Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Di2 battery finally down to 50%

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-17, 06:23 PM
MikeOK
Yo

Bikes: 2003 Yeti AS-R, 2018 Waltly ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Ive had my bike with di2 for 5 months. I ride 60 miles/week. It finally got down to 50% today. I could probably go another 3 months on it but I went ahead and put it on the charger mostly because I’ve never done it. So you di2 naysayers take note.
Old 10-30-17, 08:22 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
I typically charge 1-2X a season.
5 Di2 bikes. Of course some only one time.
Old 10-30-17, 08:25 PM
wthensler 

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2012 Giant Defy 0, 2012 Trek Domane 6.2 P1, Bianchi Infinito CV disc Di2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 250 Posts
Yeah, they last a while with a single charge. Both of mine are 5 years old, and I've only been caught short once. I simply forgot to charge it. But if you ride more and in hills (more shifting), it will require more charging.
Old 10-30-17, 09:05 PM
MikeOK
Yo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a question for you guys. Does the yellow light go out when it’s fully charged? And what is the other light for, the one with a battery symbol and an exclamation sign? My light went out in a little over an hour, was surprised it charged that quick.
Old 10-30-17, 09:13 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeOK
I have a question for you guys. Does the yellow light go out when it’s fully charged? And what is the other light for, the one with a battery symbol and an exclamation sign? My light went out in a little over an hour, was surprised it charged that quick.
It's done.
Old 10-30-17, 09:32 PM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
Those lights are charge indicators?!

I thought they told you when you needed a new bike.
Old 10-30-17, 10:02 PM
MikeOK
Yo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by brianmcg123
Those lights are charge indicators?!

I thought they told you when you needed a new bike.
I wonder if my wife would buy that story
Old 10-31-17, 09:12 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I only get about 600 miles to a charge. That's with the new battery that you need for synchro shifting, etc.
Old 11-01-17, 12:08 PM
FeltF2Tarmac
Woman make me faster

Bikes: 2014 Felt F2 Di2 2018 Tarmac Comp Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Charge mine twice a year if it needs it or not. I was told the D Fly would drain battery quicker but that has not been my experience. That synchro shifting doesn’t interest me and hearing about the battery life solidified that for me.
Old 11-01-17, 02:40 PM
pesty
Master Sarcaster

Bikes: 2018 Allez Sprint, 2016 Trek Crockett Canti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeOK
Ive had my bike with di2 for 5 months. I ride 60 miles/week. It finally got down to 50% today. I could probably go another 3 months on it but I went ahead and put it on the charger mostly because I’ve never done it. So you di2 naysayers take note.
You say that... right up to the point that you run it dead 10-15 miles from home and have to ride back single speed and you were going up hill in 36/17 when it died. This has happened to me exactly once.

I now charge mine once every month or two. My lights/cameras/PM get charged daily, so I setup a charging station in my garage where I store my bike. Makes it relatively easy.
Old 11-01-17, 06:01 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by FeltF2Tarmac
Charge mine twice a year if it needs it or not. I was told the D Fly would drain battery quicker but that has not been my experience. That synchro shifting doesn’t interest me and hearing about the battery life solidified that for me.
I don't know the capacities on the two batteries, but I live in a very hilly place and shift a lot as a result. According to my Garmin, I make 200 - 300 rear shifts per hour of riding. (Multi-shifts count as several, shifting in the front gets you two rear shifts with it.) So it's probably not that the new battery is awful. At least don't take my experience as the norm.

I'm shocked how much life everyone else gets out of theirs.
Old 11-01-17, 06:20 PM
FeltF2Tarmac
Woman make me faster

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I don't know the capacities on the two batteries, but I live in a very hilly place and shift a lot as a result. According to my Garmin, I make 200 - 300 rear shifts per hour of riding. (Multi-shifts count as several, shifting in the front gets you two rear shifts with it.) So it's probably not that the new battery is awful. At least don't take my experience as the norm.

Very hilly here in lynnwood as well, just a short drive from Seattle. I know I shift quite a bit but it’s more like three or four times that mileage. I suspect the greater use of the front derailler with the rear is the culprit. I’m stubborn and if I had not got the incredible deal I did, charging my bike wouldn’t cross my mind because I was a nay sayer on Di2 until I tried it. Not sure how many times I shift an hour but I will estimate it’s not 300 maybe 200 is accurate. I know your into those scenic mountain rides so that may have something to do with it.
Old 11-02-17, 04:27 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
I only get about 600 miles to a charge. That's with the new battery that you need for synchro shifting, etc.

SF, I think you must lean your bike against a shift button when you put it away. I live in a mountainous area, too, and I get between 2,500 and 3,500 miles on a "half" charge. (I plug it in whenever I start to get the half charge indicator.) The generation of battery doesn't seem to impact this much.
Old 11-02-17, 08:48 AM
Seattle Forrest

Sounds like maybe something is wrong with mine then. It can't be the wireless transmitter thing, can it? (That's how I know how often I shift, my Garmin counts for me.)
Old 11-02-17, 10:07 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Sounds like maybe something is wrong with mine then. It can't be the wireless transmitter thing, can it? (That's how I know how often I shift, my Garmin counts for me.)
On the first charge mine lasted 800 miles before it was at zero and the FD failed.

This was unexpected and not consistent with what others were saying at the time and are saying in this thread re discharge time. It had me similarly concerned and as suggested I thought I might have leaned the bike with the shift button depressed or that the FD was somehow actuating all the time.

Having been fully discharged and now on the second charge it has gone 400+ miles and is still >75%, solid green on the indicator. I believe that the Shimano batteries discharge quicker when new. At least that's what it seems like.

Given my experience I'd ask how many times you have charged and whether you have let it completely discharge (or get very low) prior to charging at least once? Might be worth trying.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 11-02-17 at 10:13 AM.
Old 11-02-17, 11:06 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
On the first charge mine lasted 800 miles before it was at zero and the FD failed.

This was unexpected and not consistent with what others were saying at the time and are saying in this thread re discharge time. It had me similarly concerned and as suggested I thought I might have leaned the bike with the shift button depressed or that the FD was somehow actuating all the time.

Having been fully discharged and now on the second charge it has gone 400+ miles and is still >75%, solid green on the indicator.
I believe that the Shimano batteries discharge quicker when new. At least that's what it seems like.

Given my experience I'd ask how many times you have charged and whether you have let it completely discharge (or get very low) prior to charging at least once? Might be worth trying.

-Tim-
No. Just the opposite.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 11-02-17, 11:54 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts

I'm not sure about the impact the wireless transmitter might be having. I didn't like Synchro Shift, so I didn't leave my transmitter on the bike very long. It obviously uses SOME electricity -- I'm just not sure how much.
Old 11-02-17, 12:36 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
No. Just the opposite.
I'd like to see forrest drain his and then charge from empty to see what his experience is.
Old 11-02-17, 01:12 PM
FeltF2Tarmac
Woman make me faster

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
If you are referring too the D-Fly it had very little effect on mine discharge wise. Not completely clear on how Synchro Shift works but i don’t have it and from what I have read that’s the only variable in our setup.
Old 11-02-17, 02:39 PM
Slick Madone

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I had mine fully charged 3 few weeks ago and the FD died today when I just started a ride. Charging it up see if that alone was the culprit.
Old 11-02-17, 03:45 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
I dipped mine in hot wax. Now it lasts 3000 miles.
Old 11-02-17, 03:55 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts

I also ride in a hilly area and make about that many shifts - which I found surprising. I had no idea I shifted that much. Your experience parallels mine. When I went to the new battery, I now get about 600 miles instead of around 1000. The reason I went to the new battery was to be able to fiddle with all the Di2 parameters with the e-tube software.

I just set up a bike with an e-tap retrofit. I have to say, that's a really nice set up and I almost prefer it over the Shimano Di2 stuff.

J.
Old 11-02-17, 05:55 PM
matt92037

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
My mileage dropped significantly when I switched to the new battery. My battery had very short life and serious issues taking a charge when I plugged the Shimano charger into a usb wall plug adapter from one of my tablets.

I had read somewhere using usb/wall plug adapters is problematic. Once I started plugging the charger back into my MacBook to charge I have not had any issues.
Old 11-02-17, 06:08 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by JohnJ80
I also ride in a hilly area and make about that many shifts - which I found surprising. I had no idea I shifted that much. Your experience parallels mine. When I went to the new battery, I now get about 600 miles instead of around 1000. The reason I went to the new battery was to be able to fiddle with all the Di2 parameters with the e-tube software.

I just set up a bike with an e-tap retrofit. I have to say, that's a really nice set up and I almost prefer it over the Shimano Di2 stuff.

J.
Me too! It sounds crazy.

Thanks for sharing your experience, I guess that pretty much confirms it's the new battery after all.
Old 11-02-17, 06:13 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by TimothyH
I'd like to see forrest drain his and then charge from empty to see what his experience is.
The bike came with the older battery, but I had it changed before I took it home. It was pretty easy for the first charge because I took it home, filled it up, and the battery was close to the end with a little under 600 miles on the odometer. (It was around 20 %, I didn't want to get stranded in one gear out on the road.) I've topped it off a couple times since when it's gotten low-ish, but I haevn't let it go completely empty, or get close.

I'd be happy to do it for science. I'm pretty convinced by what John had to say, but, still, let's find out.

I don't think synchronized shifting has that much to do with it, I don't shift in the front nearly as often, and it shouldn't be draining the battery when I'm not using it. But who knows. (I might turn that off, I have a love/hate relationship with it.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.