Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How Often Do You Purchase/Replace Your Bikes?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How Often Do You Purchase/Replace Your Bikes?

Old 03-26-17, 06:55 PM
Nikon Fan

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I have purchased 3 in the past 4 years; MTB, Hybrid and a Gravel Bike. Prior to that I had only one bike I rarely used for several years; a cruiser.

My reasons for the purchases:

- Cruiser was purchased out of nostalgia. Had one as a kid, thought it would be nice as an adult. I didn't like how it rode, so it remained unused in the garage for a few years (still there).

- MTB was purchased after doing little or no research. Job was mandating a training on that type of bike, so I purchased it to practice prior to training. Training got cancelled, I got stuck with my MTB. Also a garage filler at this time, although I do ride it once every 3 months or so.

- Hybrid was purchased because I wanted to "get serious" about health improvement. I liked the way it rode except for the upright position against wind. Still use it at least once per week.

- Gravel bike was purchased for "serious, daily, longer distance riding". I needed a faster bike that could support my weight, preferably one with a more "road bike-like" design. Just got it a few weeks ago, so I still don't have a solid opinion on it. Still tweaking the overall fit every ride I take. Ironically, it's not as fast as my hybrid yet weighs less. Might take me longer than I expected to get used to.

Hopefully if I lose 40 pounds I'll look into getting a road bike. My ultimate goal is to ride a century.
Old 03-26-17, 10:14 PM
devianb

Bikes: 2008 Dawes Haymaker 20XX Leader LD515 TotoCycling Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
About every 7 years. I generally add to bike stable than replace unless it was stolen or catastrophically damaged.
Old 03-26-17, 10:36 PM
Airtorn

Bikes: 2010 Cervelo P1, 2015 Felt F5

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I went 14-15 years between roadbike purchases. I expect to go a decade or more before I pick up another one.
Old 03-27-17, 05:43 AM
decentdrummer91

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I purchase a new bike based on my needs of what I need the bike for, but generally every couple years or so. Once I feel I have gotten good enough on the bike, and am ready to advance to the next level of quality. I went from a vintage trek 1200 road bike, aluminum frame weighing about 30 pounds, to a Fuji Sportif 2.5 ($500 road bike, nothing special), because I wanted the updated shifting style. Then I went to a carbon triathlon bike, and now I have a Specialized Tarmac, weighing in at only 18 pounds. I like to change my mind a lot, I think I'm ready to go back to a triathlon bike. I would like to keep my tarmac AND get a nice tri bike, but I'm afraid that I will like one more than the other, and the 2nd one will just get neglected and collect dust xD
Old 03-27-17, 06:13 PM
ADAP7IVE

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Blue "mamachari" 3-speed, Kona Explosif

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by decentdrummer91
I purchase a new bike based on my needs of what I need the bike for, but generally every couple years or so. Once I feel I have gotten good enough on the bike, and am ready to advance to the next level of quality. I went from a vintage trek 1200 road bike, aluminum frame weighing about 30 pounds, to a Fuji Sportif 2.5 ($500 road bike, nothing special), because I wanted the updated shifting style. Then I went to a carbon triathlon bike, and now I have a Specialized Tarmac, weighing in at only 18 pounds. I like to change my mind a lot, I think I'm ready to go back to a triathlon bike. I would like to keep my tarmac AND get a nice tri bike, but I'm afraid that I will like one more than the other, and the 2nd one will just get neglected and collect dust xD
I'm facing a similar problem--My first "real" bike was a Surly Disc Trucker back in 2012 (basic model, about $1500 with racks and basic gear). Commuted on it for a year then left the country, and now it's sitting in storage Stateside. I've been in Japan and rode several bikes--a 25-year-old Diamondback mountain bike that was just about falling apart, a "mamachari" ("mama bike," a steel 1-3 speed step-through design with basket and rear-rack--almost everyone in Japan has or has had one), and most recently my Bianchi endurance bike which doesn't quite fit. Now I'll only be in Japan another year before returning to the US, but I am tired of riding just-adequate bikes and trying to decide whether to a) buy a Brompton (perfect for Japan, but not necessarily in the US), b) upgrade the Surly to be more the way I want, or c) keep or sell the Surly as-is and buy "the one" bike with what I know now about my riding preferences. I don't want a huge stable of bikes, I just want one or two well-fitting and fit-for-purpose bikes.
Old 03-28-17, 07:01 AM
Jackmen

Bikes: 2014 Giant defy advanced 0 with DI-2, 2013 Blue Triad TT Bike, 2015 Fuji Altamira CX 1.3 Gravel Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually purchase a different bike every 1-3 years. I presently own 4 bikes for 4 different purposes. 1) Road Bike 2014 Giant Defy advanced 0; 2)Gravel bike Fuji Altamira CX 1.3; 3)Time trial 2013 Bike Blue Triad SL, 4) Mountain Bike Motobecane 29er.

I am a bargain shopper that loves the latest technology in bikes , so I usually find these used or new old stock that is available for a bargain price (relatively). I target new old stock bikes for a price of 40-50% of MSRP. If I buy used I target 25-30% of MSRP for a maximum of 1-2 years old. Sometimes I buy new but if I do its usually a discounted brand like my Bikes Direct mountain bike.

I will have to say I met my goal in all of the bikes I have bought over the last 5-7 years. I usually keep bikes 2-4 years and ride them, then sell them on ebay or Craigs list. Because of the way I buy them, I usually sell them for 80% of what I paid for them. This way my habit doesn't cost me too much. I am an engineer, So I do enjoy the latest technology in bikes and keeping up with the latest trends. I enjoy riding nicer bikes also.

With this method I am on newer cutting edge bikes and the cost is manageable. I do all my own maintenance, and will also buy parts and pieces to upgrade something if it needs it. This allows me to be very flexible to purchase as I can change out wheels, drive trains or whatever to get what I want at a reasonable price.
Old 03-28-17, 11:51 AM
Tombaatar

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Sequoia, 99 Gary Fisher Aquila, 88 Diamondback Apex, 89 Trek 400, 85 Specialized Rock Hopper, 86 Peugeot Triathlon

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Old 03-29-17, 05:40 AM
highrpm

Bikes: Huffy Sienna Cruiser

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I kept my last bike for more than 20 years but I wasn't really into cycling as much as I am now.

I bought my Trek in 2015 and already have the itch to get something a little nicer and carbon. When I was into motorcycles I usually swapped out bikes every 5 years, and I can see myself doing that with bicycles as well.
Old 03-29-17, 06:34 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 413 Posts
Seems that a fair amount of cyclists enjoy the continued use of their old bikes. This thread reminds me of an old STP Oil Treatment commercial where the actor would say "I love new things...especially when they get old."

Dan
Old 03-29-17, 06:18 PM
ADAP7IVE

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Blue "mamachari" 3-speed, Kona Explosif

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by highrpm
I kept my last bike for more than 20 years but I wasn't really into cycling as much as I am now.

I bought my Trek in 2015 and already have the itch to get something a little nicer and carbon. When I was into motorcycles I usually swapped out bikes every 5 years, and I can see myself doing that with bicycles as well.
That reminds me of my calculations when I budgeted for my next build. I realized that for less than what I spent on an economy car, I could buy and maintain a brand new $7000 bike every five years.

Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Seems that a fair amount of cyclists enjoy the continued use of their old bikes. This thread reminds me of an old STP Oil Treatment commercial where the actor would say "I love new things...especially when they get old."

Dan
Sounds like it. It gives me hope that my budget was sufficiently conservative and my savings will be even greater.
Old 03-29-17, 07:30 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
And exactly what 'performance gains' would I realize between my '25-pound C&V bike' and a new-fangled CF bike when I weigh 60 pounds more than I should??? Maybe if I was within the top few percent of riders would it matter.

The fact that I am NOT, should be that I'm getting a 'better workout''...

Yeah.... That's my theory, and I'm sticking to it!

LOL!!!

Old 04-03-17, 10:26 AM
TexMac

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ADAP7IVE
While retooling my own budget for transport and for-play bikes, I was working out figures to budget for replacements every xx years (if needed) and I thought of a question to pose to the community:

How often do you purchase a new bike, or replace one in your stable? I realize this is a broad question, so feel free to break it down if it's easier. For purposes of this question, let's also include major refits. I want to know what kind of turnover you have, and what your needs/habits are with the bikes. I'll go first:

in 2012 I built a Surly Disc Trucker for $1500, rode it as a commuter for a year, then left the country; it's waiting for me with lots of miles left in it. I don't see replacing or refitting it --soon--, but eventually it'll happen.

Bought a used Bianchi endurance bike for $750 a few months ago, and I'll have commuted on that for a year when I move and replace that with a bike that fits.
well, i used to change every 6 to 8 months and I don't have a problem selling my frames and getting another frame while keeping the specs. I've made money and lost some. Longest kept bike is a 2014 giant propel frame, plan ot build it for crits this season. I had cervelo S3 which i loved and thought i would keep it forever then i cracked the frame in a race last month. I ended up getting another bike that i hope i'll keep for atleast 5 years. . I commute so i like something practical. I've had my CX for 8 months and think i might keep if for a long time, it's aluminium and has 35cc tyres.
Old 04-03-17, 10:29 AM
TexMac

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by decentdrummer91
LOL.. good problems. I had my BMC tm01 for a month and realized it's hard to commute on it and sold it for $500 profit and got an f8
Old 04-03-17, 12:52 PM
DesmoDog

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
I ordered a new bike yesterday. After that I figured out I bought my last one in 1988, so 29 years or so for me.

Motorcycles are an entirely different story however...
Old 04-03-17, 08:37 PM
OutdoorsBen

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Crosstrail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 34 and i've owned 4 bikes in my life. I've customized and built up each of them. I find that more fun/rewarding then just buying a new bike.
Old 04-04-17, 06:50 AM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
I don't "replace" any bikes. I keep adding to my collection. It's nice to have backup in case something major happens to my main road or mountain bike. The closest LBS to me is 1-1/2 hour drive... so when I do go to the shop I have to make it count.
Old 04-05-17, 06:58 AM
Annevdboogaert

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
every 5-10 years
Old 04-06-17, 08:38 PM
jogya03
half way commuter

Bikes: few folders, road bike, and MTB