Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Exasperating things car drivers do

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Old 07-18-13, 05:48 AM
cycleobsidian
cycleobsidian

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yesterday I was walking in 35 degree Celcius heat (around 96 degrees Fahrenheit) and I passed in front of a Tim Horton's coffee shop. There must have been 15 -20 cars waiting in the drive thru, all of them idling. I'm thinking to myself, really?? You are idling your car in 35 C heat. Are you guys for real? Where do they think smog comes from??

They could have easily have parked their car and went in, and the wait would not have been substantially longer.

What things have you witnessed car drivers do that made you shake your head in disbelief?
Old 07-18-13, 06:12 AM
plustax

Bikes: 90's Campione,90's trek multitrack,2005 trek 3700

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Driving them in general.
Old 07-18-13, 07:11 AM
chewa
The Flying Scot

Bikes: Custom (Colin Laing) 531c fast tourer/audax, 1964 Flying Scot Continental, 1995 Cinelli Supercorsa, Holdsworth Mistral single speed, Dahon Speed 6 (folder), Micmo Sirocco and a few more

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bet it was to keep the aircon on!

1985 Sandy Gilchrist-Colin Laing built 531c Audax/fast tourer.
1964 Flying Scot Continental (531)
1995 Cinelli Supercorsa (Columbus SLX)
1980s Holdsworth Mistral fixed (531)
2005 Dahon Speed 6 (folder)
(YES I LIKE STEEL)
2008 Viking Saratoga tandem
2008 Micmo Sirocco Hybrid (aluminium!)
2012 BTwin Rockrider 8.1
Old 07-18-13, 07:29 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Circling the parking lot and then blocking the lane while someone backs out, just to snag a spot 20 feet closer. That always gets to me.
Old 07-18-13, 08:41 AM
kmv2

Bikes: Bianchi circa late 1980s, Surly Cross Check, Kona Blast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
drive thrus have to be one of the most idiotic inventions ever (imo of course, I'm sure alot of obese/lazy people disagree with me).

My biggest complaint would have to be creeping/rolling at stop signs where many people are walking, followed by residential street speeding.

I could probably write a pretty huge list on exasperating things car drivers do, but on the other hand I could also write a fairly large list on exasperating things cyclists do.
Old 07-18-13, 08:44 AM
kmv2

Bikes: Bianchi circa late 1980s, Surly Cross Check, Kona Blast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh oh, here's another one. When they "wave" you forward at an intersection to cross (when you were going to cross anyways because you have ROW). As if they have the right to say who can cross and who can't. I'm crossing because I have right of way, and I'm certainly not going to "thank" you for letting me.
Old 07-18-13, 09:15 AM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Speeding up to pass you and then putting on the brakes, cutting you off to turn right... Pet peeve...
Old 07-18-13, 09:28 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 2,624 Times in 944 Posts
Originally Posted by kmv2
oh oh, here's another one. When they "wave" you forward at an intersection to cross (when you were going to cross anyways because you have ROW). As if they have the right to say who can cross and who can't. I'm crossing because I have right of way, and I'm certainly not going to "thank" you for letting me.
I do that when driving as well. The reason isn't that I'm giving you the ROW. The reason is so you know what I'm going to not do. Such as ignore you, and run you down.
Old 07-18-13, 09:56 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
How about when they leave the engine running while they run into the party store for a pack of cigs? Some idiots even leave their small kids in cars with the engine on! My city outlawed this practice after a few cars slipped into gear and crashed into the store.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 07-18-13, 10:30 AM
cabledawg

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
I hate drivethru's but use them when travelling and the kiddos are snoozing. Why wake everyone up when I can grab lunch/dinner and not wake them? Otherwise, I'll walk in. Like mentioned before, it usually takes less time.

And like locolobo said, I dont wave to grant permission, I do it so the rider knows I'm aware he/she is there and not going to run them over.

My biggest peeve with other motorists (especially in Ohio) is tailgating and getting cutoff. Running red lights and stop signs is a huge problem around here too as I've had several close calls in just the past year. Good thing the brakes work!
Old 07-18-13, 11:14 AM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cycleobsidian
Y... I passed in front of a Tim Horton's coffee shop. There must have been 15 -20 cars waiting in the drive thru, all of them idling.
Hate to say this, but Tim Horton's is a blemish on the Canadian landscape. It's probably responsible for about half the volume of crap that gets dragged from Toronto to the Michigan landfills...
Old 07-18-13, 04:24 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
One of my pet pevees is when I see a line of cars parked along the fire route in front of the grocery store. Too lazy to walk few hundered feet.. If people could drive into a store they would.
Old 07-18-13, 04:34 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by Roody
Some idiots even leave their small kids in cars.
Few weeks ago a 2 year old boy died from heatstroke when he was left inside the car while somebody went shopping...Another incident which happened just yesterday was when some idiot in an suv was driving along a hwy exit ramp when a rear door opened and his small child fell out while strapped into a child seat. Apperently the child seat was not secured correctly.
Old 07-18-13, 05:05 PM
cycleobsidian
cycleobsidian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
Hate to say this, but Tim Horton's is a blemish on the Canadian landscape. It's probably responsible for about half the volume of crap that gets dragged from Toronto to the Michigan landfills...
Yes, Timmies sure enjoys good PR when they are major contributors to landfills... Some of my coworkers have a daily habit, and of course, despite their frequency of use, don't make the effort to use their own mug.

I must admit though that I enjoy a Timmies myself a few times a year while on the highway so that I don't sleep while driving...but at least, I guess, I don' t go through the drive thru!
Old 07-18-13, 05:26 PM
wolfchild
Banned

The same can be said about every fast food joint out there..Personally I prefer to brew my own coffee at home.
Old 07-18-13, 05:29 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Hey, we didn't want their trash! The US Supreme Court made us take it. It's still a touchy subject...almost a border war between Michigan and Ontario at the time.

Now we have Tim Hortons all over the place. I like their breakfasts, their coffee is as good as McDonalds and better than Starbucks.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 07-18-13, 06:23 PM
MEversbergII

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
It exasperates me when I see cars with bikes strapped to them.

M.
Old 07-18-13, 11:58 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Parked in the fire lane...YUP.
Stopped and idling ANYWHERE...YUP.
Kids/pets in the car...YUP.

SMH to all of them.

How about the fools who drive down residential streets WALKING THEIR DOGS? Arm out the window, holding the leash...and the dog is trotting along.
How about visitors to homes who pull into the driveway, shut off the car, and leave the stereo on? What, you're gonna listen to it IN THE HOUSE?
I have seen drivers speed up when they see pedestrians crossing a half-block ahead of them.
Old 07-19-13, 07:35 AM
Rootman

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Had the weirdest thing happen to me last week. I've been right hooked, pulled up on, passed too close, all that crap, but last week takes the cake.

I'm just about to my destination, a pretty little lake I ride to on a Saturday morning, I am stopped at a stop sign at the bottom of a T in the road, next to the stop sign and right of the right wheel track, about 10' back from the sign well away from the intersection. I have to make a right turn, go about 150' and then turn left, so I just sit and drink from a bottle of water, both feet on the ground and let 3 cars go by so as not to impede the traffic by my sudden left turn just down the road. I'm in no hurry.

A SUV pull up to my left on the abutting road, there is no stop on the top of the T's road mind you, they have the right away. I again let them know to go ahead by waving and take another drink. They just sit there stopped, no blinker or any indication of where the hell they are going. They pull around the curve widely enough that they actually are in the opposing lane facing me, rear of the car sitting in the lane they are turning from. Here I am face to face with this SUV staring at this doofus. Is he a bike hating cop wanting to yell at me? Someone wanting to try and force me off the road? I don't know. Here we sit front bike tire only about 3' from his front bumper him in the wrong lane. Well, I'm typically nice about stuff and realize I can move around much easier than a car can, but this is nuts, so I just stand there. They too just sit there. At least there was no yelling or horn blowing and we stare at each other for maybe 20 seconds. Then the SUV backs up and see-saws maybe 3 times around to point the front of the vehicle towards the right lane to get around me. WTF, he could of done it in maybe ONE turn but he takes 3, edging closer and closer to an angle at which he can go around. He eventually gets it at an angle pointed past me and slowly takes off. Said nothing as we passed, then I realized, he was on a f'ing cell phone, steering with his elbow. This dude was so distracted my his phone that he could not use his blinker, or do a right turn and stay in the correct lane. At least he wasn't so distracted that he could not see me.

One wonders how people like that avoid killing someone or causing major accidents.
Old 07-19-13, 07:48 AM
MEversbergII

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Rootman
One wonders how people like that avoid killing someone or causing major accidents.
They don't avoid it - simply hasn't happened yet. They'll eventually grave someone when the time comes.

M.
Old 07-19-13, 03:29 PM
wolfchild
Banned

There are a lot of people out there who should not be allowed to have a drivers license and operate a vehicle. They should be forced to take public transit , walk and ride a bike... Some people don't have enough conscience to operate something that can be used as a deadly weapon..
Old 07-19-13, 06:41 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by MEversbergII
It exasperates me when I see cars with bikes strapped to them.

M.
Aren't those trophies of their kills?
Old 07-19-13, 08:21 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr
Speeding up to pass you and then putting on the brakes, cutting you off to turn right... Pet peeve...
On a similar note: Making a dangerous pass around me, then turning either way within ten seconds thereafter. Even if they don't cut me off I can't understand it. They saved zero time and just endangered me for nothing, not even one second. Exasperated is when that happens and infuriated is when they cut me off as well.
Old 07-19-13, 08:25 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
There are a lot of people out there who should not be allowed to have a drivers license and operate a vehicle. They should be forced to take public transit , walk and ride a bike...
There are a few of us who probably should be prohibited from riding bikes and forced to drive cars. I drive like an old lady and bike like an ass.
Old 07-19-13, 10:20 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by JoeyBike
There are a few of us who probably should be prohibited from riding bikes and forced to drive cars. I drive like an old lady and bike like an ass.
No, you bike like a bad ass.

"Think Outside the Cage"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.