Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Rain jacket recommendations

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-18, 10:17 AM
chephy
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

In the market for a new rainjacket, looking for recommendations. Zip vents, pockets, and hood are a must. No real budget in mind; willing to part with a few hundred dollars as long as the jacket is worth it. I'll be happier if I can get a good jacket for $200-300, but if spending $500-600 will result in significant benefits, I'm willing to go there and maybe even a little bit higher.

My first waterproof-breathable rainjacket was an Arc'teryx, and I thought it was amazing. Unfortunately, I unwittingly washed it with liquid detergent and it lost all waterproofness. So I bought another Arc'teryx to replace it, and it was completely awful! Not at all waterproof. Not sure what the deal was with that, but it sure turned me off the brand. Still willing to consider it but am kind of cautious about it...

Any suggestions (or warnings) will be much appreciated.
Old 04-03-18, 11:00 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Did you try to reapply a waterproof coating?
Old 04-03-18, 11:08 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Yea WPB surfactants are only effective for a short while.. And detergent wetting solutions disable their function..

so all WPB fabrics are similar ..

NikWax 'tech wash' from their descriptions, is made without wetting agents , I suspect, so your reproofing after that may go better..

MEC Toronto got jackets?

Out on the Open Ocean , Commercial fishermen wear Grundens foul weather gear it is not breathable at all waterproof..

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-03-18 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-03-18, 11:18 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Showers Pass makes a nice hooded jacket.
https://www.showerspass.com/collecti...IaAq8JEALw_wcB
Old 04-03-18, 12:17 PM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
How is J&G rain gear? bob, didn't you use and/or review their jackets once?

Bicycle Clothing At Its Best--and Our Bicycle Clothing Is MADE IN OREGON!
Old 04-03-18, 12:22 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
Did you try to reapply a waterproof coating?
Yep, no point in replacing a piece of kit that you "thought it was amazing" that can be revived in a washing machine for a few $:

Wash-in cleaner for waterproof clothing and gear - Tech Wash

-Bandera
Old 04-03-18, 03:27 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Mrs Grouch and I have a pair of Craft rain jackets that we've has for 10 or 12 years. We haver both loved them since they were new.
Old 04-04-18, 07:38 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
As others have said, use the Nikwax solution. Comes in two parts, wash it the first time to thoroughly clean it of your first mistake, and the second to waterproof it.

Also, know that one Arcteryx is not the same as another, just because they are the same brand. There are different types and levels of waterproofing.
Old 04-04-18, 09:59 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
One alternative I did speak of is cycle rain capes.. J&G do offer a version Rain Capes from People Who Really Know Rain Capes!

Though I got a much longer , and heavier rain cape from a Riv-Bike - Grundens Foul weather gear company collaboration..

Because the open draping over your arms nature of their design, they use a water proof coated fabric,

relying on ventilation rather than water vapor permeability..

I own a Showers Pass Portland* Jacket, it is a tweedy grey fabric with a bonded liner that provides a bit of insulation..

Renamed apparently https://www.showerspass.com/collecti...sterdam-jacket IDK if the fabric has changed.. certainly darker..

Mostly wear a parka of neon yellow-green with wide reflective stripes . for my dark season winter .. 'not raining much' occasions, riding across town..

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-04-18 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-04-18, 10:07 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
If you're willing to spend ~$300, look no further than the Gore Shakedry.
Old 04-04-18, 10:31 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Showers Pass. Not much for pockets but excellent otherwise. I have three. An early one that has been abused and is long since "dead" for waterproof but is an excellent dry weather jacket. Next was the lined jacket. Great commuter jacket. It is holding up really well and is very close to completely waterproof. (Put on dry and I could probably walk under Niagra Falls, but it will saturate over time. Years later it is as good as new. Drawback - with its liner, it does not fold up small. Third jacket is a newish unlined jacket. Similar to the first but Showers Pass learned a lot between the two. (They make there stuff right here in Portland and most of them commute year 'round by bike wearing their stuff. It shows.)

Pluses - good vents, very well done cuffs with Velcro, two-way zippers! (so you can start the zipper bottom and have easy access to your jersey pockets AND keep rain/rear tire stream off your jersey). Very nice locking your bike up in a hard rain or grabbing that energy bay.

Ben
Old 04-04-18, 10:53 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
If you're willing to spend ~$300, look no further than the Gore Shakedry.
Do you have one? Which brand/model? Any feedback?

I'm looking at the Gore C5 Shakedry 1985 Vis. For the OP, the R7 has a hood.The 7Mesh Oro is made of the same textile but doesn't have a zippered pocket and lacks high visibility features.

-Tim-
Old 04-04-18, 11:17 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4350 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
Reach out to Arcteryx. They make excellent jackets that are meant to last with good care and could certainly help out with care tips and if there are issues with the jacket that cannot be fixed with normal care they might help with a warranty.

On that second jacket was it a waterproof jacket. If it uses seam sealed Gore-Tex than it would be waterproof but some of their jackets are for different outdoor purposes and might have waterproofing in certain areas but not others , it could also be using Windstopper which typically is not seam-sealed so water can get in but it is a fully windproof fabric. I would check on their website and find out which jacket it is as it might not be a rain shell.

Some places might sell jackets and not know their stuff or might mis-classify something because it uses some Gore-Tex but is not full seam-sealed GTX and you could have bought that thinking you had something different.

Generally Arcteryx makes some of the best quality jackets and are really particular about construction to make something at the top levels of excellence. Their seam sealing tape is as small as they can make it which requires a lot of precision to do it and their QC is top notch. I sold Arcteryx for years and have several pieces from them that are excellent and I am sad I no longer work in a place that stocks their product.

My rain jacket is a Mountain Hardwear Chinley 3L but I have been quite interested in the Gore Shakedry stuff and some of the newer lighterweight stuff that is coming out from different brands. Getting rid of the DWR on the outside is an excellent thing for waterproofness and breathability.
Old 04-04-18, 11:53 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
my 2 cents: whatever you do, don't buy online. something this important, should be tried on, in person
Old 04-04-18, 11:56 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Have you tried a poncho? I love my People's Poncho. Absolutely waterproof, waist strap so it doesn't billow in the back, fits over the bars when I ride so my legs stay pretty dry. Great ventilation since it's open underneath. As for pockets - they're in the clothes I wear below the poncho so no problem! Super easy on and off, too.
Old 04-04-18, 01:42 PM
chephy
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!

Originally Posted by Bandera
Yep, no point in replacing a piece of kit that you "thought it was amazing" that can be revived in a washing machine for a few $:

Wash-in cleaner for waterproof clothing and gear - Tech Wash

-Bandera
Don't assume I haven't tried that.
Old 04-04-18, 01:45 PM
chephy
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Reach out to Arcteryx. They make excellent jackets that are meant to last with good care and could certainly help out with care tips and if there are issues with the jacket that cannot be fixed with normal care they might help with a warranty.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, it was supposed to be waterproof; it was definitely sold to me as such by a reputable dealer. I did reach out to the company but they were of very limited help. Basically shrugged their shoulders, and did nothing, which surprised the hell out of me because of how good their excellent reputation. I was on an extended out-of-the-country trip at the time, so figuring out shipping etc. would have been too much hassle anyway.
Old 04-04-18, 01:47 PM
chephy
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Showers Pass. Not much for pockets but excellent otherwise. I have three. An early one that has been abused and is long since "dead" for waterproof but is an excellent dry weather jacket. Next was the lined jacket. Great commuter jacket. It is holding up really well and is very close to completely waterproof. (Put on dry and I could probably walk under Niagra Falls, but it will saturate over time. Years later it is as good as new. Drawback - with its liner, it does not fold up small. Third jacket is a newish unlined jacket. Similar to the first but Showers Pass learned a lot between the two. (They make there stuff right here in Portland and most of them commute year 'round by bike wearing their stuff. It shows.)

Pluses - good vents, very well done cuffs with Velcro, two-way zippers! (so you can start the zipper bottom and have easy access to your jersey pockets AND keep rain/rear tire stream off your jersey). Very nice locking your bike up in a hard rain or grabbing that energy bay.

Ben
Interesting, thanks! Definitely considering them! How is your experience with the "core vents"? I'm a bit concerned about the lack of pit zips; that's where I get sweatiest first!
Old 04-04-18, 01:56 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by chephy
Don't assume I haven't tried that.
What product(s) did you use and what was the result of trying to renew the DWR after the liquid detergent fiasco?

-Bandera
Old 04-04-18, 02:01 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
my 2 cents: whatever you do, don't buy online. something this important, should be tried on, in person
Backcountry will send several sizes with two day free shipping and let you return what you don't want for free. They only charge you for what you keep.

You have to work with a human who works there, not through the website. Most of my transactions are via email.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 04-04-18 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-04-18, 02:02 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
+3 on Showers Pass.
Old 04-04-18, 02:40 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Backcountry will send several sizes with two day free shipping and let you return what you don't want for free. They only charge you for what you keep
whatever it takes to compete, eh?
Old 04-04-18, 03:41 PM
chephy
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!

Originally Posted by Bandera
What product(s) did you use and what was the result of trying to renew the DWR after the liquid detergent fiasco?

-Bandera
That was over four years ago, so I don't remember exactly, but the product names floated here sound very familiar. So something along those lines. I was desperate to restore that jacket, so I did a lot of research and went for a couple of tries. Nopes.
Old 04-04-18, 03:46 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Haven't waded through all the posts but, in general, I'd be looking at Assos.
Old 04-04-18, 04:18 PM
Brob2

Bikes: Opus Staccatto

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chephy
My first waterproof-breathable rainjacket was an Arc'teryx, and I thought it was amazing. Unfortunately, I unwittingly washed it with liquid detergent and it lost all waterproofness. So I bought another Arc'teryx to replace it, and it was completely awful! Not at all waterproof. Not sure what the deal was with that, but it sure turned me off the brand. Still willing to consider it but am kind of cautious about it...
I have been quite unhappy with a couple of Arc'teryx fleeces that have had to be repaired due to poor construction. While I have other gear of theirs I have had no problems with I don't see them as meeting the standard of their reputation or price point.

My current decade old raingear includes a Pearl Izumi training jacket and an LLBean shell, and I can't kill either one of them, so those would be my recommendations. I have some RAB stuff that is true top notch gear, but fashionable it ain't.

My 2 cents, worth at least a quarter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.