Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Fitness Aids in Recovery!

Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Old 08-30-18, 05:27 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

I had my 2 week follow up with my hip replacement surgeon today. He removed my incision bandage and staples. I still have substantial swelling over where my hip bounced off the asphalt. He said it really had to be a hard wallop based on how the head was completely broken off the femoral neck plus the outer skin had separated from the fatty tissue next layer. He wants to see if the body will absorb most of the fluid versus trying to evacuate it.

I’ve been fortunate with no pain medications post surgery. I’ve gone from a walker to a cane to walking without a cane. If I don’t try and speed walk my walking range is pretty good. All my PT exercises are pretty easy....

My surgeon did a great job. He used the most resilient materials he had available given my level of activity. He was very complimentary of my current progress and said I was where a lot of his patients strived to be at 6 weeks. I have to think being pretty fit has a lot to do with recovery. I’ve followed a lot of injured high activity people since I started riding and a common theme is folks who are in good shape tend to recover faster. It’s great to experience it first hand.

Below are my before and after X-rays. Note how the head is completely dislocated from the neck. No wonder my leg wasn’t working right after the crash!!
Old 08-30-18, 06:02 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Great news. Titanium to go with your GR260?

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 08-30-18, 07:52 PM
JLDickmon
dollar-store reject

Bikes: one big fat wad of classic Cannondale mtb's

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Uck.. ugly break..
Here's hoping a speedy recovery post-op!
Old 08-31-18, 07:10 AM
DeceptivelySlow

Bikes: Two wheels; multiple gears

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Congrats on the speedy recovery. No doubt fitness is a huge help; irony that the bike caused the issue but the fitness from riding is helping with the recovery. Certainly we all agree the fitness and joy of riding is worth the risk; it still sucks when the risk catches up. I believe in my own case fitness from many miles on the bike has helped get through some difficult health problems.
Old 08-31-18, 07:12 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
@jppe, glad you are recovering but I'm sure we didn't need the photos of your genitals.
Old 09-17-18, 11:14 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,496 Times in 3,008 Posts
I’m recovering ahead of schedule from foot surgery had a tailors bunion removed a foot fissure and a massive growth of fibromatosis removed. I don’t think the surgeon realized what I meant by riding a bike I think he thought lolly gagging around the park or something. I have perfect circulation due to years of cycling which aids in foot recovery. The doctor deals with many diabetics with poor flow to the feet or people in poor health with foot problems. Now I’m not condemning people that are diabetics or have other ailments but the doctor prepares for the worse just in case. I am a believer in staying fit and no doubt you recovery faster if you are in shape. I know stuff can still happen so I consider myself lucky so far.
Old 09-18-18, 06:47 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,448 Times in 1,822 Posts
In other breaking news Fire is Hot!

Glad you are recovering quickly. That was an horrific set of injuries you had there .... you are one tough mofo. Hope you get along well with your new hip ... and glad such tech exists.

Do you wax your new hip joint, use dry lube, Tri-flow?

Hip-lube threads could be the 50+ evolution of chain-lube threads.
Old 09-18-18, 01:33 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Originally Posted by Maelochs
In other breaking news Fire is Hot!

Glad you are recovering quickly. That was an horrific set of injuries you had there .... you are one tough mofo. Hope you get along well with your new hip ... and glad such tech exists.

Do you wax your new hip joint, use dry lube, Tri-flow?

Hip-lube threads could be the 50+ evolution of chain-lube threads.

I’m a Tri-flow guy through and through! It works great on ceramic and polyethylene surfaces!

A new personal best today. I walked 5+ miles two days in a row. Sad, but pre surgery I was doing it 5 days in a row?!?!?!

Old 09-19-18, 05:48 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,448 Times in 1,822 Posts
If you are already walking ... I am in awe. May your speedy recovery continue as it should.
Old 09-19-18, 01:35 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

This has been sitting idle for years. Probably a good transition to my trainer with the more upright position and fairly easy pedaling.

Just waiting on the surgeon’s okay to get on a stationary bike. Next visit is this Friday so keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 09-30-18, 08:10 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,496 Times in 3,008 Posts
Are those you’re toys? I bet there for you’re grandchildren. Did the doctor give you an OK to spin on the trainer?
Old 09-30-18, 09:51 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2424 Post(s)
Liked 1,391 Times in 891 Posts
Moved to P and I from 50+
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 10-01-18, 12:35 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
Are those you’re toys? I bet there for you’re grandchildren. Did the doctor give you an OK to spin on the trainer?
Surgeon gave me the thumbs up for a stationary bike. I told him I would start on this exercise bike and then move over to my trainer at some point.

Toys, there’s no way I can even get down on the floor right now to play with them. But our toy collection continues to grow!!!