Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Nooob Tubeless Question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Nooob Tubeless Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-24, 02:10 PM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 60 Posts
Nooob Tubeless Question

I'm going to give tubeless tires a try, but I'm not wild about the sticky tire sealant.

I bought a wheel on eBay for a great price and there is dried on sealant all over the rim. So far, it has resisted soap & water, acetone, WD-40 and a degreaser. Anyone know of a magic solvent to remove it? Other than the dried sealant, the wheel is in great shape, so I don't want to use an abrasive material and scratch the rim.

Last edited by PromptCritical; 04-29-24 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-29-24, 02:11 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1840 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 989 Posts
How about water?
Old 04-29-24, 02:33 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5886 Post(s)
Liked 2,728 Times in 1,522 Posts
Toluene is a common solvent for rubber based compounds. If that's what was in the solution, commercial paint thinner should help remove it. In any case, as you try stuff, be aware to NOT USE any caustics like lye, oven cleaner, etc, since these will attack aluminum rims.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 04-29-24, 02:34 PM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Toluene is a common solvent for rubber based compounds. If that's what was in the solution, commercial paint thinner should help remove it. In any case, as you try stuff, be aware to NOT USE any caustics like lye, oven cleaner, etc, since these will attack aluminum rims.
Thanks!
Old 04-29-24, 03:03 PM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 363 Posts
Toluene should work, but might not be readily available. I have found xylene at my local hardware store, and its solvent power is close to toluene (because it is close in chemical structure).
Old 04-29-24, 03:05 PM
PromptCritical 

Originally Posted by KerryIrons
Toluene should work, but might not be readily available. I have found xylene at my local hardware store, and its solvent power is close to toluene (because it is close in chemical structure).
Thanks. Yeah, I'm in California and it doesn't seem to be available here. I'll try to find that.
Old 04-29-24, 04:23 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7074 Post(s)
Liked 11,153 Times in 4,763 Posts
Tubeless tire sealant is generally water-soluble. Are you sure that's what you're dealing with?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-29-24, 04:27 PM
PromptCritical 

Originally Posted by Koyote
Tubeless tire sealant is generally water-soluble. Are you sure that's what you're dealing with?
Well, the wheel came from eBay, so I can't be sure. Good point though.
Old 04-29-24, 04:34 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5039 Post(s)
Liked 8,273 Times in 3,908 Posts
I've found that a moderately-stiff dry brush works pretty well, in most cases. I haven't yet found a situation where I've needed to resort to solvents. Maybe I've been lucky.
Old 04-29-24, 06:36 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 269 Posts
I saw on the web so it must be true to use a natural latex eraser for adhesive removal. I have not tried it yet. Demo showed it removing from a tire. May work on the rim bead.

Searched with. latex adhesive eraser
https://a.co/d/7aacQ7f
Old 04-29-24, 08:19 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by PromptCritical
I bought a wheel on eBay for a great price and there is dried on sealant all over the rim. So far, it has resisted soap & water, acetone, WD-40 and a degreaser. Anyone know of a magic solvent to remove it? Other than the dried sealant, the wheel is in great shape, so I don't want to use an abrasive material and scratch the rim.
Ammonia solution as used for domestic cleaning is supposed to be the magical elixir for this, I've never tried it myself.
Old 04-30-24, 03:26 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
That hasn't been my experience. Water works well enough before the sealant has set, but I've had a tough time getting dried sealant off the frame of my mountain bike. I know now to deal with it immediately if I've had a puncture - although, of course, one doesn't necessarily realise.
Old 04-30-24, 05:00 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,217 Times in 773 Posts
Well, the wheel came from eBay, so I can't be sure. Good point though.
Ask the seller
Old 05-01-24, 02:53 PM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by jgwilliams
That hasn't been my experience. Water works well enough before the sealant has set, but I've had a tough time getting dried sealant off the frame of my mountain bike. I know now to deal with it immediately if I've had a puncture - although, of course, one doesn't necessarily realise.
This is generally correct. Once the sealant has dried, it's like latex paint that has dried. It was water miscible when it was liquid, but no longer once it's dried out. Or at least it will take a LONG soak in water to soften/disperse.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 05-01-24, 03:12 PM
PromptCritical 

This sounds right. I think I'm going to put the wheel on a rim brake bike and see if that scrubs it off.
Old 05-01-24, 04:38 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by KerryIrons
This is generally correct. Once the sealant has dried, it's like latex paint that has dried. It was water miscible when it was liquid, but no longer once it's dried out. Or at least it will take a LONG soak in water to soften/disperse.
Agreed, and this is an excellent analogy. The OP would be well served by a visit to a hardware store, looking for a (dried) latex paint stripper. There are plenty, so odds are he'll find something both affordable and effective.store

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 05-01-24, 06:16 PM
PromptCritical 

Another nooob question.

I put a tubeless valve stem in the rim last night and installed a tire. I wasn't entirely clear about how the valve should be installed (after watching 4 YouTube videos - none of which actually showed the valve and seals.....), so I pumped up the tire without sealant to see what would happen, as I didn't want to deal with the mess if I put in the valve stem incorrectly. The tire seated and pumped up to 95#. It seemed to hold pressure, but within a hour or so was completely flat.

Anyone hazard a guess as to whether the problem was the valve stem installation or the lack of sealant?

Also, anyone have any favorite stems?

Last edited by PromptCritical; 05-01-24 at 06:19 PM.
Old 05-01-24, 06:21 PM
FBinNY 

Anyone hazard a guess as to whether the problem was the valve stem installation or the lack of sealant?
I can say with some confidence that it was either or both. Unless it bled out under the rim strip.

Only you know how diligent you were installing the valve, but since it held for a while, it's fairly safe to assume that any leak there would have been sealed. Likewise the bead. Also, make sure the rim strip is pressed down all the way around.

But, you'll never know until you add rhe sealant.
Old 05-01-24, 06:35 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,047 Times in 738 Posts
Another nooob question.

I put a tubeless valve stem in the rim last night and installed a tire. I wasn't entirely clear about how the valve should be installed (after watching 4 YouTube videos - none of which actually showed the valve and seals.....), so I pumped up the tire without sealant to see what would happen, as I didn't want to deal with the mess if I put in the valve stem incorrectly. The tire seated and pumped up to 95#. It seemed to hold pressure, but within a hour or so was completely flat.

Also, anyone have any favorite stems?
If you newly taped it I highly recommend installing a tube before going tubeless to press the tape into place. No matter how much I try to manipulate the tape and stretch it to make it sit flat in the rim, it never fully seems to do so and I can often feel air between the two layers of tape. A tube inflated to 80-90psi usually gets everything flat, take it for a spin around the block if you're concerned the job isn't good enough. Then toss in a valve stem and inflate. The rim its self can be damaged if the tape isn't properly seated. Without sealant, the best I've had just sitting was about 6 hours but that was a mtb and only inflated to 25psi so not a lot of pressure. Any of the treks I built that came tubeless the tires didn't hold for more than an hour or two, air under pressure will find the tiniest of imperfections to leak out, the sealant really matters.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 05-01-24, 07:00 PM
PromptCritical 

I can say with some confidence that it was either or both. Unless it bled out under the rim strip.

Only you know how diligent you were installing the valve, but since it held for a while, it's fairly safe to assume that any leak there would have been sealed. Likewise the bead. Also, make sure the rim strip is pressed down all the way around.

But, you'll never know until you add rhe sealant.
HaHaHa - perfect answer!
Old 05-01-24, 07:01 PM
PromptCritical 

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
If you newly taped it I highly recommend installing a tube before going tubeless to press the tape into place. No matter how much I try to manipulate the tape and stretch it to make it sit flat in the rim, it never fully seems to do so and I can often feel air between the two layers of tape. A tube inflated to 80-90psi usually gets everything flat, take it for a spin around the block if you're concerned the job isn't good enough. Then toss in a valve stem and inflate. The rim its self can be damaged if the tape isn't properly seated. Without sealant, the best I've had just sitting was about 6 hours but that was a mtb and only inflated to 25psi so not a lot of pressure. Any of the treks I built that came tubeless the tires didn't hold for more than an hour or two, air under pressure will find the tiniest of imperfections to leak out, the sealant really matters.
Thanks - appreciate the detail!