Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Which Garmin HRM strap?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Which Garmin HRM strap?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-19, 08:24 AM
awesomeame

Bikes: 2018 Trek Emonda SL w/Vision metron 40 wheelset, ultegra gruppa. 2010 Intense Tracer VP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Which Garmin HRM strap?

So Garmin sells three HRM straps that are compatible with my Edge 820.

Basic unit $50 CAD
Soft strap unit $75 CAD
Dual transmission unit $100 CAD

I don't really need the dual transmission, so that leaves the first two. Are there any differences between the first two besides the soft strap? Is the soft strap better on the skin than the base model? What are people using/what are your experiences?

Matt
Old 03-15-19, 10:06 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
the soft strap or their premium strap its sometimes called I think is awesome. I have used both and the comfort on the soft strap is excellent! I would go for that. I think its worth the cash!
Old 03-15-19, 12:31 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
If the basic one is plastic, it works great and lasts many years, but it's much less comfortable than your other options. Speaking of which, Garmin makes 3 more that would work with your Edge too. Specialization in the extreme.
Old 03-15-19, 08:23 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
I use the Garmin premium soft strap. Some don't like them and have issues, others don't. I'm on my second strap now. The first lasted six or seven years, more than enough for me. Just rinse it off after every ride. Don't know about up there in Canada, but here in the US I was able to nab my second at Best Buy online for $50 US and pick up in store same day. My son was able to do the same last year.
Old 03-15-19, 08:35 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
the soft strap or their premium strap its sometimes called I think is awesome. I have used both and the comfort on the soft strap is excellent! I would go for that. I think its worth the cash!
Agree 100%.

It may be a case of stating the obvious, but if you are going to throw the strap in the wash, be sure to remove the sensor first.

Depending on your own perspiration patterns, you may only need to wash the strap every 4th ride or so.

One more piece od advice. You will eventually need to change the battery. Unlike other systems that use a twist-off battery cover, the Garmin system uses four, tiny retaining screws. I highly suggest buying a set of small screwdrivers to do the job and avoid damaging the screw head.

These are the ones that I use. You can get them from Amazon.

Good luck.

Old 03-15-19, 08:57 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia

Agree 100%.

It may be a case of stating the obvious, but if you are going to throw the strap in the wash, be sure to remove the sensor first.

Depending on your own perspiration patterns, you may only need to wash the strap every 4th ride or so.

One more piece od advice. You will eventually need to change the battery. Unlike other systems that use a twist-off battery cover, the Garmin system uses four, tiny retaining screws. I highly suggest buying a set of small screwdrivers to do the job and avoid damaging the screw head.

These are the ones that I use. You can get them from Amazon.

Good luck.

Just wanted add a quick note Garmin calls for a phillps #0 for the battery cover. If you go Garmin route get the right screwdriver before you try anything else...I didn't on my first sensor and never again. Everyone complains about the 4 screws but the sensor is pretty darn water tight when installed properly...its a design feature.

I wash my strap every 6 rides.....and I have had my strap now for 3 years. No issues.
Old 03-15-19, 10:37 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
Just wanted add a quick note Garmin calls for a phillps #0 for the battery cover. If you go Garmin route get the right screwdriver before you try anything else...I didn't on my first sensor and never again. Everyone complains about the 4 screws but the sensor is pretty darn water tight when installed properly...its a design feature.

I wash my strap every 6 rides.....and I have had my strap now for 3 years. No issues.
I agree, the seal is very tight. Perspiration does not enter the battery area.

My set of screwdrivers are JIS standards. I am not sure if that makes a difference; the ones made by Moody have a very strong tip and a great grip.
Old 03-16-19, 01:32 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Sometimes I just get right in the shower still wearing mine. Instead of having to wash it separately.
Old 03-16-19, 01:57 AM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Sometimes I just get right in the shower still wearing mine. Instead of having to wash it separately.
Same here.
Old 03-16-19, 10:45 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
that is a very good tip.....thanks don't know why I didn't think of that
Old 03-25-19, 01:31 AM
geoffs

Bikes: Co-Motion Mocha Co-pilot, Habanero custom commuter, Seven Axiom SL, Seven Axiom SLX, Blom Track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I've given up on Garmin straps as I've lost count how many have stopped working between myself and my wife.
We are now using the Wahoo Tickr strap. Lasts longer - about 3 years of regular use and the bluetooth lets it connect directly to our Direto without the need of an ANT dongle thingy