Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Square frame geometry v...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 08-12-18, 08:27 AM
letenn 

Bikes: 1989 Cannondale SR400(?)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts

When I say square, I mean the top tube, and seat tube are of same length and angle. I'm not sure what you call a frame that isn't square. Or, when the Top tube is longer than the seat tube.

Anyway, just curious if there is any advantage/disadvantage to a longer top tube.

Thanks
Old 08-12-18, 09:07 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 2,227 Posts
The arcane world of fit and fitting.
It's all about the fitting of the human body onto the bike.
The human body comes in many sizes, various leg and arm lengths.
Therefore, it follows, so should the bike's proportions.
Then there's the human fitness factor, core strength, flexibility, other things to consider.

One size does not fit all.
A long top tube, tells us nothing by itself. But when considered with seatpost setback, saddle options, stem length/rise, handlebar reach/drop, etc it becomes one element in determining an appropriate position on the bike.
Old 08-12-18, 09:29 AM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
BITD lots of British bikes came with 22" TTs, no matter what the ST length was. That worked well for us shorter folks with proportionally longer upper bodies than legs. I'm one of them, so my British frame can be setup to match my needs pretty easily. I feel like I'm sticking way out over the front wheel on square bikes with the right ST for my legs, and I don't like that feeling.

But I think I'm in a minority here. Square may be better for the average person.
Old 08-12-18, 09:45 AM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
Sheldon Brown's opinion was that top tube length was the most important characteristic for frame fit. The frame top tube length that suits you depends on both your skeletal proportions (taller vs shorter above the waist for your height) and your preferred riding style (stretched out vs more upright); while the seat tube length is related to your lower extremity length (typically measured as "pubic bone height"), but the range of preferable/acceptable sizes is perhaps greater with seat tube, since seatposts typically have a fairly large range of adjustment, and lengths available.

As philbob57 said, many English bikes seemed to come with 57 cm top tubes, while the French seemed to prefer 59 cm, in my size range anyway (59-62 cm CTT). But lots of makers, especially the custom makers, would fit or suit customer preference.
Old 08-12-18, 10:04 AM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,461 Times in 1,129 Posts
Some of us with long legs and short torsos prefer top tubes that are shorter than seat tubes.
Many small bikes come with longer top tubes as one method of minimizing toe overlay with the front wheel: Not good news if you are a short person with a relatively short torso.
Brent
Old 08-12-18, 10:22 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
I do laugh, "square" geometry was common when the seat tube was measured to the top and the top tube- center to center... so it was not really square was it?

The seat tube measuring convention changed it seems somewhere in the 80's. I blame the Italians.

a 22" ctc top tube is very easy to create a frame without toe clip overlap. even down to 21.5". below that and it required juggling dimensions.
Old 08-12-18, 08:56 PM
letenn 

Bikes: 1989 Cannondale SR400(?)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Thanks for the posts, I was thinking that longer top tube related to more race oriented frame, while shorter top tube was more Mountain bike oriented. However I've seen touring bikes with longer top tubes. I guess if it fits is all that matters...
Old 08-12-18, 09:50 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Very era dependent and somewhat country influenced.
the British seemed for a while were craning out TT , hill climb or Criterium very short wheelbase machines. My '74 Harry Quinn had a wheelbase under 37.5".

later the Italians migrated to short top tubes- think Gios Torino, Pinarello and others- prompted by the FCI.