck, even my cars have manual transmissions -- but I can imagine there's a market segment that might appreciate an automatic shifting system if it worked well and was priced right. My younger daughter, for example, who's not athletically inclined and has mild coordination issues. If she could have something that would shift for her, it might help her get up hills and keep up with dad and her sister, making riding a little less frustrating.
That's true @SkyDog75, there is a lot of different ideas and opinions, and I'm here to listen all of them. In your case would be nice to use an automatic shifting for you daughter as you said, and that can be a new area for this as well. It's very good to hear that it can not only facilitate but help someone, I think it's great. Thank you for your opinion!
Old 03-02-16, 09:14 PM
RenatoLacerda

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GeoKrpan
Dura Ace Di2 is expensive at present but it will trickle down to lower price points. I can't see why it's so expensive. It would seem to me that all those precision parts that go into a mechanical shifters would be more expensive to manufacture.

Do you have an alternative on which to base you prototype?
@GeoKrpan yes, the precision of mechanical parts increases the price of the system. I have some alternatives that reduce the price to create a 'low cost' product. It's possible to increase the electronic reliabilty ensuring the precision at the same time with the mechanical hardware, I believe that it can be done and I'm dedicated to do that
Old 03-02-16, 09:17 PM
RenatoLacerda

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
I think automatic shifting on a bicycle is an excellent idea -- totally consistent with a 21st century approach to physical activity. Although I have no ideas whatsoever on the subject, I would encourage the OP to continue his (presumably) research. Once such a system has been fully developed, the next logical step would be automated pedalling.

What I imagine is a "bicycle" in which steering is accomplished by/through GPS, shifting is fully automated, and power is supplied by some form of motor -- electric or otherwise. At that point, we shall have arrived at the perfect bicycle -- one that does not require any physical input whatsoever from an actual human being. All one needs to do is sit on the thing, program in coordinates for a destination, and hit 'go'.

Sounds like Paradise to me.
Your opinion and suggestion is really appreciated @badger1, thanks for your reply, maybe the automated pedalling can appear later, but it can be possible nobody knows.
Old 03-02-16, 09:44 PM
exmechanic89

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
lolz..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.