Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

PRO Missile Evo - very newbie's questions

Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-18, 05:51 PM
bartek. 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi guys,

I am in need of new aero bars and finally decided to go with the PRO Missile Evo (I was thinking about 3T Revo or Vola too but IMHO Revo is not very kilo and basically I can have a nice deal for the PRO).

My problem is that I have totally no experience with the aero bars with spacers kit. I checked a service manual (found for the previous black/white version but I guess it's the same) and I have few questions before purchasing.

As I want to use the ski-bend extensions it would be cheaper to buy all parts separately as complete set is being sold with J-bend.

Please confirm if my understanding is correct.
I need to buy:
- base bar
- extensions
- spacer kit
- armrests and armpads

Is this everything that is essential to get the aero bars or I'm missing something?

Also few questions about details:

- there are PRO Missile Synop Armrest Carbon and PRO Missile Evo Armrest and Armpads Set. I guess both are compatible but probably the Missile Evo Armrest would be better?

- what about sizing of the armrests/armpads? There are L and XL. Any hints how to choose it? I would say that I should go with the L as there is a lot of bigger guys than me so they still need something larger but maybe I am wrong here?

- end caps for extensions are included with the extensions?

- when the riser/bridge is required to be used? is there any recommendation about maximum stack height without it?

- on the picture of the spacer kit (https://1554652485.rsc.cdn77.org/i/p...45459_00_d.jpg) there is more spacers/adaptors than listed in the instruction manual. I cannot recognise what is what on the picture. could someone say how many of each piece is included in the kit please? can't find the listing anywhere

- any recommendations for garmin mount? found only 2: RaceWareDirect and REC-MOUNTS. Any experience with them or others?

Thanks in advance,
Bartek

EDIT: And what is a purpose for this: wiggle.com | Pro Aerobar Connecting Bridge | Aero Bars ??

Last edited by bartek.; 02-26-18 at 06:30 PM.
Old 02-26-18, 06:33 PM
Godsight

Bikes: Felt TK FRD

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is the exact list of stuff that you need to buy:
PRAB0043 Missile Evo Carbon Base Bar
PRAB0046 Missile Evo Ski-Bend Extension, for the extension plug, any handlebar plug will work since extension and the end of drop handlebar are both at 22.2mm diameter
PRAB0048 Missile Evo Armrest large carbon black, unless you have massive forearms I would stick the large armrest and not bother with the x-large armrest

The tricky part is the spacer set. The bridge is used to stiffen up the extensions so they dont flex inward or outward during big efforts with 30mm or plus of extension stack height. The missile Evo bar also allow for 2 extensions width so you need a seperate bridge depending on the width. The base bar also include the minimum spacers required for directly on top or under the bar setup for the extension. The spacer kits should include atleast 4x 5mm spacer 2x 10mm spacer and 2x 20mm spacer. So unless you know extacly the extension setup already, it's difficult to tell you precisely which of the 3 kits you need if you need one.

For the garmin mounts of aerobar extension you have more choice than other gps. Barfly, K-Edge and many more make extension mount for garmin gps.
Old 02-26-18, 06:53 PM
bartek. 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the very precious comment!

Originally Posted by Godsight
Here is the exact list of stuff that you need to buy:
PRAB0043 Missile Evo Carbon Base Bar
PRAB0046 Missile Evo Ski-Bend Extension, for the extension plug, any handlebar plug will work since extension and the end of drop handlebar are both at 22.2mm diameter
PRAB0048 Missile Evo Armrest large carbon black, unless you have massive forearms I would stick the large armrest and not bother with the x-large armrest

The tricky part is the spacer set. The bridge is used to stiffen up the extensions so they dont flex inward or outward during big efforts with 30mm or plus of extension stack height. The missile Evo bar also allow for 2 extensions width so you need a seperate bridge depending on the width. The base bar also include the minimum spacers required for directly on top or under the bar setup for the extension. The spacer kits should include atleast 4x 5mm spacer 2x 10mm spacer and 2x 20mm spacer. So unless you know extacly the extension setup already, it's difficult to tell you precisely which of the 3 kits you need if you need one.
Yes, I don't know how many spacers I would need, however I definitely want to drop the base bar and keep extensions higher. I asked about the spacer kit (PRAB0023 in fact) as how in other way I would assembled it all together? PRO says that the base bar is shipped with 4 spacer adapters "for under bar and top bar mount". Not sure about which spacers they talk about as the installation manual says about 4 adapters for extensions, 2 adapters for base bar and 2 adapters for armrests, right? So it's 8 in total without extra spacers. Ah, what about the "thread part" that goes inside the extensions? This is also not included I guess with extensions? This is why I thought the spacer kit is rather mandatory. I'm confused now Sure, if base bar includes all the adapters, then I could go simply with one of the kits with bridge or extra spacers.

I am also pretty sure that the end of the extensions is oval from the rider point of view. This is also why the oval plugs are included in the kit. I don't think the normal end caps would fit there.

Regarding the size of the armrest, I would go with the Large without asking, just for the XL I could save about $80 as I can get it cheaper, this is why I asked ;-)

Originally Posted by Godsight
For the garmin mounts of aerobar extension you have more choice than other gps. Barfly, K-Edge and many more make extension mount for garmin gps.
Unfortunately, this is not that easy. PRO does oval extensions. K-Edge, Barfly and many other manufactures don't sell this option

Last edited by bartek.; 02-26-18 at 06:58 PM.