Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Beach Cruisers - why do they exist?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Beach Cruisers - why do they exist?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-11, 03:45 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I bought my wife an Electra Townie a few weeks ago (the closest thing in my bunch to a beach cruiser), and I swear, after riding it for two minutes I wanted one of my own. Made me feel like a kid again.

The last time I rode at "the beach" -- actually it was the boardwalk at Ocean City -- my Cannondale road bike felt like the wrong thing to use. The deep saddle-to-bar drop negated most sightseeing, I didn't really have anything to carry stuff (not necessarily the bike's fault), and the clipless pedals weren't exactly boardwalk-friendly. But a Townie, with its laid-back posture and a rack or basket, would have been perfect for that kind of low-speed meandering.
Old 05-01-11, 05:49 PM
johnj2803

Bikes: 93 Specialized Hardrock Ultra (single speed conversion), 2013 Trek Marlin, 2013 Look 566 Ulterga

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I see a lot of beach cruisers in my area (because I am near a beach), I am not sure if it's because of the name of the bike, I have not ridden one, maybe will try one. Those who own beach cruisers are they easier to ride on the beach than say a mountain bike on the sand?
Old 05-02-11, 01:20 PM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by johnj2803
I see a lot of beach cruisers in my area (because I am near a beach), I am not sure if it's because of the name of the bike, I have not ridden one, maybe will try one. Those who own beach cruisers are they easier to ride on the beach than say a mountain bike on the sand?
Yes, somewhat different since the Cruiser will put the rider in a much more comfortable posture.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 05-02-11, 06:58 PM
johnj2803

Bikes: 93 Specialized Hardrock Ultra (single speed conversion), 2013 Trek Marlin, 2013 Look 566 Ulterga

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i noticed that my mountain bike tires sink into the sand. I have the knobby tires, so the cruiser tires will do better
Old 05-03-11, 02:40 PM
bluefoxicy

Bikes: 2010 GT Tachyon 3.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Machka
Why should people get more into cycling, or encourage their friends to do so? Why is that important?
People should NOT get into cycling or encourage their friends to do so, because then we'll have the same thing with that whole "Motor Vehicle" thing all over again: a bunch of idiots that bought a giant Sports Utility Bicycle (SUB) and have no idea how to ride it, but it weighs 105 pounds and has huge tires so they know when they have a collision with other cyclists they'll just plow over them and be safe. They'll even continue to believe they're safer after 80% of the cyclists on the road have SUBs!

And then they'll end up on the sidewalk, and going the wrong way in traffic, and they won't know how to change a tire when it goes flat, and they'll keep riding in the rain without appropriate tires or fenders, without lights or visibility gear, going too fast, while talking on their cell phones and applying make-up...

Not to mention when the parents/government get into it, and then your bicycle has to have airbags!

Old 05-10-11, 02:31 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclaholic
ooooooohh listen to mr "I ride a no-com ergo my fecal excreta is odorless" (yes, I'm jealous and want one... there, I said it, OK? )
LOL - If I told you how much it cost me, you'd *really* go crazy. (Hint: the fork cost more than the frame. Come to think of it, the fork cost more than the rest of the bike.)
Old 03-01-19, 02:27 PM
Deviheart13

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Personal Opinion of My Beach Cruiser Exp

Yeah, I currently own a beach cruiser and have owned beach cruisers for the majority of my life and I can 100% understand where the original poster is coin from.

When I was a kid I had a beacvcruiaer cause I live in California and they are everywhere, but while I loved biking, I struggled hard to figure out why.l, ebcause I hated struggling to get an inch of speed out of the annoying bike that would never see anything other than pavement and sidewalk.
When I became a teen I wanted a faster bike, so I went to Target and because I didn't know the difference and the vast majority of bikes are beach cruisers from what I could tell, I got another beach cruiser and dlfaced the same problem of loving loving getting places a bit faster then walking, but I was always left drenched in sweat an old stayed home rather then going out so I didn't have to explain why I needed a ride when I had a bike. (Because I hated my bike was the answer)
I went a long couple years with the not riding, until I was at my friend's house and they wanted to go to the store. I repuctreluc got on a siblings bik and was surprised how well it road. Was the first time I was ever told that not all bikes are the same. I then got the same bike which I enjoyed for most of college until it was stolen one day and my dad seeking to fix the problem bought me a clbeach cruiser. When check is currently riding out of social obligation only. (I was told by mother to just accept it and save up for a car) I love riding, but having known a bike her than the beach cruiser, I can truly say that I hate it with every fiber of my being and I wish it weren't as popular as it is so that it's not the first thing parents buy their children. (Every oid I knew who had a bike had a beach cruiser, which is I can personally say for myself and some of my friends who I tried to encourage to ride with me, beach cruisers give riding a bad name, none of my friends ever road with me or got a bike because the effort to make a beach cruiser work outside of the beach was not worth the couple extra minutes getting from point A to B.
Old 03-01-19, 02:47 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
^^^ Tl, Dr, not enough spaces

If you live at the beach, life is unhurried ... now you can buy a surfboard rack for your bike too..
Old 03-01-19, 03:33 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
I simply cannot fathom why anybody would be different than me in any way. Why is it that people can enjoy things I wouldn't enjoy? It just doesn't make sense.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 03-01-19, 08:16 PM
calstar 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I simply cannot fathom why anybody would be different than me in any way. Why is it that people can enjoy things I wouldn't enjoy? It just doesn't make sense.
So true (this is an eight yr old thread but well said anyway).

Brian
Old 03-01-19, 09:56 PM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
The only thing I don’t like about beach cruisers is that every bike with upright bars is now deemed a cruiser, not matter what riding characteristics they have.

The are fun on relaxed rides. Did a bike tour in New Orleans on one.
Old 03-01-19, 10:29 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by jade408
The only thing I don’t like about beach cruisers is that every bike with upright bars is now deemed a cruiser, not matter what riding characteristics they have.

The are fun on relaxed rides. Did a bike tour in New Orleans on one.

When I lived in New Orleans in the mid-1980s, I had a cruiser with slick tires. Given the horrible state of the roads at the time and the near total lack of hills, it was probably the most efficient type of bike for the purpose in that era.
Old 03-03-19, 07:03 AM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 403 Posts
Walking and running are less efficient than beach cruisers, but lots of people enjoy riding and walking. Lots of people still like to ride fixies or single-speed bikes, and these are not as efficient as multi-geared road bikes.

The word "beach cruiser" appeared in the late 70's, a new name for a bike which has been around since the 30's. The reason these bikes have been popular for so long is that they are simple, comfortable (for shorter rides), and are easy to ride. The big tires are great for dirt roads, or sand-covered boardwalks, the bars were made wide so one could hang one's newspaper bag on them, and have enough leverage to steer safely.

A hard-tail mountain bike is a lightweight beach cruiser with more gears. All that said, I don't currently own a beach cruiser, though I am on the hunt for one. I now have a home on the beach, so I have a genuine excuse to buy one. Unfortunately, here in Japan a genuine US made Schwinn is hard to come buy, and the Asian copies start rusting literally within 24 hours in the salt air.
Old 03-03-19, 09:10 AM
superpletch
faster downhill

Bikes: more than my wife can keep track of

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
check this out! this cat rode his beach cruiser bike across the country. now that's an accomplishment, I wonder if the TS could ride any bike cross country?

KENNY DO IT - A Cross Country Beach Cruiser Journey for Better Health and Quality of Life - Main
Old 03-03-19, 11:54 AM
Duo
Banned.

Bikes: The Good Book of bicycling

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
Walking and running are less efficient than beach cruisers, but lots of people enjoy riding and walking. Lots of people still like to ride fixies or single-speed bikes, and these are not as efficient as multi-geared road bikes.

The word "beach cruiser" appeared in the late 70's, a new name for a bike which has been around since the 30's. The reason these bikes have been popular for so long is that they are simple, comfortable (for shorter rides), and are easy to ride. The big tires are great for dirt roads, or sand-covered boardwalks, the bars were made wide so one could hang one's newspaper bag on them, and have enough leverage to steer safely.

A hard-tail mountain bike is a lightweight beach cruiser with more gears. All that said, I don't currently own a beach cruiser, though I am on the hunt for one. I now have a home on the beach, so I have a genuine excuse to buy one. Unfortunately, here in Japan a genuine US made Schwinn is hard to come buy, and the Asian copies start rusting literally within 24 hours in the salt air.
ouch! so what do you do, and have popular there? perhaps aluminum and carbon frames?

beach cruisers? well if i lived in the city, probably get a lot of use. for the rest of us, well our rides may go on for many miles and hours. as a kid though, that was all we had. cheap tanks that lasted forever.
Old 03-03-19, 04:23 PM
CodyDog

Bikes: Specialized Vado SL/Trek Fuel EXe

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
When I was surfing back in the day I would have loved to have had a cruiser for my board.

Old 03-22-22, 11:23 PM
FML123

Bikes: 2018 Focus Mares CX 105 // 1984(?) Guerciotti GLX 7600 Super Record // 2021 Giant Stance 27.5” // 2022 Poseidon Redwood

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by NukeouT
I just don't understand why so many people spend money on vintage and new ones to ride them around. I see a whole bunch, especially around the beach towns of LA.

Is there a reason/advantage to having one as opposed to any other type of bike: road, touring, fixie, mountain, ect. ?

My friend, who owns one, even told me the other day that his Beach Cruiser sucks at biking over sand. I just feel, that they are a fad, and people buy them to look cool in front of others. Most importantly, they are not efficient, and lead people to believe that cycling is hard in general. Therefore they don't ride their bikes enough, and are less likely to get more into cycling, or encourage their friends to do so.

This is just my current opinion based on what I know. I am starting this thread so I can better understand why these bikes exist and in such huge numbers. At the same time even though I don't understand it, I am still happy for those of you who ride cruisers, because that's already a step in the right direction and you are free to like what you like.
I think they have a nostalgic appeal for people who rode them as kids in the 1950s, or to people who don’t understand ergonomics, but I don’t know any cycling road bikers or or mountain bikers who own one.
Old 03-23-22, 07:51 AM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 2,964 Times in 1,494 Posts
Dyno glide by Gt

Enough said.

rides better than it looks.
Old 03-23-22, 08:36 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Cheap, dead simple, near-zero maintenance, and people with little cycling experience can ride them easily.

For cruising short distances around a flat beach town (or any flat area), they seem like a no-brainer to me.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 03-23-22, 10:29 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 936 Posts
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 03-23-22, 10:54 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by NukeouT
I just don't understand why so many people spend money on vintage and new ones to ride them around. I see a whole bunch, especially around the beach towns of LA.

Is there a reason/advantage to having one as opposed to any other type of bike: road, touring, fixie, mountain, ect. ?

My friend, who owns one, even told me the other day that his Beach Cruiser sucks at biking over sand. I just feel, that they are a fad, and people buy them to look cool in front of others. Most importantly, they are not efficient, and lead people to believe that cycling is hard in general. Therefore they don't ride their bikes enough, and are less likely to get more into cycling, or encourage their friends to do so.

This is just my current opinion based on what I know. I am starting this thread so I can better understand why these bikes exist and in such huge numbers. At the same time even though I don't understand it, I am still happy for those of you who ride cruisers, because that's already a step in the right direction and you are free to like what you like.
Uh ---------------------- maybe to cruise the beaches. Even living in Nebr, I know that.