Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Disc brakes or Di2?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Disc brakes or Di2?

Old 04-03-18, 02:54 AM
Psychocycles

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Personally I'd go with disc regardless of your weather riding habits, as in, even with only dry weather riding I'd prefer disc. My reason why is because carbon wheels are expensive and it's nice to know that you're not wearing out your nice carbon wheels every time you go for a ride....
Old 04-03-18, 08:11 AM
generalkdi

Bikes: Argon18 Gallium 2016, Trek Emonda SL6 Pro 2018, Salsa Beargrease

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Discs, better braking in all conditions, more expensive carbon wheels lifetime.
Old 04-03-18, 10:29 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 343 Posts
Originally Posted by mohamilton
Im riding in Ohio, but in Cincinnati so we have a lot of short steep climbs. We get a lot of rain/humidity too.
I'm in SW Ohio, and ride a lot of hills. Rim brakes have never been a problem, even when I was caught in heavy rain showers. I suppose disk brakes would be nice for carbon wheels, though.

I'm another rider that will never go back to mechanical shifting on my road bike. The precise, instant shifts with just a click are great on fast-for-me group rides. And really nice on rolling hills -- it's easy to shift the front on each climb, even for a short hill, then shift it again on the next downhill. (Mechanical is okay on my slower paced gravel / all day / adventure bike.)

Last edited by rm -rf; 04-03-18 at 10:33 AM.
Old 04-03-18, 10:34 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Di2 is a more expensive upgrade, right? If so, go with Di2 and add discs later.
Old 04-03-18, 10:40 AM
mohamilton

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
If I went Di2 first I wouldn't be able to add disc brakes later on. If I go disc I can upgrade to Di2, both frames from what I can tell would work with Di2.

Also this seems to be one of the cheaper bikes that comes with Di2. The cheapest Di2 + disc is maybe the Canyon Ultimate? Not that i'm really looking at other bikes but just an observation from what Ive seen.
Old 04-03-18, 10:55 AM
ItsMeDave

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just replaced a Canondale SuperSix EVO (Di2) with a Giant Defy (Di2 & hydro discs).
It's only been a week, and I'm primarily a fair weather cyclist, but the only impact the disc brakes have had on my life is the ability to run wider tires.

I'm happy to have both, but I'd choose Di2 over disc brakes.
Old 04-03-18, 11:06 AM
Seattle Forrest

If I went Di2 first I wouldn't be able to add disc brakes later on. If I go disc I can upgrade to Di2, both frames from what I can tell would work with Di2.

Also this seems to be one of the cheaper bikes that comes with Di2. The cheapest Di2 + disc is maybe the Canyon Ultimate? Not that i'm really looking at other bikes but just an observation from what Ive seen.
Performance has a GT Grade with Force 22 and hydro brakes for $1,750. I had one, it wasn't a bad bike, I was not impressed with the shifting, especially in the front. The brifters are the size of my car. That's the least expensive hydro brake bike I know of, and the frame isn't Di2 compatible.

Most threads in here are "I don't need or want disc brakes blah blah blah" so this is interesting.

I'm using hydraulic discs and Di2 and love them both. Shimano's hydraulic electronic brifters are normal sized, not all bulbous.

Even in the dry, they work really well and give me more control over how much braking power I'm applying than rim brakes did.

I wanted fancy carbon hoops for a long time and refused to spend on them when I knew I'd wear them down as a braking surface. Finally got my nice wheels because I can replace the rotors and use everything else forever.
Old 04-03-18, 11:57 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 180 Posts
I wish I could do both!

Im not *planning* on riding in the rain or bad weather, but disc brakes still feel awesome. I like to do a bit of hill climbing and descending. I also want to get some nice plastic wheels so disc would be preferred and disc wheels look better too IMO.

Is later upgrading to Di2 strait forward?
I would just need- Levers, FD, RD, & electronic jargon?

Thats my fear with not going disc like you guys mentioned - I can always add di2 to a disc frame later on.
I'd go Di2 in a heartbeat over discs especially since you are not going to spend a lot of time in the rain or wet. I love electronic shifting and would now, never go back.

I have both a Di2 bike and an eTap bike. I converted a mechanical bike over to electronic shifting where eTap lends itself much better to conversations (no wires) but would have preferred Di2 before the conversion. After using both, I'd probably go eTap over Di2 now. It's super clean and dead simple to both set up and use.

You can take go to disc brakes later using the electronic group you have. All you need to do is use cable actuated brakes and not hydraulic brakes and the levers should be compatible. TRP makes a break that is the best of both - it's cable actuated but it has a hydro master cylinder built in so that it modulates like a hydro brake but uses cables and cable shifters like rim brakes. Also Paul's components makes a great disc brake that is cable actuated. Either of those would be my choice since the main reason for me is to move away from canti's/v-brakes on a bike on which I can have a wider range of tire widths than a pure road bike. For pure road bike, for me, it's rim brakes all the way.

But the point is that you don't really need to choose between disc brakes/electronic shifting. You can actually get both in the same system and have a decent upgrade path (although it probably requires a frame change).

J.
Old 04-03-18, 12:16 PM
mohamilton

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
I'd go Di2 in a heartbeat over discs especially since you are not going to spend a lot of time in the rain or wet. I love electronic shifting and would now, never go back.

I have both a Di2 bike and an eTap bike. I converted a mechanical bike over to electronic shifting where eTap lends itself much better to conversations (no wires) but would have preferred Di2 before the conversion. After using both, I'd probably go eTap over Di2 now. It's super clean and dead simple to both set up and use.

You can take go to disc brakes later using the electronic group you have. All you need to do is use cable actuated brakes and not hydraulic brakes and the levers should be compatible. TRP makes a break that is the best of both - it's cable actuated but it has a hydro master cylinder built in so that it modulates like a hydro brake but uses cables and cable shifters like rim brakes. Also Paul's components makes a great disc brake that is cable actuated. Either of those would be my choice since the main reason for me is to move away from canti's/v-brakes on a bike on which I can have a wider range of tire widths than a pure road bike. For pure road bike, for me, it's rim brakes all the way.

But the point is that you don't really need to choose between disc brakes/electronic shifting. You can actually get both in the same system and have a decent upgrade path (although it probably requires a frame change).

J.

I like the idea of having both disc and Di2 on the Fuji frame for awhile and having that as my 'nice' bike - probably wouldn't upgrade for a long while. This may be one of the only chances i get to run disc and di2 ultegra for really cheap if I upgraded the Disc frame to Di2.

If I dont upgrade the disc build to di2 I would just get the rim brake Di2 option - the electronic motors sounds so cool!
Old 04-03-18, 12:25 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 180 Posts
I like the idea of having both disc and Di2 on the Fuji frame for awhile and having that as my 'nice' bike - probably wouldn't upgrade for a long while. This may be one of the only chances i get to run disc and di2 ultegra for really cheap if I upgraded the Disc frame to Di2.

If I dont upgrade the disc build to di2 I would just get the rim brake Di2 option - the electronic motors sounds so cool!
Sure. The OP original question was asking the either/or version. In that case, I'd pick the electronic shifting over the disc brake version.

If the either/or choice is off the table, then go for the disk version of electronic shifting (pick whichever brand you like - both good).

It's tough right now - at least for me - to decide on bike frames with disc or rim brakes. I'd like to see the cost penalty for a light weight disc bike come down or the weight penalty for a more moderate priced disc brake with electronic shifting come down. I'd like to see the weight penalty for disc wheels be better. So, I struggle with this decision over over the last 12 months and put off a frame decision and decided to upgrade the gravel bike I have now keeping it as a rim brake bike (v-brake/canti).

Maybe next year I'll take the plunge and go for a Ti frame with disc brakes and eTap. I'd still do cables because this bike will be a travel bike and will get disassembled frequently for air travel. That almost certainly is easier with a cable brake bike (disc or rim). That's where I figured out the option for cable actuated disc brakes.

J.
Old 04-03-18, 01:05 PM
7daysaweek
Ouch... my knees.

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 2 Posts

Most threads in here are "I don't need or want disc brakes blah blah blah" so this is interesting.
I felt that way until a panic braking situation changed my mind. I was involved in a large, pretty bad crash on a group ride. Several riders went down hard and three left in ambulances including the two immediately in front of me.

Even in a panic my bike never locked up and I was able to get in the ditch and stay out of the crash while staying in control of my bike. I'm convinced the brakes saved me from being involved. Could be wrong, no way to know, but they didn't hurt.

Plenty of folks riding daily without discs so no biggie either way. I will say I'm not a fan of the disc look on a road bike but I like the braking performance quite a bit.
Old 04-03-18, 02:05 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
I would get the SL 1.1 frame and put an Ultegra mechanical group on it.
Old 04-03-18, 05:36 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Lol. My friend wanted to upgrade his 5800 rim brake groupset to DA Di2 Disc and I had to explain why he'd need a new frame. He was a little disappointed.
Old 04-03-18, 06:16 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
The h8rs tend to be more outspoken, I think.

To me, a big factor is current investment. If you already have multiple bikes and wheelsets that are rim brake, I can see why you'd want to stick with them. If you're working with a clean slate, though? Go disc and go hydro.
Old 04-03-18, 06:23 PM
EE_Phred

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Synapse Ultegra Disc, 1999 Gary Fisher Marlin

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's actually pretty simple. And said in other posts above.

You typically CANNOT upgrade a non-disc bike to disc brakes.

You typically CAN upgrade a mech-shift disc brake bike to Di2.

If you are in the position where you want both but can only get one now - the most future proof choice is to go Disc now, and upgrade to Di2 later. It's what I did, and I'm happy with that decision.

-mikey
Old 04-03-18, 08:05 PM
mohamilton

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
The h8rs tend to be more outspoken, I think.

To me, a big factor is current investment. If you already have multiple bikes and wheelsets that are rim brake, I can see why you'd want to stick with them. If you're working with a clean slate, though? Go disc and go hydro.
Clean slate! I sold off my bikes last year - except my 85' Team Fuji - I'm looking to get something more modern, last year I was riding a Trek 520 Disc, talk about a lead sled!... 30lbs of steel, still a great bike just not for me.
Old 04-03-18, 08:08 PM
mohamilton

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by EE_Phred
It's actually pretty simple. And said in other posts above.

You typically CANNOT upgrade a non-disc bike to disc brakes.

You typically CAN upgrade a mech-shift disc brake bike to Di2.

If you are in the position where you want both but can only get one now - the most future proof choice is to go Disc now, and upgrade to Di2 later. It's what I did, and I'm happy with that decision.

-mikey
That seems to make the most sense to me. I've been really wanting to try the Ultegra discs, the ice rotors look sooo cool!!
Old 04-04-18, 09:18 AM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I think this is exactly the right way to look at it.
Old 04-07-18, 09:22 PM
matt92037

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Like many others have said, both. If you can’t do both now, disc brakes first because upgrading to discs down the road mean a new frame set and wheels.

I run Di2 and disc and would never fathom giving up either. After falling in lov with Di2 on my road bike I put it on my MTB last year. I worked the Black Friday deals heavily and was shocked the upgrade didn’t cost much after selling my old parts.
Old 04-07-18, 11:01 PM
1500SLR
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 1500 SLR DI2 Giant Kronos SRAM Rival

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I've never known anyone who is a DI2 bike that has gone back to a purely mechanical bike.
Old 04-08-18, 08:41 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
I have no experience with Di2 and I have no problems with my 105, Dura Ace or SRAM Red. So, I'm not motivated to change. I have a Colnago World Cup CX with mechanical disc brakes that I think are great. Would have them on a road bike in a heartbeat. But, do I need them? Not really. I'm fine with rim brakes. As others have said, if you can have both, have both. If it's just one, base it on the type of riding you do and what feels right to you.
Old 04-08-18, 12:26 PM
Bucki

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just purchased a new diamond back podium etape for $1500 that has hydraulic brakes and going to add the sram etap aero all for under $3000.
Old 04-08-18, 12:31 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by 1500SLR
I've never known anyone who is a DI2 bike that has gone back to a purely mechanical bike.
I have Di2 and mechanical bikes. When choosing which to ride the Di2 doesn't really come into it. Equally happy on either.
Old 04-14-18, 11:00 PM
2018Roubaix

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Made the move to Di2 a couple of years ago with the Ultegra 68xx series and will never go back. Just picked up a new bike this year with the Ultegra Di2 8070 configuration and still love the Di2 and knowing I won’t have any maintenance with it.

Disc brakes on the other hand have been a PITA with squeal, cleaning, rebedding, and the cycle starts over again after a few hundred miles. I would go back to rim brakes in a second but will never give up the maintenance free Di2.
Old 04-15-18, 06:53 AM
kbarch

Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Di2. You can always go back to mechanical if you don't like it, but if you get disc, your bike will ALWAYS look dorky.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.