Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

lemond Chambéry parts

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

lemond Chambéry parts

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-19, 09:26 AM
nilpil

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lemond Chambéry parts

Hi

I recently purchased lemond Chambéry road bike on craigslist. The bike frame is good condition. I am planning to use this for the first Olympic triathlon in July. I took the bike to the shop to tune it. Shop essentially asked me to change everything except frame. This is my first foray into any bike racing. Wanted to check if I can replace the chain wheel/chain/gears from some other bike on this. If yes, what information I need to look for?
Old 04-26-19, 09:44 AM
luevelvet

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2019 Trek Domane SL5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
If you're not sure about all of the bits and bobs that go into restoring a used bike into workable condition, then you're really at the mercy of a local bike shop that will recommend and do the work. Some things you can ask to save on costs are, which pieces can be salvaged and which absolutely need to be replaced? It's not uncommon to need to replace cables, brake pads, tires or chain and cassette. You *should* be able to keep the wheels which will save you a great deal if you don't want to break the bank but they may also require a truing which will cost whatever your LBS charges for that routine service (typically nominal compared to a new wheel set).

Ask them what's the minimum they can do to get it road worthy and see what they come back with. Replacing everything except the frame may cost you about as much as a brand new bike these days, if not more!
Old 04-26-19, 02:31 PM
gorillimo

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Specialized Enduro Pro, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 94 Posts
Was that the one on SLO CL? If it was, it was a nice deal.....
Old 04-27-19, 06:25 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
A Chambery is simply not that old. Built for quite a few years in a lot of variations so I don't know what exactly you have. But a quality bike and a serviceable bike. Yes, parts ditribution has become a nightmare and an LBS may have limitations on what they can do. If their only strategy to cope is throwing away everything and starting over you need a new LBS. And perhaps if you have no mechanical ability yourself it would be better to purchase new bikes.