Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

who has the right of way?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

who has the right of way?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-16, 10:56 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
Sure, I think I get you and agree. I used a word that doesn't apply. I'm not a bad cyclist. Maybe I'm just a bad writer.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-07-16, 11:55 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
Interesting. AFAIK, here, the lines cutting through the "intersection" explicitly denote a dominant arterial which doesn't need to yield.
If your laws differ, I have no argument there.

For Europe - if there is a road, you needn't look where it leads to (a parking lot, or a motorway), you needn't look if it's wider than the road you're on, you just need to look whether it has a yield/stop sign, or not. If it doesn't, the law requires you to give right of way to the vehicle on your right.

Parking lots, roundabouts etc. have yield signs, if not - it's the right hand rule.
Old 12-08-16, 02:52 PM
chephy
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Slaninar
For Europe - if there is a road, you needn't look where it leads to (a parking lot, or a motorway), you needn't look if it's wider than the road you're on, you just need to look whether it has a yield/stop sign, or not. If it doesn't, the law requires you to give right of way to the vehicle on your right.
How can you tell? Signs tend to be positioned so they're visible to the driver on the road to which they apply, not to drivers on crossing roads. Their placement, at least in North America, is not standardized.

In North America, in my experience, most roads have some sort of signage. So if the street I am on has no stop sign, I assume the crossing street does. I don't go out of my way looking for it.
Old 12-08-16, 03:25 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Originally Posted by chephy
How can you tell? Signs tend to be positioned so they're visible to the driver on the road to which they apply, not to drivers on crossing roads.
That is exactly why stop and give-way signs have unique shape - so they can be identified even by the driver on the main road. Stop sign has hexagonal shape, while yield sign has a reversed triangle shape. No other traffic signs are shaped that way.

In practice, sometimes, drivers on the main road have also a sign giving them right of way, but not always. Our law states that in situations where (this is a bit tongue in cheek) lower speed and caution from drivers on the main road is required, a sign giving them right of way is deliberately omitted, forcing them to slow down and check the signs on the road they are crossing.

Originally Posted by chephy
Their placement, at least in North America, is not standardized.

In North America, in my experience, most roads have some sort of signage. So if the street I am on has no stop sign, I assume the crossing street does. I don't go out of my way looking for it.
I don't know about laws in the USA, but in Europe, if you don't have a right of way sign, you need to check the street you are crossing. If it doesn't have a stop/yield sign, you need to give the vehicles on your right the right of way.
Old 12-08-16, 03:42 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Hope it was Not the Dead guy who thought they had the right of way right to the end..
Old 12-09-16, 08:59 AM
Sullalto

Bikes: Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg
In WA this is correct UNLESS one of the roads is classified as an arterial. (which is something you just have to know, there are no signs for that). Arterials have the right of way.

It's not clear to me if both the roads in this T are even roads at all (vs lanes in a parking lot).
A Clallam County Sheriff says A gets right of way.

edit: But I despise how virtually no neighborhood intersections have a stop or yield sign out here.

Originally Posted by Slaninar
If your laws differ, I have no argument there.

Parking lots, roundabouts etc. have yield signs, if not - it's the right hand rule.
Not in any of the nordic countries. A has right of way.
Old 12-09-16, 11:21 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Originally Posted by Sullalto

edit: But I despise how virtually no neighborhood intersections have a stop or yield sign out here.

Not convinced about the nordic countries, but won't bother looking up their laws and reading them. As for Hungary, Germany, Italy, Croatia - all (have to) bother with signs. Being on a bigger road doesn't give one right of way there without a sign.
Old 12-10-16, 12:04 AM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Sullalto

Not according to the Wiki page on 'Driving in Norway' (if you think other countries differ please provide docs.):
  • Traffic from right hand has right of way (unless signs or lights). You must yield to traffic from any road to your right, except from separate areas such as parking lots, market square, pedestrian zone, and petrol stations.
  • Traffic on roads with the standard "Yellow Diamond" sign has the right of way. This is widely used for main roads. Traffic from connecting roads will then see the give-way (yield) or stop sign.
These are the same rules as I remember from Germany, i.e. car 'B' would have the right-of-way in the absence of any signs.
https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Driving_in_Norway

But California vehicle codes agree with the Clallam sheriff.

Last edited by prathmann; 12-10-16 at 12:07 AM.