Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fuel for 25 mile ride?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Fuel for 25 mile ride?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-16, 07:44 AM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
No worries, we are just talking about different things.

Lots of racing cyclists are trying to manage weight for sure. But the biggest reason to become fat-adapted (ie train fasted or on minimal calories in order to force the body to use more efficiently used stored fat as fuel) is because when you are racing there are times it's logistically impossible to eat. Being fat-adapted puts you at competitive advantage when racing.

Personally I think trying to become better fat-adapted benefits most cyclists- because any of us could get in a situation out on the bike where you're out of food or sugar water. But for most people it's not necessary, so just always riding with food is fine too.

Personally, 25 miles I wouldn't eat & might not drink either. I for sure would if it were hot out though. I use electrolytes (in my bottles) in scenarios where I'll be sweating if the ride will be 3 hours or longer. Three hours is about my tipping point for eating too.

It all depends on how hard I'm working, I try to have it work out to a 1500ish cal deficit max on a long ride. So I know my burn rate (power meter) and I know my intake. From there it's just math.

Not that everybody should do the same necessarily. I do want to both manage weight & encourage fat adaptation.

I don't even know what "fat adapted" means.

I'm not a racing cyclist, just a road cyclist. I always bring food and drink, and stop to buy more when I need it.
Old 09-21-16, 08:23 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Serious point here, I'm not just giving you $hit: should you really be "depleted" from previous day's training? That's what recovery is (partially) about, right?

You do your workout with as little calorie intake as you can get away with, and then you make sure you rehydrate & get the carbs/protein/calories into you before the next workout. Pretty rare that an amateur cyclist, racing or not, can't refuel completely before the next workout.

Or at least this is how middle aged ladies recover. You young bucks can get away with all kinds of $hit, it seems. Life isn't fair.
I guess keep in mind I'm a 2 working on (hopefully) getting to 1 sometime next year so my perspective is a bit silly. It really depends on the time of year, what the workouts are, and what goals are coming up. In general though I try to eat more than is necessary while riding, because my typical training load while in season burns a pretty decent amount of kj a week and it just makes things easier from a food management perspective. You don't even want to know what base kj is like; I still haven't come to terms with knowing that I'm going to be burning even more this winter than last winter . You can bet that many training days in February were so long and high kj that I felt pretty not recovered day to day which is just part of what happens at the end of a base block, but you can also bet I can do the same thing to myself in season with high glycogen using intervally workouts which is bad, and has 1) resulted in long coach lectures that boil down to "DON'T DO THAT!" and 2) necessitated some unplanned rest periods to get my legs back in order.

My point though, was it doesn't hurt to bring some food and water with you even if the ride is short. The worst case scenario is you don't touch it, which just means you bring it back home with you.
Old 09-21-16, 09:09 AM
sh00k

Bikes: 2011 Trek FX 7.3 | 2015 Trek FX 7.4 | Lotus Classique

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by FXjohn
a 1/4 philly cheese steak every 6.25 miles

but seriously, +1 for the suggestion to mix gatorade + water. maybe a couple bottles to be safe. eggs in the morning before the ride should be sufficient for fuel.
Old 09-21-16, 09:22 PM
garciawork

Bikes: Mikkelsen custom steel, Santa Cruz Chameleon SS, old trek trainer bike

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Nothing but the half and half in my coffee. I don't eat much before I get out, unless it is late afternoon, or closer to 50 miles.
Old 09-22-16, 09:17 AM
kraftwerk 
my nice bike is at home

Bikes: 2011 BMC Race Machine / 2012 BMC Road Machine / Trek 2300 / '90's Merlin/ '70's Raleigh 20/ Ti-'swift' folder / Erickson w/S&S couplers

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Haven't read through all 5 pages (!) I am sure it has been said on a ride so short it's what you have eaten before the ride that morning ( that day) or the night before that will influence the ride. A bit over 25 miles and its good to have something to knosh on. Anyway, what ever it is you ingest.. especially you 'gel' / 'goo' addicts don't leave your mess of wrappers all over the place ! If the wrapper is not in your pocket when you get home you f#@%ed up.

Old 09-22-16, 11:03 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by memebag
I don't even know what "fat adapted" means.

I'm not a racing cyclist, just a road cyclist. I always bring food and drink, and stop to buy more when I need it.
My understanding is that it means training your body to use fat rather than glycogen as its main fuel for longer periods and at higher intensities. Long, moderate intensity rides in a fasted state trains that adaptation.
Old 09-22-16, 11:33 AM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
Originally Posted by kraftwerk
Anyway, what ever it is you ingest.. especially you 'gel' / 'goo' addicts don't leave your mess of wrappers all over the place ! If the wrapper is not in your pocket when you get home you f#@%ed up.
Man, amen to that. I'm finding those wrappers all over our local mountain bike trails and it certainly isn't the hikers leaving them behind.
Old 09-22-16, 11:47 AM
memebag

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
My understanding is that it means training your body to use fat rather than glycogen as its main fuel for longer periods and at higher intensities. Long, moderate intensity rides in a fasted state trains that adaptation.
Yeah, I looked it up. It's what they used to call "ketosis". My mom did fad diets in the 1970s that did that to her. It was dangerous.

I'm OK being sugar adapted.
Old 09-28-16, 03:50 PM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
So yesterday a typical food /cycling weekday. No carb loading, no splurging. Today I fasted all day, had coffee (black) for breakfast, 8 ounces of water around 9 am, a diet coke at 2 pm, went for a 25 mile ride with no water and no food. Absolutely no problems, fast / typical weekday ride for me.
Conclusion, for this cyclist, and I emphasize this, 25 miles without food, or water and even on a days fast is completely doable with energy to burn. Average speed was 18.5.
Old 09-28-16, 06:05 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Yeah, I looked it up. It's what they used to call "ketosis". My mom did fad diets in the 1970s that did that to her. It was dangerous.

I'm OK being sugar adapted.
Not true. Being in ketosis would mean that your glycogen was gone because you had eaten almost no carbs for days, probably weeks. Carb adapted is not antithetical to being fat adapted. Everyone who's not eating LCHF and thus is in ketosis burns both, all the time. However if you can increase your ability to burn fat, you can increase your average watts on long rides.

10 years ago, Thomas Chapple wrote Base Building for Cyclists and basically proved that this worked in his coaching practice. Since then, base building has become even more scientific, but the principle is that you work on getting your fat burning going early in the year and then add intensity which stimulates the carb burning machinery. Some riders will do endurance blocks during the season to add some base back in when fat burning decreases from doing a lot of intensity. Armstrong was famous for going out on 6 hour rides in December with only water.

I went on a hard 2.5 hour ride today, 39 miles, 2200', and drank about 75 calories of sports drink. I'm not nuts about it, I just want to ride well. My performance didn't drop off: I had PRs on the last 2 hills.
Old 09-28-16, 06:11 PM
Bumnah

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use Tailwind in my water bottles. 2 scoops per bottle. I fill up both bottles before I leave and that's plenty for me for 25 miles.

I did an 80 mile ride a few weekends ago and here is how I fueled for it:

breakfast of 2 peanut butter and banana on wheat sandwiches
2 water bottles with 2 scoops of tailwind in each bottle
carried 4 scoops of tailwind for 2 water bottle refills
1 peanut butter and banana on wheat sandwich cut in half (i ate each half separately)
2 regular water bottle refills at the end without tailwind

Here's a link to the stuff: Tailwind Nutrition
Old 09-28-16, 08:01 PM
memebag

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Not true. Being in ketosis would mean that your glycogen was gone because you had eaten almost no carbs for days, probably weeks. Carb adapted is not antithetical to being fat adapted. Everyone who's not eating LCHF and thus is in ketosis burns both, all the time. However if you can increase your ability to burn fat, you can increase your average watts on long rides.

10 years ago, Thomas Chapple wrote Base Building for Cyclists and basically proved that this worked in his coaching practice. Since then, base building has become even more scientific, but the principle is that you work on getting your fat burning going early in the year and then add intensity which stimulates the carb burning machinery. Some riders will do endurance blocks during the season to add some base back in when fat burning decreases from doing a lot of intensity. Armstrong was famous for going out on 6 hour rides in December with only water.

I went on a hard 2.5 hour ride today, 39 miles, 2200', and drank about 75 calories of sports drink. I'm not nuts about it, I just want to ride well. My performance didn't drop off: I had PRs on the last 2 hills.
Being in ketosis means you have elevated levels of ketones in your blood. That's what all of the "fat adapted" diets I can find on the internet are about. It's the same thing my mom was doing in the 1970s. It can lead to ketoacidosis.
Old 09-28-16, 08:05 PM
Airtorn

Bikes: 2010 Cervelo P1, 2015 Felt F5

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
25 miles? I take a bottle of water and typically don't touch it on that short of a ride.
Old 09-28-16, 08:57 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Being in ketosis means you have elevated levels of ketones in your blood. That's what all of the "fat adapted" diets I can find on the internet are about. It's the same thing my mom was doing in the 1970s. It can lead to ketoacidosis.
That's not what I was referring to, FYI.

I am referring to doing what you can with your training to improve your body's ability to mobilize fat as a fuel source while exercising. The reason you'd do this is because you have enough stored fat to last way beyond your caloric needs for any normal cycling event (I'm not talking about super ultra events like RAAM). Whereas you have real limits in the amount of stored glycogen you have, it lasts just a few hours at intense levels of exercise.

If you're interested in reading more about it, here's a good link: Joe Friel - Becoming a Better Fat Burner

Cheers.
Old 09-28-16, 09:13 PM
memebag

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
That's not what I was referring to, FYI.

I am referring to doing what you can with your training to improve your body's ability to mobilize fat as a fuel source while exercising. The reason you'd do this is because you have enough stored fat to last way beyond your caloric needs for any normal cycling event (I'm not talking about super ultra events like RAAM). Whereas you have real limits in the amount of stored glycogen you have, it lasts just a few hours at intense levels of exercise.

If you're interested in reading more about it, here's a good link: Joe Friel - Becoming a Better Fat Burner

Cheers.
That's just another ketosis diet.
Old 09-28-16, 09:25 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Ketosis is a nutritional process characterised by serum concentrations of ketone bodies over 0.5 mM, with low and stable levels of insulin and blood glucose.[1][2] It is almost always generalized with hyperketonemia, that is, an elevated level of ketone bodies in the blood throughout the body. Ketone bodies are formed by ketogenesis when liver glycogen stores are depleted (or from metabolising medium-chain triglycerides[3]).
If the diet is changed from one that is high in carbohydrates to one that does not provide sufficient carbohydrate to replenish glycogen stores, the body goes through a set of stages to enter ketosis.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketosis

You only go into ketosis if you don't consume carbs. I haven't seen folks in this particular thread advocating that one should exhaust liver or muscle glycogen. Quite the contrary. If I do a real base ride and keep my effort below the first ventilation threshold (VT1), I will burn very little carbs, so I'll return with my liver and muscle glycogen almost intact. OTOH if I go out hard like I did today, that's not a "base ride." I burned a fair bit of glycogen and when I got back home, I consumed carbs to help replenish that glycogen enough so that I can work out again tomorrow. My average HR was 89% of my lactate threshold for a 2:22 ride. I could do that on 75 calories (which I didn't really need) because I've done a lot of base work and because I started out with good glycogen stores. I realize that I'm not a great example because I don't train as much or as consistently as many people here do.

It was a "thing" for a few years to try to shift the body toward increased fat burning by eating low carb. That was proven not to be of any performance benefit. However since Chappel, it's been proven that athletes can shift toward increased fat burning through fasted base training without altering their base diet, and that this does benefit performance.

It's not an "or" kind of thing. It's a "both" kind of thing. To ride strong, we need to be able to efficiently burn both fats and carbs.

There's a good discussion of fasted cardio training IMO, here: The Best Cardio Tips To Help You Burn Stubborn Fat!
I always drink a scoop of whey protein in water before I go out for any ride.
Old 09-28-16, 09:31 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

That's just another ketosis diet.
Did you actually read the blog post? Because it doesn't prescribe a "diet". It describes a method of training to alter the way in which you use energy while exercising.

You may continue to believe what you want of course. But to become ketotic (as measured by laboratory work, not by a lay persons guess that he/she is ketotic) takes very extreme carb restriction throughout the day as a lifestyle change. It's very hard to accomplish and requires much discipline with your diet.

I have been training this way for almost 2 years now & have had comprehensive bloodwork run annually. I'm not ketotic.

But again, no harm in your exercising with carbs, if that's what you prefer to do. Many people fuel quite successfully that way.
Old 09-28-16, 11:09 PM
memebag

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketosis

You only go into ketosis if you don't consume carbs. I haven't seen folks in this particular thread advocating that one should exhaust liver or muscle glycogen. Quite the contrary. If I do a real base ride and keep my effort below the first ventilation threshold (VT1), I will burn very little carbs, so I'll return with my liver and muscle glycogen almost intact. OTOH if I go out hard like I did today, that's not a "base ride." I burned a fair bit of glycogen and when I got back home, I consumed carbs to help replenish that glycogen enough so that I can work out again tomorrow. My average HR was 89% of my lactate threshold for a 2:22 ride. I could do that on 75 calories (which I didn't really need) because I've done a lot of base work and because I started out with good glycogen stores. I realize that I'm not a great example because I don't train as much or as consistently as many people here do.

It was a "thing" for a few years to try to shift the body toward increased fat burning by eating low carb. That was proven not to be of any performance benefit. However since Chappel, it's been proven that athletes can shift toward increased fat burning through fasted base training without altering their base diet, and that this does benefit performance.

It's not an "or" kind of thing. It's a "both" kind of thing. To ride strong, we need to be able to efficiently burn both fats and carbs.

There's a good discussion of fasted cardio training IMO, here: The Best Cardio Tips To Help You Burn Stubborn Fat!
I always drink a scoop of whey protein in water before I go out for any ride.
You can consume carbs and go into ketosis. All of this fat adapted stuff is about getting energy from ketones. To do that you have to increase ketones in the blood. You have to go into ketosis.

It's all the same stuff. If you dig it, just dig it.
Old 09-28-16, 11:18 PM
memebag

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Did you actually read the blog post? Because it doesn't prescribe a "diet". It describes a method of training to alter the way in which you use energy while exercising.

You may continue to believe what you want of course. But to become ketotic (as measured by laboratory work, not by a lay persons guess that he/she is ketotic) takes very extreme carb restriction throughout the day as a lifestyle change. It's very hard to accomplish and requires much discipline with your diet.

I have been training this way for almost 2 years now & have had comprehensive bloodwork run annually. I'm not ketotic.

But again, no harm in your exercising with carbs, if that's what you prefer to do. Many people fuel quite successfully that way.
Next to the last paragraph titled "Chronic diet" sounds like a diet. If you look through the research papers he's citing they are about ketognic diets.
Old 09-29-16, 03:09 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Next to the last paragraph titled "Chronic diet" sounds like a diet. If you look through the research papers he's citing they are about ketognic diets.
The blog article is not recommending a diet. It discusses methods of becoming fat-adapted, and that coach looks for a specific macronutrient composition to result in adequate muscle glycogen stores & better ability to mobilize fat as a fuel source.

None of the methods discussed restrict carbs to the extent that the patient would be living life in a state of ketosis.

A ketogenic diet is one in which carbs are restricted to very low levels (perhaps 10% of the diet mentioned in the blog post) in order to induce a permanent state of ketosis in which the body burns fat as fuel all the time, because it's carb-depleted.

Different type of diet vs what Friel mentions in his article.
Old 09-29-16, 05:30 AM
memebag

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
The blog article is not recommending a diet. It discusses methods of becoming fat-adapted, and that coach looks for a specific macronutrient composition to result in adequate muscle glycogen stores & better ability to mobilize fat as a fuel source.

None of the methods discussed restrict carbs to the extent that the patient would be living life in a state of ketosis.

A ketogenic diet is one in which carbs are restricted to very low levels (perhaps 10% of the diet mentioned in the blog post) in order to induce a permanent state of ketosis in which the body burns fat as fuel all the time, because it's carb-depleted.

Different type of diet vs what Friel mentions in his article.
Read the conclusion:

There are four options suggested here to improve your body’s capacity for using fat for fuel (changing genetics isn’t an option – yet). No one knows for sure, as I suspect this has never been studied, but I believe the most effective are your chronic diet and training.
You referenced a blog that references ketognic diet research. You are endorsing a guy who endorses ketosis.
Old 09-29-16, 06:08 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Read the conclusion:

You referenced a blog that references ketognic diet research. You are endorsing a guy who endorses ketosis.
Ok, I'm going to be out after this final comment, as you seem to be a willfully ignorant individual.

You do not become ketotic if you consume sufficient carbs. The diet Friel mentions contains plenty of carbs. It is very very difficult to consume so little carb in a typical American diet so as to maintain a ketotic state and the individuals that can actually accomplish this are few and far between.
Old 09-29-16, 08:05 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Read the conclusion:

And we're sorry about your parents. That must have been tough.

I have a good friend who nursed her mother as the woman slowly died of heart disease. Screwed up her diet for the rest of her life. One of my favorite sayings is that one way or the other, we are condemned to repeat the lives of our parents.

Last edited by Carbonfiberboy; 09-29-16 at 08:11 AM.
Old 09-29-16, 08:21 AM
memebag

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Ok, I'm going to be out after this final comment, as you seem to be a willfully ignorant individual.

You do not become ketotic if you consume sufficient carbs. The diet Friel mentions contains plenty of carbs. It is very very difficult to consume so little carb in a typical American diet so as to maintain a ketotic state and the individuals that can actually accomplish this are few and far between.
Willfully ignorant? I read some of the research Friel referenced in the "chronic diet" section. It's about ketogenic diets.

And we're sorry about your parents. That must have been tough.

I have a good friend who nursed her mother as the woman slowly died of heart disease. Screwed up her diet for the rest of her life. One of my favorite sayings is that one way or the other, we are condemned to repeat the lives of our parents.
My parents? Huh? My mom followed a bunch of fad diets, including one that was supposed to put her into ketosis. I haven't followed any fad diets.
Old 09-29-16, 07:09 PM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Willfully ignorant? I read some of the research Friel referenced in the "chronic diet" section. It's about ketogenic diets.

My parents? Huh? My mom followed a bunch of fad diets, including one that was supposed to put her into ketosis. I haven't followed any fad diets.
You're a aren't you. I thought so.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.