Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Carrying recovery drink

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Carrying recovery drink

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-18, 08:45 AM
nightshade18

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carrying recovery drink

Wondered if anyone had any good advice on how I might carry recovery drink power?
I am going on my first long tour (13 days) and have found that a recovery drink after all day in the saddle really helps. Ideally id like to be able to weigh out the powder at home so it's ready for each day - I have a huge great tub at home already.

Google hasn't turned up much - any smart ideas?
Old 05-21-18, 08:50 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
I buy beer at the end of my touring days where available. Powder? Ziplock bags would work.
Old 05-21-18, 09:25 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
+1 on the zip lock bags. Snack size (the little ones) for a bottle-size portion.

Or buy individual packets. Packets resist tears and punctures better than lightweight zip-locks. Get a box of a dozen, or mix and match.
Old 05-21-18, 09:39 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Nuun tabs are very convenient.

Old 05-21-18, 09:53 AM
nightshade18

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Nuun tabs are very convenient.

they are, but this late in the game I don't want to experiment with a different brand (Do they do a post ride one?) Plus I already have the powder on hand.
I'll have a look at zip lock bags and see if I can find some small ones...
Old 05-21-18, 09:13 PM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
I use Ziplock freezer bags. I also mix electrolyte powder into my water as I go.
Old 05-22-18, 05:20 AM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
I buy beer at the end of my touring days where available.
Exactly my thought upon reading the thread title. Cheers!

Maybe you could weigh out your powder and put it onto little squares of waxed paper then fold it up and seal it with a piece of tape or something. I’d think that would be the way to fit it into as small of space as possible, and on the plus side is more environmentally friendly than plastic too. You could even just toss the paper in the fire in the evening if camping. ...Then crack open your camp fire beer.
Old 05-22-18, 07:05 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
This isn't a direct answer to the question, but a small warning. I've seen a some people having problems on long trips in warm weather with mold developing in containers and especially hydration tubes after mixing and using products like that.
Old 05-22-18, 07:34 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
This isn't a direct answer to the question, but a small warning. I've seen a some people having problems on long trips in warm weather with mold developing in containers and especially hydration tubes after mixing and using products like that.
I was about to mention make sure you are in a dry, non humid environment when repackagaing your stuff, and it is sealed good. A few buddies tried to repackage bulk freeze dry food into vacuum seal pouches for a trip, they must have done it on a humid day because some of it went off pretty bad.
Old 05-22-18, 10:15 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
I do not bring a recovery powder on trips, but on some trips I have brought psyllium powder (the stuff in Metamucil) to drink. I carry it in a quart sized freezer ziplock bag, I leave the scoop for it in the bag, one scoop is the exact volume that I want.

If you wanted the extra precision of pre-weighing it at home instead of using a volumetric measurement, buy a box of snack sized zip lock bags and measure out how much you want in each snack sized bag. I have done that with coffee for my french press on some trips.
Old 05-23-18, 08:39 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
You should never put drinks with sugar in them in a hydration pack. Water only. I usually carry Gatorade during the day but I keep one of my three bottles for water only...and mark it as such. After a couple of weeks of Gatorade and not being able to wash the bottles, I often just throw the bottles away, especially if they look like something is growing in there.

Originally Posted by nightshade18
Wondered if anyone had any good advice on how I might carry recovery drink power?
I am going on my first long tour (13 days) and have found that a recovery drink after all day in the saddle really helps. Ideally id like to be able to weigh out the powder at home so it's ready for each day - I have a huge great tub at home already.

Google hasn't turned up much - any smart ideas?
I don't know how much you need to carry but the ziplock will work. However, I've found that ziplocks get beat up pretty quickly and can puncture. Look at REI (or other outdoor shop) for Nalgene containers. Alternatively, you could use PET containers. They would be lighter. These spice jars would be ideal if you didn't have to buy 48 of them. Look for PET (polyethylene terephthalate). It's the same plastic as you'll find in bottled water or soda bottles. Check Amazon as well.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-23-18, 09:16 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
those bike water bottles that unscrew the bottom of them, would be easier to clean out the gunk that settles to the bottle bottom.
Old 05-23-18, 11:04 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by nightshade18
they are, but this late in the game I don't want to experiment with a different brand (Do they do a post ride one?) Plus I already have the powder on hand.
I'll have a look at zip lock bags and see if I can find some small ones...
Good luck on your tour and give Nuun a try when you get back.

Most find them very benign and however many tabs you need can be tossed into a single ziplock bag for a trip. Maybe double bag it in case there is rain but that's it.

I carry at least one with me every ride. Just drop one into a bottle, no powder, no mess, super easy.

-Tim-
Old 05-24-18, 04:57 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
I carry my ground coffee in a doubled up Zip-Loc bags. Don;t see why it wouldn't work for powder. Started doubling after one time when the single bag developed a little puncture. Not fun to have to get coffee grinds out of a pannier. Powder would be worse.
Old 05-25-18, 11:04 PM
Kelly I

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Lot's of trouble.

I have used Spiz meal replacement drink for years. I feel a definite advantage while riding and after riding when drinking Spiz as a recovery drink. I've gone so far as to have Spiz mailed to me on tour and to have people joining me on tour bring a fresh supply. It's quite a lot of trouble.

I tried drinking chocolate milk instead. It was not the same.

Over the past couple of years I've made a determined effort to travel light weight. Carrying 3-5 pounds of powder is not light weight. For 2018 I've ridden an 11 day Arizona tour and a 4 day Colorado tour. On both trips the only supplement I used was Hammer brand Perpetuem tablets. I found them to be an acceptable and lighter weight substitute for Spiz on big effort days. On normal effort days, I've been eating food only and have done just fine. Imagine that - just food!

As much as I am a happy customer of Spiz, I'm happier to have more room in my panniers.

To answer your question - I carried my Spiz powder double Ziplocked bagged and I had one specific bottle to mix it up.
Old 05-25-18, 11:36 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Would it not be easier to buy and drink a bottle of Gatorade type product at a gas station each day and just drink it? Electrolyte replacement drinks seem to be ubiquitous.
Old 05-26-18, 05:44 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

The OP did not say what his recovery powder is, but specified recovery instead of energy so I suspect it is high in protein. Not just carbs and electrolytes.
Old 05-26-18, 09:52 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I carry my ground coffee in a doubled up Zip-Loc bags. Don;t see why it wouldn't work for powder. Started doubling after one time when the single bag developed a little puncture. Not fun to have to get coffee grinds out of a pannier. Powder would be worse.
That right there. I haven't tried the PET bottles but I think I'll start because they would be tougher than ziplocs without being that much heavier.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-26-18, 10:15 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Ground coffee in individual serving vacuum packed cubes is in the grocery stores
Ortlieb has a folding melitta cone like paper filter-support ,
you hold over your cup with chopsticks tent pins or whatever..
Old 05-26-18, 12:44 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Ground coffee in individual serving vacuum packed cubes is in the grocery stores
And grocery stores carry Velveeta "cheese" too, but I stopped eating that junk when I was a kid.

La Colombe Corsica and my Bodum Travel Press mug keeps the coffee hot and gets the juices flowing. Con't leave home without them.

Old 05-26-18, 05:06 PM
Tourist in MSN

I was the first one to mention coffee when I said: "If you wanted the extra precision of pre-weighing it at home instead of using a volumetric measurement, buy a box of snack sized zip lock bags and measure out how much you want in each snack sized bag. I have done that with coffee for my french press on some trips."

I appreciate all the suggestions on how to carry coffee, but I put the little snack sized zip lock baggies inside the french press when traveling. Thus, they were well protected from puncture or anything else that could cause coffee ground leakage in my pack. And this way I had one pot of coffee per day on the trip since I counted them out when I bagged them at home. I have only done this on canoe trips where resupply during the trip is impossible.

So, thanks for the input but I got it figured out. Now if I could figure out how to make sure there is no frost in the morning, ... ...

There is one other hazard that did not get mentioned for bag punctures, ... ...

Old 05-29-18, 07:42 AM
Brett A
Word.

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Orbea Oiz XCountry Bike, Specialized Roubaix, Borealis Echo Fat Bike for Winter, many others out in the barn.

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 51 Posts
I don't think you'll find a better option that good, strong zip locs. They don't weigh much, and only take up as much space as what's in them. But why pre-measure at all? Why not put it in one bigger ziploc and carry the scoop in it? Pre-measuring means more work and more complication. I like to keep things simple myself. (Just a thought, of course. You do what you'll enjoy the most)
Old 05-29-18, 09:29 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Oh sure, just blame the chipmunks for everything that goes wrong. 😋😁
I've been carrying an extra 2.5 liter bottle of pop, in each pannier lately. Temps in the 90s F pretty steady, here in Eastern Colorado, so you need a lot of actual liquids.
In case anyone needs advice, I like Sprite or Mountain Dew. 7-Up has that weird lime aftertaste, that tastes like dish soap or something. 🙄
Old 05-30-18, 08:30 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by stardognine
Oh sure, just blame the chipmunks for everything that goes wrong. 😋😁
Forget the chipmunks. I've had more trouble with dogs (took my breakfast and tried to dump my coffee supply in the Missouri River), crows (robbed my stash of breakfast bars and snacks in Arkansas), raccoons (tried to raid my panniers in West Virginia) and sea gulls (stole my keys in Michigan).

Old 05-30-18, 09:19 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I appreciate all the suggestions on how to carry coffee, but I put the little snack sized zip lock baggies inside the french press when traveling. Thus, they were well protected from puncture or anything else that could cause coffee ground leakage in my pack. And this way I had one pot of coffee per day on the trip since I counted them out when I bagged them at home. I have only done this on canoe trips where resupply during the trip is impossible.
Yep, I kept my coffee and loose leaf tea inside my cookware. Worked perfectly.

I too am a bit pickier on my coffee, but I am more of an espresso guy: