Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

My most comfortable bike is between two sizes of a frame I'm looking at...

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-14, 02:43 PM
agmetal

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, ANT 3-speed roadster, New Albion Privateer singlespeed, Raleigh One Way singlespeed, Raleigh Professional "retro roadie" rebuild, 198? Fuji(?) franken-5-speed, 1937 Raleigh Tourist, 1952 Raleigh Sports, 1966 Raleigh Sports step-through

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts

...and I'm not sure which will fit better because of several variables.

I have a 2011 Bianchi Volpe, in the 51cm size. Volpe | Bianchi USA
According to the geometry chart, my effective top tube length is 52.5cm, seat tube angle of 74.5º, head tube angle of 71º. The stock seatpost has about an inch of setback, and I have the saddle (Gilles Berthoud Aspin) almost as far back as it'll go on that seatpost. Stem is 90mm, bars are about 75mm reach, plus the Shimano brifters.

I'm playing with the idea of building a single-speed around a Fyxation Quiver frame. Quiver Steel Road Frameset | Fyxation
At a quick glance at the geometry chart, the 49cm frame has almost the same TT length as my Volpe, but the headtube is significantly shorter (93mm vs the Volpe's 120mm), and the seat tube and head tube angles are both 1º steeper. I'm afraid that I'd need a lot of seatpost setback, along with a pretty tall headset spacer stack to get the fit right.

On the other hand, the 53cm Quiver frame has a 54.8cm TT length, with 74.5º STA and 72º HTA, still with a shorter headtube length than the Volpe (100mm vs 120mm). My concern is that I'd compensate for the longer TT by using a zero-offset seatpost and possibly shorter stem, but how much does that end up affecting my effective STA and saddle position relative to the pedals?