Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Best ride break meal?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Best ride break meal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-18, 04:28 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Edible and tasty.
Old 07-31-18, 11:36 PM
schoolboy2 
Easily Led Astray

Bikes: Trek 5200, Trek Domane 5.2, Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Rustic Gumbo

As a bike tourist, every ride was long and had a meal (lunch) in the middle of it. Of the many fine (and some not so fine) meals on the road, the one that stands out was some rustic gumbo, dark brown and rich with flavor that I had at some crossroads cafe between Cleveland and Silsbee Texas. From my journal for that day: "For lunch I stopped at the Country Cafe, a small restaurant at a crossroads. I don't think they see many cyclists here and I really stood out in my black lycra leggings and shorts with my red, white and blue jersey. I had their Gumbo which was quite different from mine. It was a rustic stew of chicken and shrimp in a dark brown sauce and tasted fabulous. I wish I had taken a picture of it before I inhaled it." I would eat that stuff any day.
Old 08-01-18, 05:55 AM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
Well, on my last weekend solo ride, I had the most delicious, extra-large, cold and crunchy dill pickle. I don't know why, but I still keep thinking about that and how I can tailor my future long rides to go by a deli that sells them. Really hit the spot on a hot and sweaty summer day.

Dill pickles aside, generally, I don't eat hot meals during rides, although, I have one fund-raising ride I've done several times that has a great, all the fixin's, baked potato stop. Although lately I've been having post-ride cravings for a Tortellini Zingarella meal at a local Italian restaurant.

Aside from that, I've got a pastry shop that I go by on one of my loops that has a great bread pudding.
Old 08-01-18, 08:16 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by schoolboy2
As a bike tourist, every ride was long and had a meal (lunch) in the middle of it. Of the many fine (and some not so fine) meals on the road, the one that stands out was some rustic gumbo, dark brown and rich with flavor that I had at some crossroads cafe between Cleveland and Silsbee Texas. From my journal for that day: "For lunch I stopped at the Country Cafe, a small restaurant at a crossroads. I don't think they see many cyclists here and I really stood out in my black lycra leggings and shorts with my red, white and blue jersey. I had their Gumbo which was quite different from mine. It was a rustic stew of chicken and shrimp in a dark brown sauce and tasted fabulous. I wish I had taken a picture of it before I inhaled it." I would eat that stuff any day.

Generally, I think there's an inverse relationship between the fanciness of the place and the quality of the gumbo--that sounds amazing.

Gotta ask--why is someone from Sonoma biking in that part of Texas? Isn't that like going to Nebraska for the wine?
Old 08-01-18, 09:29 AM
schoolboy2 
Easily Led Astray

Bikes: Trek 5200, Trek Domane 5.2, Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I agree about the inverse relationship between the fanciness of the restaurant and the quality of the gumbo.

I was cycling in east Texas as part of the Adventure Cycling Southern Tier route. It took 15 days of cycling to cross Texas from El Paso to Deweyville on the Louisiana border. Much as I love cycling here in Sonoma County, I also love to ride in other parts of the world. There was an unexpected beauty to the Texas countryside, especially the vast undeveloped lands of west Texas.
Old 08-01-18, 10:38 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by schoolboy2
I agree about the inverse relationship between the fanciness of the restaurant and the quality of the gumbo.

I was cycling in east Texas as part of the Adventure Cycling Southern Tier route. It took 15 days of cycling to cross Texas from El Paso to Deweyville on the Louisiana border. Much as I love cycling here in Sonoma County, I also love to ride in other parts of the world. There was an unexpected beauty to the Texas countryside, especially the vast undeveloped lands of west Texas.

I'm guessing you didn't do that in August!

Sounds fascinating, I would expect to learn a lot about the area.

Welcome to BF, newbie! Looking forward to your posts. Sounds like you've done some cool stuff.
Old 08-01-18, 06:37 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Some almost 40 years ago, when I was on a spur-of-the-moment cycle trip to visit relatives 450 miles away, I usually simply stopped at roadside produce stands during the day, and a Micky D's or Burger King at night. But the ONE mid-ride meal that stands out the most from that trip is when I was riding between Kenosha and Madison... I was riding some lettered county road (Wisconsinites will get the reference) at around one in a hot afternoon... I stopped at a greasy spoon/diner I stopped in for a 1/2-pound patty of a cheeseburger, and a homemade lemonade... The owner and a 'regular' were intrigued when I said that I was from Cleveland and had already ridden that morning from Kenosha (almost 70 miles away) and couldn't believe that someone would willingly ride a bicycle that far in a day -- one of my shorter days on that trip! They plied me with a couple of cold brewskis to hear 'my story', and upon leaving, they wouldn't accept payment for the meal (or beers)... Luckily, I had another 15 miles or so to go into a strong wind before reaching my aunt and uncle's place to burn off the alcohol buzz...
Old 08-02-18, 04:27 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
Some almost 40 years ago, when I was on a spur-of-the-moment cycle trip to visit relatives 450 miles away, I usually simply stopped at roadside produce stands during the day, and a Micky D's or Burger King at night. But the ONE mid-ride meal that stands out the most from that trip is when I was riding between Kenosha and Madison... I was riding some lettered county road (Wisconsinites will get the reference) at around one in a hot afternoon... I stopped at a greasy spoon/diner I stopped in for a 1/2-pound patty of a cheeseburger, and a homemade lemonade... The owner and a 'regular' were intrigued when I said that I was from Cleveland and had already ridden that morning from Kenosha (almost 70 miles away) and couldn't believe that someone would willingly ride a bicycle that far in a day -- one of my shorter days on that trip! They plied me with a couple of cold brewskis to hear 'my story', and upon leaving, they wouldn't accept payment for the meal (or beers)... Luckily, I had another 15 miles or so to go into a strong wind before reaching my aunt and uncle's place to burn off the alcohol buzz...
In that era, you probably seemed like a unicorn to them. Did you have to ride through Gary, Ind. on that ride? The mills were still open then, and the air was really bad!
Old 08-02-18, 07:17 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Though a Michigander, I get the reference to lettered roads in Wisconsin. We vacation each year in the far west U.P. of Michigan. Wisconsin just around the corner. We sometimes go to dinner or brunch at the Little Bohemia Lodge. We would drive there and back over roads labeled YY or WW, or some such. Often wondered what the reasoning and rationale for that was.

Back to the original topic.
Old 08-02-18, 06:29 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
Though a Michigander, I get the reference to lettered roads in Wisconsin. We vacation each year in the far west U.P. of Michigan. Wisconsin just around the corner. We sometimes go to dinner or brunch at the Little Bohemia Lodge. We would drive there and back over roads labeled YY or WW, or some such. Often wondered what the reasoning and rationale for that was.

Back to the original topic.
My old man was from that area of the U.P. Bessemer. We'd camp at Lake Gogibic when we'd go up there for a visit...
Old 08-02-18, 07:22 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
The best meal would be a meal replacement or protein shake. When food is in your stomach you need full energy to digest it. Both of these can be out of your stomach in an hour. If you split the difference (exercising during digestion), both will suffer.

Nevertheless, if you're intent on solid food I'd choose chicken or fish. Beef would be the worst and last choice. However, if you must again, at lest go lean...very lean!
Old 08-03-18, 04:12 AM
dbursell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good tips!
Old 08-03-18, 08:13 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by KraneXL
The best meal would be a meal replacement or protein shake. When food is in your stomach you need full energy to digest it. Both of these can be out of your stomach in an hour. If you split the difference (exercising during digestion), both will suffer.

Nevertheless, if you're intent on solid food I'd choose chicken or fish. Beef would be the worst and last choice. However, if you must again, at lest go lean...very lean!

I was really explicit in the OP that this wan't a request for advice--it's the first sentence! I do very long rides and eat pretty much whatever I want during them without ill effect, and with more energy after the meal/break than before it. I was really trying to guage whether I'm an outlier in this because I see advice like your's all of the time, and I suspect that unless you're trying TDF times on long rides, it may actually be BS for a lot of people.

If you read through this thread, you'll see a lot of people describing stopping for fairly elaborate meals during rides and continuing on with the ride. I haven't seen a single one say anything to the effect of "and I slogged my way miserably for the rest of the ride", or that they in any way regretted the meal.

I sort of fell into long distance riding last year, never really intending to start, so I hadn't researched what I was "supposed" to do. I now am averaging about 1000 miles a month having made up my rules as I've gone along, and find that when I encounter "should" or "must" advice on the subject, much of it indicates that how I'm doing things should make it impossible to do things like ride 168 miles in a day on a hybrid.

I've done some of my best riding right after a big plate of fatty barbecue and peanuts, and I'd rather eat my tires than drink a protein shake.

Last edited by livedarklions; 08-03-18 at 08:14 AM. Reason: ETA
Old 08-03-18, 09:46 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I was really explicit in the OP that this wan't a request for advice--it's the first sentence! I do very long rides and eat pretty much whatever I want during them without ill effect, and with more energy after the meal/break than before it. I was really trying to guage whether I'm an outlier in this because I see advice like your's all of the time, and I suspect that unless you're trying TDF times on long rides, it may actually be BS for a lot of people.

If you read through this thread, you'll see a lot of people describing stopping for fairly elaborate meals during rides and continuing on with the ride. I haven't seen a single one say anything to the effect of "and I slogged my way miserably for the rest of the ride", or that they in any way regretted the meal.

I sort of fell into long distance riding last year, never really intending to start, so I hadn't researched what I was "supposed" to do. I now am averaging about 1000 miles a month having made up my rules as I've gone along, and find that when I encounter "should" or "must" advice on the subject, much of it indicates that how I'm doing things should make it impossible to do things like ride 168 miles in a day on a hybrid.

I've done some of my best riding right after a big plate of fatty barbecue and peanuts, and I'd rather eat my tires than drink a protein shake.
Point taken. Consider the listings my meals and ignore the suggestion.
Old 08-03-18, 09:59 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by KraneXL
Point taken. Consider the listings my meals and ignore the suggestion.

Cool, thanks!

Can I take that as an indication that there is someone in this world who actually enjoys meal replacements and/or protein shakes, or is that going too far?
Old 08-03-18, 11:06 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
My most tasty "meal" was on the train trip towards home after the bulk of the ride.The bike portion of the trip was an 168km ride along the Moselle on AutoFrei Tag in 2002. The bike trip was preceded by a 5km ride from my home to the train station in Waldorf (near Heidelberg,) a 4 hour train ride to Trier, with a train shuttle to Schweich, an all day scenic bike ride among thousands of other to Cochem and a local train to Koblenz. The meal was a big bag of Erdnuss Flips (peanut flavored doodles) with a six pack of German beer bought in the train station in Koblenz. Finished the wonderful meal before the train arrived in Mannheim, from where I rode the final 20 km to home after midnight. A wonderful day with a wonderful ride and meal!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
HappyMosel.jpg (224.5 KB, 76 views)
Old 08-03-18, 11:54 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
The don't serve "hot dogs" in RI, they serve wieners (preferably with chili sauce, onions, and celery salt).

Regardless of the length of the ride, a big meal for me is eating an entire Clif bar. Or if the ride is supported, a whole PB&J. I don't think I've ever had a bite of "normal" food on centuries, double-centuries, or triple centuries. Though I do recall once eating one of those taquitos on a 7-11 rolling cooker. Never again.
Old 08-03-18, 12:09 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Riveting
The don't serve "hot dogs" in RI, they serve wieners (preferably with chili sauce, onions, and celery salt).
Well, to be fully accurate, I went to Olneyville, so I actually had New York System hot weiners with all that stuff ("all the way"), except they call it weiner sauce. I ate 4 and had some coffee milk before I commenced on the 84 mile trip back home.
Old 08-08-18, 02:34 PM
luddite_68

Bikes: GT Zum & Fuji Gran Fondo

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Don't really eat meals during a ride, at most 1/2 pb&j. After a hard metric or imperial century... I CRAVE a cuban sandwich.
Old 08-08-18, 02:57 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by luddite_68
Don't really eat meals during a ride, at most 1/2 pb&j. After a hard metric or imperial century... I CRAVE a cuban sandwich.

I've had one on a long ride. It was perfect.
Old 08-08-18, 03:02 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
I'll eat any meal mid ride as long as it ends with or includes at least one chocolate frosted creme filled donut and a coffee.

Last edited by u235; 08-09-18 at 06:21 AM.
Old 08-08-18, 11:42 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I was really explicit in the OP that this wan't a request for advice--it's the first sentence! I do very long rides and eat pretty much whatever I want during them without ill effect, and with more energy after the meal/break than before it.
Absolutely no argument with what works.

That said, I've found a trail segment I usually hit right after lunch to be particularly challenging to get through - in fact on my 2nd most previous serious ride it was where everything pretty much fell apart and while sitting on a bench my goals changed from accomplishing a round trip to just making my way slowly to the outlying train station in a relaxed survival mode.

Successfully completing that ride as a round trip this Monday, I made a point to eat only half of my chicken & mayo deli sandwich before the hard part, and the other half a couple miles later in easier terrain. I can't prove it made a difference (in fact an incompletely healed injury that since resolved was an equal contributor to the failed ride), but being aware of the potential issue of lessened energy while digesting protein and fat, and specifically planning what I needed to do in terms or riding and for how long, and how that fit in with eating did seem to help a lot.

That said I think it's also true that most aren't doing peak athletic performance efforts most of the time on most rides, but just cranking out moderate effort hour after hour. Hard parts are hard when they catch unprepared, on top of other challenges.. Things like planning and pacing and strategic rests level out the challenges.
Old 08-09-18, 03:28 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by UniChris
Absolutely no argument with what works.

That said, I've found a trail segment I usually hit right after lunch to be particularly challenging to get through - in fact on my 2nd most previous serious ride it was where everything pretty much fell apart and while sitting on a bench my goals changed from accomplishing a round trip to just making my way slowly to the outlying train station in a relaxed survival mode.

Successfully completing that ride as a round trip this Monday, I made a point to eat only half of my chicken & mayo deli sandwich before the hard part, and the other half a couple miles later in easier terrain. I can't prove it made a difference (in fact an incompletely healed injury that since resolved was an equal contributor to the failed ride), but being aware of the potential issue of lessened energy while digesting protein and fat, and specifically planning what I needed to do in terms or riding and for how long, and how that fit in with eating did seem to help a lot.

That said I think it's also true that most aren't doing peak athletic performance efforts most of the time on most rides, but just cranking out moderate effort hour after hour. Hard parts are hard when they catch unprepared, on top of other challenges.. Things like planning and pacing and strategic rests level out the challenges.
This is pretty much the direction I don't want this thread to go because I think the topic has been talked to death, but I don't find that having a stomach full of solid food hinders my peak performance in any way. I'm not a TDF rider eating only what I can consume while pedalling, but I am capable of cranking out miles at about 22 mph in the flat on an upright bike and climbing hills on the large chain ring, and have done so for hours on a stomach full of hot dogs and coffee milk on one occassion, a huge barbecue combo plate that included brisket, ribs and turkey with sides and a bunch of peanuts on another, and last weekend a bowl of clam chowder with 2 rolls, a short rib panini, a pear tart and two cookies. At 57 years old, I guess it's theoretically possible I could be slightly faster if I ate less/differently on a ride, but I just don't see it.
I don't question your experience as to what works for you, what I always challenge is the explicit or implicit assertion that it is therefore true for everyone. I may be an outlier, but I just don't find it ever to have been true for me that I couldn't do something because I was too full, and I make no effort whatsoever to do the kind of planning you describe. That said, I have no idea how riding a unicycle 100 miles compares to riding 168 miles on a bike.
Old 08-09-18, 05:06 PM
superpletch
faster downhill

Bikes: more than my wife can keep track of

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
while on Pacific Coast tour my brother and I decided we got about 50 mpb.........(miles per burrito)

we did stink up the motel room though
Old 08-09-18, 05:34 PM
jeffreythree

Bikes: '90 Schwinn Traveler(retired), '61 Bottecchia, '86 RS Maxima, '17 Jamis Renegade Exile, '92 Trek 920

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Around here it is Mom's Cafe in Aubrey. A bit to close for me except to hit it before the last bit home on the tail end of a long ride, and quite a few bikes are pulled up for brunch every weekend. Pimento cheese on fresh bread with sweet tea really hits the spot after riding around the local lake, ~75 miles.