Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How come there isn't any normal saddle invented?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-19, 11:06 AM
sysrq

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts

Had no other choice but to use Selle Anatomica. The leather seems comfortable on the sit bones, but the widest part of the metal frame outer edge still puts too much pressure aganst the thigh bones.
And in case of ebikes when ridden on assisted mode all the weight is on the saddle and not the pedals which gets rarely talked about, but that would fit more into different forum section though. Asking about saddles in general for now.
Old 03-10-19, 11:18 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
What are you asking?
Old 03-10-19, 11:38 AM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
More upright position calls for a wider seat.
Old 03-10-19, 11:49 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Q: How come there isn't any normal saddle invented

People don't come out of factories ? our needs are individual.. so many companies make thousands of saddles ..

any new bike has a saddle to complete it's assembly , it may be considered normal for that bike ,
but you really don't have to keep that one..

99 saddles to try on the bike .. (to the tune of "99 bottles of beer on the wall" )

Old 03-10-19, 05:16 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Butt is to saddle what foot is to shoe. There is no normal.
Old 03-11-19, 03:15 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
What's normal?
Old 03-11-19, 05:08 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
Originally Posted by sysrq
...Selle Anatomica. The leather seems comfortable on the sit bones, but the widest part of the metal frame outer edge still puts too much pressure aganst the thigh bones...
If yours hasn't already been modified, try the lacing method to retain the shape of the saddle skirt or edges. Most folks I know locally who ride Selle Anatomica have done that, even the smaller and lighter riders. So have a few Brooks users, although the stiffer Brooks leather seems to retain shape longer without the lacing trick.

Regarding saddles overall, I've found I can ride almost any saddle as long as the angle, fore/aft position and handlebar height are appropriate. I like Selle Italia and Selle San Marco narrow road bike saddles, but only if the bike fit is set up appropriately -- usually with the stem/handlebar fairly low. Otherwise those saddles can feel like an @$$ hatchet after 20-40 miles.

Since 2016 my Univega hybrid has had flat, then riser and now albatross handlebars. The stem has gone from a dirt drop type with upward angle to a 125mm long more or less right angle road bike stem. The bike started with a cushy comfort saddle that was fine when the bike was set up more upright. When I switched to an albatross bar at lower height with longer stem, the bike was more comfortable with a narrow road bike saddle with fairly thin padding but a split, fairly flexible shell. Over the past few months I've tweaked the fit. Lowering the stem/bar height reduced what little discomfort I had in the sit bones and perineum.

But if my old neck injury starts aggravating me again I might need to raise the stem/bar. In which case I'd switch to a more padded, slightly wider saddle. Or the Selle Anatomica, although I'm too much of a cheapskate to spend that much on a saddle. I usually shop the bargain bin for discontinued saddles, which makes Selle Italias a bargain -- they revise the same handful of designs every year, dub 'em with a new name, and slash the prices on the previous year models. Great for us cheapskates.
Old 03-11-19, 06:05 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
My conspiracy theory is the saddle manufacturers are in cahoots with cycling clothing manufacturers so we have to buy padded shorts to sit on their torture devices. Or I just use a Brooks and can ride with or without a chamois.

Old 03-11-19, 06:09 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
All saddles are ok. It's the people that aren't normal.
Old 03-11-19, 06:09 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
What's normal?
Fabric Scoop.

https://fabric.cc/

Nice, good looking, durable, comfortable, models for every price range and type of riding, etc.

-Tim-
Old 03-11-19, 07:13 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Get a lot stronger and thinner then you won't have to worry about as much saddle pressure.

.........I'm joking. Some local bike fitters can do a map for saddle fitment and make a good recommendation. That's the way I'd go if I ever had routine discomfort.
Old 03-11-19, 07:19 AM
Duo
Banned.

Bikes: The Good Book of bicycling

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
try touring saddles on a road bike, wide, comfy, padded. used to get mine from nashbar, until they dropped it. racing saddles feel like riding a plank and may be why many don't bother riding road bikes or all kinds of bikes. a saddle with a good ergonomic groove in the center completes the picture.
Old 03-11-19, 07:26 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
I recently bought a Prologo Dimension saddle.

So far I have only used it on my C60. The ride is comfortable over the long miles and there is no numbness on my “crucial bits.”

I am happy with it and will soon replace all my other long-nosed Prologo saddles.

https://www.prologotouch.com/prologo...ion-tirox-143/
Old 03-11-19, 07:28 AM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
"And in case of ebikes when ridden on assisted mode all the weight is on the saddle and not the pedals"

This should not be unless you are very old (over about 85?) or have a disability. The motor should be strictly assist, primarily for going uphill. You should still be pedaling. If you hope to get any activity benefit from riding then not pedaling as you would a non e-bike will eliminate that benefit entirely.

As to saddles. The most popular saddle for upright bikes in Europe is likely the Selle Royale 8261. My personal favorite is a Brooks B67.
Old 03-11-19, 07:28 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Had no other choice but to use Selle Anatomica. The leather seems comfortable on the sit bones, but the widest part of the metal frame outer edge still puts too much pressure aganst the thigh bones.
And in case of ebikes when ridden on assisted mode all the weight is on the saddle and not the pedals which gets rarely talked about, but that would fit more into different forum section though. Asking about saddles in general for now.
saddle on e-bikes rarely gets talked about because most don't consider e-bikes to be bikes. Get a motorcycle seat for your e-bike and ride it like a moped/motorcycle. or even better just get a moped
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 03-11-19, 09:33 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,537 Times in 554 Posts
Had no other choice but to use Selle Anatomica.
How many saddle choices are there? Hundreds if not thousands. If you've got a more upright bike, perhaps look at what kind of saddles are used on some of the european city bikes.
Old 03-11-19, 09:38 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
What's normal?
Nothing but a setting on the clothes dryer.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-11-19, 09:58 AM
Ludkeh
alpine cross trainer

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Quintara Roo Sendoza, DaVici In-2-Ition Tandem,

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 8 Posts
I also use a Selle Anatomica on my road bike and a Brooks on our Tandem. My answer for uncomfortable saddles is just ride more. Take your allen wrenches with you on your longer rides so you can do some minor for aft or tilt tweeking to improve your ride.

Also with leather saddles, they can be broken in quicker if you really dampen the leather and than go riding. When they dry they'll be "customized" for your butt!
Old 03-11-19, 10:17 AM
sysrq

Originally Posted by canklecat
If yours hasn't already been modified, try the lacing method to retain the shape of the saddle skirt or edges. Most folks I know locally who ride Selle Anatomica have done that, even the smaller and lighter riders. So have a few Brooks users, although the stiffer Brooks leather seems to retain shape longer without the lacing trick.

Regarding saddles overall, I've found I can ride almost any saddle as long as the angle, fore/aft position and handlebar height are appropriate. I like Selle Italia and Selle San Marco narrow road bike saddles, but only if the bike fit is set up appropriately -- usually with the stem/handlebar fairly low. Otherwise those saddles can feel like an @$$ hatchet after 20-40 miles.

Since 2016 my Univega hybrid has had flat, then riser and now albatross handlebars. The stem has gone from a dirt drop type with upward angle to a 125mm long more or less right angle road bike stem. The bike started with a cushy comfort saddle that was fine when the bike was set up more upright. When I switched to an albatross bar at lower height with longer stem, the bike was more comfortable with a narrow road bike saddle with fairly thin padding but a split, fairly flexible shell. Over the past few months I've tweaked the fit. Lowering the stem/bar height reduced what little discomfort I had in the sit bones and perineum.

But if my old neck injury starts aggravating me again I might need to raise the stem/bar. In which case I'd switch to a more padded, slightly wider saddle. Or the Selle Anatomica, although I'm too much of a cheapskate to spend that much on a saddle. I usually shop the bargain bin for discontinued saddles, which makes Selle Italias a bargain -- they revise the same handful of designs every year, dub 'em with a new name, and slash the prices on the previous year models. Great for us cheapskates.
Thanks for prompt reply. The pain is almost right next to the thigh bones or pubic rami. Butterfly handlebars are perpendicular to headset, almost above to top tube giving about 70-80 degree position, 60 becomes too uncomfortable on Selle Anatomica. Was using some old german saddle before, found in a barn by accident and could ride it for more than 9 hours per day. It looked like this one but was in a better condition and less deformed. Probably that's the only shape that fits me.
Google: ''old antique vintage Germany Brown Leather Bicycle Bike Suspension Saddle Seat ebay'' first picture.
Not sure if generic suspension seatpost helps at all but it's there.

I'm cheapskate myself usually as well, just had a sudden phase of reckless spending.

Then there is Manta Saddle, but it needs something to stop sliding down from it, like some sort of a knob or raised bump similar to the one on scooter saddles, small enough to prevent interfering with the leg movement + concave shaped moving elements to prevent pressing too much underneath the thigh muscles.

Last edited by sysrq; 03-11-19 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-11-19, 11:30 AM
sysrq

Originally Posted by CrankyOne
"And in case of ebikes when ridden on assisted mode all the weight is on the saddle and not the pedals"

This should not be unless you are very old (over about 85?) or have a disability. The motor should be strictly assist, primarily for going uphill. You should still be pedaling. If you hope to get any activity benefit from riding then not pedaling as you would a non e-bike will eliminate that benefit entirely.

As to saddles. The most popular saddle for upright bikes in Europe is likely the Selle Royale 8261. My personal favorite is a Brooks B67.
Will have to use the ebike on hills and headwinds only even if it has a torque sensor.
For commuting between the towns activity is not important that much, only saving battery and maintaining consistent speed.
Old 03-11-19, 11:35 AM
sysrq

Originally Posted by mtb_addict
I think humans are just not smart enough. With the rise of AI, it will soon have the intelligence to design a perfect saddle for everyone of us.
Agreed, looks like it will be easier to invent time travel and teleportation based on quantum entanglement than a normal saddle.
Old 03-11-19, 11:41 AM
sysrq

Originally Posted by Ludkeh
I also use a Selle Anatomica on my road bike and a Brooks on our Tandem. My answer for uncomfortable saddles is just ride more. Take your allen wrenches with you on your longer rides so you can do some minor for aft or tilt tweeking to improve your ride.
I could ride more, but without a practical purpose it seems like a waste of chain, sprockets and tires.

Originally Posted by Ludkeh
Also with leather saddles, they can be broken in quicker if you really dampen the leather and than go riding. When they dry they'll be "customized" for your butt!
Can't do that on brand new saddles since the will be no warranty anymore.
Old 03-11-19, 11:48 AM
sysrq

Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
saddle on e-bikes rarely gets talked about because most don't consider e-bikes to be bikes. Get a motorcycle seat for your e-bike and ride it like a moped/motorcycle. or even better just get a moped
Can't do that without a provisional licence + going to a gas station is kinda boring.
Old 03-11-19, 11:50 AM
tony colegrave

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you ever thought that pedal cycling may not be for you?
Old 03-11-19, 12:20 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3130 Post(s)
Liked 2,111 Times in 1,374 Posts
I hope the AI's invent their saddles before the Singularity, otherwise they will tell us to shove it up our...
Genesis 49:16-17

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.