Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on a touring bike?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Thoughts on a touring bike?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-19, 08:06 AM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by cobalt123

https://youtu.be/JXyyPrbJvW8
Interesting... never heard of them but I like the specs of the doppler: https://www.breezerbikes.com/bikes/a...pler-team-plus
If you're in Mass. there are quite a few shops that are shown on the Breezer website - but that doesn't always mean they have them on the shop floor.

https://www.breezerbikes.com/wheretobuy

Also, I agree that the Doppler Team is a very good-looking bike with a component list that is attractive. The only thing I would change is the 48-32 crank. A 48T is a little too big (IMO) to do most of my riding (rolling hills) by running up and down the 11-34 cassette. I'll need to shift down to the 32T ring more than I like. Not a huge issue because you do get a 32-34 low gear (moderately low).

My preference would be 39-26 crankset (or something close). With a 39T ring I can do most of a ride without having to shift the front derailleur and I still have some very low gearing for the steepest hills with the smaller ring - and a 39-11 high-end combo still allows you to pedal with a comfortable cadence up to 20+ mph.

You could get an MTB double crankset (39-26, 38-24, 40-28, etc.) and a new bottom bracket (if nec.) for about $125 to $150 with a little searching and your brifter should still be able to properly shift the front derailleur. You would need to move the FD down a little.

Overall the Doppler Team is a solid choice with a decent price - $1749. A good test ride (5 - 10 miles, not just around the parking lot) will be nec.

If price is an issue, the $1049 Radar Expert has a good spec. and you could put fenders and some road-ish tires on it yourself for about $100 - $150.

Old 02-24-19, 06:47 PM
Piperflyer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Most bikes are strong enough to handle you pending wheel sets. Lht is a good choice. Giant revolt is also a sturdy one as well. Too keep weight down on the frame and rims I opt for pulling a bob trailer. (I plan on doing some touring myself this year. )
Old 03-04-19, 01:51 PM
Jimbosays
Let's Ride!

Bikes: Giant Suede (Comfort cruiser - "The Rocking Chair"); Giant Escape 2 (700mm Hybrid - "The S.U.V."); Specialized Secteur Elite (Road Bike - "The Scooter"); Surly Troll (Touring Bike - "Load Up & Go Anywhere")

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Surly Troll . . . Good Heavy Hauler!

Picked up a new Surly Troll a few months ago and loving most everything about . . . 300 lb. rider plus panniers for touring.
Old 03-05-19, 11:11 AM
maletero

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A while ago I was looking at weight limits for various bikes, and found out that gravel bikes just give you the extra tire clearance, but not necessarily the extra frame strength that you might be looking for. Most have the same 250-275 lb posted weight limit as the metal road bikes. Touring bikes are almost universally rated higher, most around 300, as I recall.

There are a bunch of threads on the forums about what the weight limit actually means. But if you really want a bike rated for your weight, I'd tend towards touring rigs.
Old 03-07-19, 07:38 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Given the OP's weight & description of needs..this is not a hard decision..a near no-brainer actually. Re-purpose an older, higher-end mountain bike. Hard-tail, non-suspension fork. The right choice will give you braze-ons for rack & fender attachments, relaxed geometry, 26 inch or 700c(in hybrids), ability to run good-sized road-friendly or trail-friendly tires, gearing is typically a triple-crank that'll get you into the low 20s in gear inches, and there's a bazillion of these bikes available at VERY low cost. If straight bar isn't your thing, then trekking bars are an inexpensive conversion. If drop bars are better..then a few more dollars (and CHEAP compared to some of the options discussed above) will get you there. Shifting..trigger, twist grip, bar-cons, and STI are all possible..whatever you like.

There's tons of starting bike options (see links below), but the 900 series Treks are a good start. There's tons of them out there. Any higher-end make/model is the place to start.

See:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...nversions.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/cyclocros...nversions.html
Old 03-10-19, 04:47 PM
cobalt123

Bikes: Salsa Marrakesh

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
Given the OP's weight & description of needs..this is not a hard decision..a near no-brainer actually. Re-purpose an older, higher-end mountain bike. Hard-tail, non-suspension fork. The right choice will give you braze-ons for rack & fender attachments, relaxed geometry, 26 inch or 700c(in hybrids), ability to run good-sized road-friendly or trail-friendly tires, gearing is typically a triple-crank that'll get you into the low 20s in gear inches, and there's a bazillion of these bikes available at VERY low cost. If straight bar isn't your thing, then trekking bars are an inexpensive conversion. If drop bars are better..then a few more dollars (and CHEAP compared to some of the options discussed above) will get you there. Shifting..trigger, twist grip, bar-cons, and STI are all possible..whatever you like.

There's tons of starting bike options (see links below), but the 900 series Treks are a good start. There's tons of them out there. Any higher-end make/model is the place to start.

See:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...nversions.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/cyclocros...nversions.html
While there is a part of me that likes the idea of doing a build myself... I know me. It will NEVER get done. It will get 85% done and then... life happens.
Old 03-10-19, 06:54 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
While there is a part of me that likes the idea of doing a build myself... I know me. It will NEVER get done. It will get 85% done and then... life happens.
..compared to the $$$ bikes that have been suggested..get done what you can and have a LBS finish it off. You'll have a good bike and still be way ahead.
Old 03-11-19, 05:31 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
A dirt drop conversion is a fun project for someone who enjoys that sort of thing. A lot of time goes into it between sourcing all the parts and putting everything together. Just get a new bike if that's not your thing.
Old 03-17-19, 10:18 PM
Wattsup

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Salsa Vaya, a "light touring" & adventure bike.
Old 03-19-19, 03:52 AM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
Unfortunately the Specialized AWOL is on the way out, it seems. All stock is now exhausted, and there had not been an update of colorways and specs since the 2017 models. I have heard from a few sources that the model is now all but discontinued. Just a heads up to any AWOL owners who are still running the stock wheels, please check the spoke holes in the rims for cracks. It has emerged as a problem common to many AWOL owners, while the spokes and hubs have been a lot less problematic. Another thing to look out for is cracking in the thin piece of metal above the derailleur hanger, as well as in the chainstays. Specialized are honoring warantees, but without a stock of AWOL framesets (they were discontinued for the 2018 year model) Spec are providing Sequoia frame sets instead.

All of the above suggestions are really good, I would go for any of those frames as a fellow clyde. If you're planning to build anything up from a frame, have a look at the new DT Swiss Hybrid components. They're designed for ebikes, but DT Swiss also recognize their utility for loaded touring bikes (and us Clydes). They're slightly more rugged versions of their existing products that would make good replacement wheelsets on a range of bikes.
Old 03-20-19, 11:45 AM
Boyd64

Bikes: Koga Traveller

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After reading the references to the Doppler bikes in this thread (and being 6'2 and 240lb) I thought I'd have a look and see if we have them here in Australia.
Easily bought. I think one of these machines will find it's way into my garage and live happily beside my Merida Big Nine and my Cube Hyde. Thanks for the heads up on these folks.
Boyd