Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Trek 7.3 or 7.4 FX?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Trek 7.3 or 7.4 FX?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-14, 02:52 PM
MichelleOH

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek 7.3 or 7.4 FX?

I can't find comparison charts other than doing a "compare" on the Trek website. Does anyone have a good site with more info? My LBS said the 7.4 has the carbon fork and some better components. He also said it has different grips, but according to Trek, that's not true.
Old 05-25-14, 03:02 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
7.4 FX - Trek Bicycle

Upgrades from 7.3 FX.
  • Bontrager Nebula carbon fork
  • Shimano Acera/Deore 27-speed drivetrain

Looks like your LBS is correct.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 05-25-14, 03:05 PM
MichelleOH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. He also said it's got better tires. I did find this link: Bike model comparison - Trek Bicycle
Old 05-25-14, 03:08 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Originally Posted by MichelleOH
Thanks. He also said it's got better tires. I did find this link: Bike model comparison - Trek Bicycle
According to their website, the 7.4 FX comes with "AW1 Hard-Case" 700x32c tyres whereas the 7.3 FX has "AW1 Hard-Case Lite" 700x32c tyres. I have no idea what the "Lite" designation indicates.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 05-25-14, 04:11 PM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
It all boils down to this: Is the cost differential between the 7.3 and 7.4 worth the "better" grips, tires(?), carbon fork, and Deore/Acera derailleurs? Parts is parts. When you buy a new bicycle you are buying a frame and fork manufactured by/for a certain company. Sometimes the company also manufactures some components - such as Trek-Bontrager. The primary thing I look at is how well the frame/fork are made. From there it's a balancing act of components and how much you are being charged for them. Often the frame/fork will be the same on a few different models. Not always though.
Old 05-25-14, 04:13 PM
MichelleOH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Problem for me is…I don't know if I would know the difference. The 7.4 is $110 more than the 7.3 retail, which is probably worth the cost upgrade. Thanks.
Old 05-25-14, 04:28 PM
mcmoose

Bikes: Trek Silque S, Bianchi Aria e-Road

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I own a 2014 FX 7.3 WSD. The 7.4 gives you the carbon fork, some better components (crank, rear DR, brake levers) and the Lite version of the AW1 Hard Case tires. When I bought my 7.3, it was on sale, so it was $160 more for the 7.4. In retrospect, I sort of wish I'd spent the extra $$$, mainly for the carbon fork; a STRAIGHT alloy fork is pretty unforgiving.

The one thing I do like about the 7.3 is the Seeglass paint -- it actually glows when headlights hit it. Then again, I'm super big on drivers seeing me.

I think you'd be happy with either bike. If you get to test ride them, try taking them over bumpy, rough pavement -- that will help you decide if the carbon fork matters to you.
Old 05-25-14, 04:28 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
To answer your question, yes, the 7.4 is a better bike.............. IMHO, well worth the $. I think the 7.4 or 7.4 disc, are the best buys in that line.
Old 05-25-14, 04:44 PM
MichelleOH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, guys. I was hoping if I can pick up a green 7.4 that I would be more visible. It looks really bright in pictures. Trek 7.4 FX 2014 | discoverycycles.com.au
Old 05-25-14, 05:24 PM
mcmoose

Where are you buying your bike? The website you listed is in Australia -- seems like the Aussies get a lot more color (or colour) choices than us Yanks! Typically, Trek U.S. only offers one or two color choices per model.

P.S. Yes, that green really POPS!!
Old 05-25-14, 06:31 PM
MichelleOH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know if I'll be able to get the green, as like you said, it's only listed overseas. I've got a conversation started with Trek and they said they would check warehouses near me…but I'm not going to hold my breath. I think the white is also very nice, but there's just something about that green!
Old 05-25-14, 07:43 PM
flan48

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 2

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
Hi Michelle,
Color choices not withstanding, I was kind of faced with the same choice almost 2 years ago. However, the LBS from whom I purchased my bike said that I should either go with the 7.2 FX, or the 7.4. To go with the 7.3 makes little sense, IMHO, because for only $100 more you get a better rear derailleur and a carbon front fork - smoother, more efficient shifting and a better, with less vibrations, ride.

Just my 2 cents.
Good luck and best regards
Old 05-25-14, 09:30 PM
yashinon

Bikes: Trek Domane

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
You can select up to 3 bikes models on Trek's site for a comparison. I think it really comes down to what you want to do with the bike. If you want to ride longer distances, the higher end is going to better. The entire FX line up is pretty sweet. There is something for everyone. I wonder tho...who really buys the 7.7? You may as well get a road bike for that price!
Old 05-25-14, 09:41 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Originally Posted by yashinon
You can select up to 3 bikes models on Trek's site for a comparison. I think it really comes down to what you want to do with the bike. If you want to ride longer distances, the higher end is going to better. The entire FX line up is pretty sweet. There is something for everyone. I wonder tho...who really buys the 7.7? You may as well get a road bike for that price!
The 7.7 FX is a road bike, which is belied by its flat-bar configuration. The 7.7 FX shares the frame with the Madone 3 and is equipped with Tiagra components (i.e. road-bike gearing).

Old 05-26-14, 02:06 AM
MickeyMaguire
Avid Cyclist

Bikes: Diamondback Century Disc

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Columbus, Ohio TREK store is not far from me. There are three excellent bike shops within about half a mile of each other. Performance Bike, Bike Source, Columbus Trek... all Sawmill Road. I bought my last bike and one for my wife at Performance Bike. I am very happy with the purchase. The Trek shop, though, has a better mechanic.
Old 05-26-14, 08:31 AM
eMats

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flan48
Hi Michelle,
Color choices not withstanding, I was kind of faced with the same choice almost 2 years ago. However, the LBS from whom I purchased my bike said that I should either go with the 7.2 FX, or the 7.4. To go with the 7.3 makes little sense, IMHO, because for only $100 more you get a better rear derailleur and a carbon front fork - smoother, more efficient shifting and a better, with less vibrations, ride.

Just my 2 cents.
Good luck and best regards

I'll tell you who will buy a 7.7.... an old guy. I'm looking at getting that model as my back and neck can't handle a road bike's drop bars for a long period of time. I have a 7.4 disc and it's great. I suspect the 7.7 would fit me well for longer distances without the rack, fenders, etc. that's attached to my 7.4. A lighter version of my 7.4 is what I'm after, so there.
Old 05-26-14, 09:55 AM
MichelleOH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL, someone must buy them since they keep making 'em!
Old 05-26-14, 03:23 PM
yashinon

Bikes: Trek Domane

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by eMats
I'll tell you who will buy a 7.7.... an old guy. I'm looking at getting that model as my back and neck can't handle a road bike's drop bars for a long period of time. I have a 7.4 disc and it's great. I suspect the 7.7 would fit me well for longer distances without the rack, fenders, etc. that's attached to my 7.4. A lighter version of my 7.4 is what I'm after, so there.
Very nice!!
Old 05-26-14, 03:31 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by eMats
I know a guy who rides the 7.9 FX. Full carbon, Ultegra derailleurs. He us an old guy 75 years old.
Old 05-26-14, 03:40 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Carbon fork alone s worth the extra $110.
Old 05-26-14, 05:30 PM
side_FX

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by yashinon
I am currently on the fence about getting the 7.7. I am sort of old, at 46, or at least that's what my kids say. I know I can get a drop bar road bike, and I am considering the 3.1 Madone as well. I want to go fast, but I might want to put a rack on it as well. I see my LBS peloton roll by on weekend mornings and it looks like they're all so busy trying not to run into each other. That's not my style. I'd rather sit up a bit higher and see the scenery as I roll by. I think that's where the 7.7 shines.

but to answer the OP, I'd say do the 7.4 if you can swing the extra $$$, it's always better to round up instead of down.

Last edited by side_FX; 05-26-14 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-26-14, 05:33 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Originally Posted by side_FX
I am currently on the fence about getting the 7.7. I am sort of old, at 46, or at least that's what my kids say. I know I can get a drop bar road bike, and I am considering the 3.1 Madone as well. I want to go fast, but I might want to put a rack on it as well. I see my LBS peloton roll by on weekend mornings and it looks like they're all so busy trying not to run into each other. That's not my style. I'd rather sit up a bit higher and see the scenery as I roll by. I think that's where the 7.7 shines.
Looks like the 7.7 FX would be a great bike for you!

Old 05-26-14, 06:18 PM
mcmoose

Not to make this a 7.7 thread, but...

side_FX, I think you should do a (pardon the pun) side-by-side test ride of the 7.7 and a Domane 4.0 -- seems more reasonable to compare the flat-bar road bike to an endurance bike.
Old 05-28-14, 10:19 AM
side_FX

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mcmoose
Not to make this a 7.7 thread, but...

side_FX, I think you should do a (pardon the pun) side-by-side test ride of the 7.7 and a Domane 4.0 -- seems more reasonable to compare the flat-bar road bike to an endurance bike.
Thanks for the advice. I have checked out the domanes and they look pretty nice. I was just drawn to the 3.1 madone because it is the only madone/domane that has fender AND rack mounts. All the others just say fender mounts or none at all. I am considering the 520 tourer also, but that may be too heavy duty for my "light travel" needs. I am in southern NJ near Philly and would like to use the bike to travel 50 miles or so to Cape May, NJ for some much needed beach time. I would like to carry a few choice items on a rack off the back of the bike. I don't think there's anything compatible for the domane.
Old 05-28-14, 10:30 AM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by side_FX

but to answer the OP, I'd say do the 7.4 if you can swing the extra $$$, it's always better to round up instead of down.
If you are looking for rack mounts and or fender ones on a carbon bike you might want to check out Giant's Escape RX Composite. The MSRP is $1550 but I picked up ours for $1250 each and upgraded to 105s.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.