Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Time for new tires? How to tell?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 05-18-14, 12:36 AM
uoficowboy

Bikes: 2007 Jamis aurora

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi - I have a Jamis Aurora that I purchased in the summer of 2007. The tires are the original tires. I've put easily 5K miles on them, but probably significantly more. Hard to keep track!

I've taken a couple photos showing their condition. The tread at the center of them is essentially gone. They also have some holes from many pieces of glass over the years. Further they have some cracks on their sides that don't look healthy.

I do not like to waste anything - I really believe in tossing things when they are completely ruined. But I'm starting to think that I've come to that point with these tires. Then again, to be fair, I've put a lot of miles on them recently with zero issues. So I'm not sure. What do you all think?

Thanks!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
tire 1 small.jpg (97.0 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg
tire 2 small.jpg (97.9 KB, 70 views)
Old 05-18-14, 12:51 AM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
You've stated they have cracks, yes? Going about on them as is, they will - sooner than later - make the decision for you. They will blow out on the road somewhere. Then it will be time for Murphy's Law to come into play. I suggest you start looking for replacements and if you find the one's you want at a good price? Read the above again about Murphy.

Best to at least have tires ready to go when the one's you're on now are called home by the Great Rubber Tree. And I'd carry some cash for a taxi.
Old 05-18-14, 01:00 AM
uoficowboy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Panthers007
You've stated they have cracks, yes? Going about on them as is, they will - sooner than later - make the decision for you. They will blow out on the road somewhere. Then it will be time for Murphy's Law to come into play. I suggest you start looking for replacements and if you find the one's you want at a good price? Read the above again about Murphy.

Best to at least have tires ready to go when the one's you're on now are called home by the Great Rubber Tree. And I'd carry some cash for a taxi.
I'm not sure if cracks is the right word - see the photos I posted. That shows the cracks I'm referring to.

On a side note - I'd love some suggestions for some similar all around tires. These have been going strong for ~7 years so something similar would be my preference
Old 05-18-14, 01:21 AM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
'Cracks' is the exactly right word. Not knowing the type of riding you plan, or your terrain makes it difficult to suggest a particular tire. But one company that covers quite a bit of <koff> ground is Continental. Give 'em a google. And I'm sure more folk will drop in to offer their 2 cents.
Old 05-18-14, 06:36 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Are you a tinkerer or just a rider?

If all that you do is ride, you might just as well buy replacements now. You know that you're going to be due for new pretty soon so you might as well get them now so you can put the question out of your mind.

If you're a tinkerer and you're willing to put up with fixing flats on the side of the road in order to save a little it of money, those tires have a little more wear. My test is when I can see a different color stripe start to wear around the circumference of the tire. Usually though, before that happens, I start getting more frequent flats.
Old 05-18-14, 06:51 AM
TheReal Houdini

Bikes: Cervelo P3 (retired), Habanero Road, Novara Safari, Batavus Personal Delivery Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The sidewall cracking is cosmetic - it's not integral to the function of the tire. I ride my tires until I can see patches of casing threads, then I move the old front tire to the rear and put a new tire on the front. The other way I lose tires is to large casing cuts.
Old 05-18-14, 07:10 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by TheReal Houdini
I ride my tires until I can see patches of casing threads, then I move the old front tire to the rear and put a new tire on the front.
Yup, you're a tinkerer. Thanks for proving my point.
Old 05-18-14, 07:40 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
4 words.... Buy some new tires.
Old 05-18-14, 09:51 AM
Bezalel

Bikes: Raleigh Companion, Nashbar Touring, Novara DiVano, Trek FX 7.1, Giant Upland

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by uoficowboy
On a side note - I'd love some suggestions for some similar all around tires. These have been going strong for ~7 years so something similar would be my preference
If you're satisfied with what you have, why not just get the same tire? Vittoria recently changed the tread pattern but the Zaffiro is still in production.
Old 05-18-14, 10:04 AM
melloveloyellow

Bikes: RitcheyAscent, FisherMontare

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally, I would ride those some more.

Nashbar is my go-to source for tires. I use the Slick City, and they can usually be had for ~$15 delivered. Sidewall specs say inflate 65-100 psi. (Nashbar on-line says max 85 - they are wrong)

Nashbar Slick City Tire - Tires

I've had good results with this one, as well. 40-60 psi

Nashbar Streetwise City Tire - Tires

My rims are 26 inch, BTW.

Last edited by melloveloyellow; 05-18-14 at 10:09 AM.
Old 05-18-14, 10:23 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,416 Times in 2,525 Posts
I'm admittedly a cheapskate and a tinkerer, and I would let those tires keep rolling until the first threads show through. I did just recently splurge on the best possible tires (for comfortable, flat-resistant commuting): Schwalbe Marathon Supremes, but they are quite spendy. Before that, I got more miles than I expected from used tires that I bought for $5 each from a vintage bike shop (essentially a co-op).
Old 05-18-14, 10:39 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Bored with the ones you have and want something different is often sufficient.
Old 05-18-14, 10:39 AM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Consider tires a safety issue. If you are going along all day at only 5 mph a flat probably won't be too bad, but even at 15 mph a sudden blow can cause a crash that will cost you far more than tires. I used to let my tires crumble and run down to nothing, but after reading about crashes here on BF, my opinion has become much more conservative. Me or the tires? I choose me.
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.
Old 05-18-14, 10:45 AM
bkaapcke

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
Get new tires to have them on hand. Keep riding the ones you have until you're tired of fixing flats. Then install the new rubber.

OTOH I find fixing flats a real boring chore, so I replace early. I don't mind the incremental expense. So, decide how much hassle you're willing to put up with to get the last dollars worth of wear from your tires. Then pick your approach. bk
Old 05-18-14, 12:15 PM
uoficowboy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Are you a tinkerer or just a rider?

If all that you do is ride, you might just as well buy replacements now. You know that you're going to be due for new pretty soon so you might as well get them now so you can put the question out of your mind.

If you're a tinkerer and you're willing to put up with fixing flats on the side of the road in order to save a little it of money, those tires have a little more wear. My test is when I can see a different color stripe start to wear around the circumference of the tire. Usually though, before that happens, I start getting more frequent flats.
I hate fixing flats... But it's been probably 1K miles since my last one. So it's definitely not a problem yet. Not sure if I qualify as a tinkerer or rider - I try to do all my own maintenance on my bike, but I don't particularly enjoy it - I just like riding

So I should expect to start getting more flats when it becomes time to retire my tires?
Old 05-18-14, 01:40 PM
Bezalel

Bikes: Raleigh Companion, Nashbar Touring, Novara DiVano, Trek FX 7.1, Giant Upland

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadTire
Consider tires a safety issue. If you are going along all day at only 5 mph a flat probably won't be too bad, but even at 15 mph a sudden blow can cause a crash that will cost you far more than tires. I used to let my tires crumble and run down to nothing, but after reading about crashes here on BF, my opinion has become much more conservative. Me or the tires? I choose me.
Except that as long as the casing isn't exposed there isn't any significant risk of a blowout.
Old 05-18-14, 01:43 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by uoficowboy
I hate fixing flats... But it's been probably 1K miles since my last one. So it's definitely not a problem yet. Not sure if I qualify as a tinkerer or rider - I try to do all my own maintenance on my bike, but I don't particularly enjoy it - I just like riding

So I should expect to start getting more flats when it becomes time to retire my tires?
Yes and No...I have had many flats on New Tires during the First ride.

Old 05-19-14, 07:02 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I haven't a noticed a correlation if flat rate and degree of tire wear. It seems the majority of the flats I get are due to small sharp items embedded in the rubber that work their way through the cords and tube over many rotations. Tires with thinner rubber may be slightly easier to penetrate overall, but the thinner rubber tends to retain fewer embedded objects than thicker rubber. Basically, I run tires until the cords are starting to show.