Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What's the most you'll spend on a bike?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-05-19, 10:21 AM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts

As I consider buying a new bike, I find myself in a dilemma...

Knowing the type of bike I want, and all the components that I "must" have, I have found myself thinking...Well, for just a bit more I can have this... and for only another $$$ I can get this... But if I just double that, I can have the ultimate bike of my dreams!

Where do YOU draw the line?

Last edited by one4smoke; 05-05-19 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-05-19, 11:39 AM
luevelvet

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2019 Trek Domane SL5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
There aren’t too many differences when you reach the 2-5k range. Almost anything above that you’ll be paying for marketing and the name badge.

Decide what you want for components and go and test ride a bunch of bikes. Don’t let the price rage dictate how “nice” it feels. Ride them and be honest. Does that one really feel better just because it’s red and not black? You can buy a perfectly good road bike for 2-3K or even less if you’re forgiving on the components etc.
Old 05-05-19, 12:59 PM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If you want a modern top of the line bike like a marine 9 slr it's gonna cost a lot , or a venge disc . If you have the will and cash you will be on one hell of a bike . I like to stay well under 2000 usd for now without bling wheels . It's really down to what you want , but you can always find a cheaper road to get the same result .
Old 05-05-19, 02:04 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
As much as my wife will let me!!

Around 2500 for a complete set up is my max.
Old 05-05-19, 02:24 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts

Before yesterday, I would have said around $5K. Yesterday I bought a Cannondale CAAD 12 for $1400. It has Mavic Aksiums and complete 105. It is totally amazing. The only thing I'd add would be a set of Mavic Ksyrium Elite USTs and if possible I'd love Campy gruppo. But, I could happily live with this bike just as it is.

Last edited by bruce19; 05-06-19 at 07:57 AM.
Old 05-05-19, 02:30 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18395 Post(s)
Liked 15,473 Times in 7,312 Posts
It depends.
Old 05-05-19, 03:18 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
There's no limit to what I'm willing to spend to get what I want, but what I want isn't much. I'm just not worthy of anything too fancy, lightweight, or high tech. Seriously. As a life long Clyde I have no reason to spend any amount of money to save a few grams. I'm not fast either, so spending any money for the purpose of trying to ride faster is a waste. I don't want the burden that comes with anything too glossy, shiny, or pretty. And, I don't care about trying to impress anyone with the latest and greatest tech gadgetry so I have no need for virtually all of the electronics. I will, however, spend generously for quality, durability, and comfort.

As a motorcyclist it's hard for me to look at an expensive bicycle and not think about it in motorcycle terms. $3-5K can buy a decent used sport bike. $6-8K brings the premium used motorcycles and above that opens up the market to motorcycles with capabilities I can't even appreciate. So, what's a slug like me gonna do with a $8K bicycle? Answer: Waste $6K dollars, easy.

I've got about $2K into one of my most expensive bikes, but I've built up a whole bunch of bikes over the years in the $1K+ range. My current 5 bike stable combines to about $5K max and that's based on a retail perspective. The simple truth is that I'm not that great of a cyclist to appreciate the high dollar bikes so I don't blow my money trying to be anything other than an old, slow Clyde. I have a lot of fun buying and selling, tinkering and building, but it all happens at the middle (and lower) end of the market.

-Kedosto
Likes For Kedosto:
Old 05-05-19, 03:24 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 427 Posts
I've done a touch over $600, for a previously-owned unit.

Though, I should say that I've got my eye on a ~$3K new unit made-to-spec. Haven't been able to convince myself the difference would be such that I'd never go back.
Old 05-05-19, 05:28 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
My latest bike is going to be about $10,000. It is a custom bike that is made of steel, hand carved lugs, and will have top of the line components. Of course I am an outlier on the amount of money most people spend on their bikes here on Bike Forums. I have been waiting over 18 months for it to be built so I am itching to have it completed.

My friend has 4 custom bikes at about $10,000 each. He obviously makes way more money than I do and feels that custom is the only way to go. My two other bikes Rivendell and Brompton are production bikes and are cheaper than custom.
Old 05-05-19, 06:11 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Surprisingly, I've never spent more than $750. That said, I've managed to get deals on used road bikes (as well as a new gravel bike), all from lesser known but reliable brands. I've probably put close to $1K in upgrades in my road bike, though, so there's that.

It's a tough question. I had myself convinced that maybe I should splurge on a new road bike for my 40th birthday, but do not think I can justify going above $3K (I don't make a ton of money, or race, and I have other hobbies.) In that range, I can get a drivetrain I'll be happy with, but the wheels will probably need to go (as will the saddle and probably tires, as usual.) It's tempting to go with NOS and build or upgrade myself and get something a bit nicer for the money.
Old 05-05-19, 06:30 PM
88Tempo

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
I paid about a grand for my Surly LHT and it's the only bike I've bought new. I spent quite a bit building an Ogre frame set up with Deore XT but I don't know what the final tab was.

I'm like the other clyde above big and slow so not much point in spending a ton of money on th latest and greatest Once I sell the LHT all my bikes will have been bought used.
Old 05-05-19, 08:37 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Hard to say. I have a 2004 Raleigh Supercourse fitted with mostly 105 and have been having a blast on it lately. It has just under 815 actual miles on it even though I'm the original owner (bought it on clearance on ebay for $650 shipped back when the 2005 models came out).

I don't know what the bike is worth today, but Raleighs from that era don't hold their value at all. All I had to do to get the bike to "fit" was buy a 30 degree 80mm stem and now it's one of my favorite bikes to ride, whereas before it had sat in the garage for over a decade because I felt like I had to reach too far out to ride it.

I guess my point is, I'm not sure spending scads and scads of money would guarantee that I have "more" fun or get "better" exercise than that '04 Supercourse. Some new tires might help, but that was a time when 700x23 tires were the de-facto standard road tire. 700x25 BARELY fits the front fork. 700x26 does not fit.
Old 05-05-19, 09:30 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
The most I've spent for a bike is about a thousand. I don't see myself ever going much over that, even though I most easily could. Spending more just doesn't seem worth it to me. My wife and I are both quite frugal, and it's paid off handsomely. Debt free, well prepared for retirement and we don't have any need for a budget.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 05-05-19, 09:42 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Around $200. In my area there are too many good old pound puppies waiting to be adopted to spend much more. I can't justify spending much more. They're just tools for fun and fitness and I'm not strong enough to see a significant difference in performance.

The only problem with that price point is I see something I want every time I browse the used ads. So many bikes that need only a little TLC.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 05-05-19, 09:55 PM
honcho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts
I've spent the most money on two tandems purchased 16 years apart. $950 in 1997 ($1500 in inflated 2018 dollars) which was a low-end "quality" tandem at the time and $6000 in 2013 ($6600 in 2018 dollars). Both tandems have provided lots of enjoyment though I'm a bit embarrassed to tell people how much the newer bike cost because I don't want people to think cycling is an expensive activity even though many people blanch at the thought of spending more than a couple of hundred dollars on a bicycle. Folks routinely spend more (sometimes much more) money on branded clothes, sneakers, cell phones, dining out and all sorts of things that aren't that important to me. However, I'd probably be very reluctant to spend much more than $6-7k USD for a tandem and probably no more than $2k for a single.
Old 05-05-19, 10:10 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
There's no limit to what I'm willing to spend to get what I want, but what I want isn't much. I'm just not worthy of anything too fancy, lightweight, or high tech. Seriously. As a life long Clyde I have no reason to spend any amount of money to save a few grams. I'm not fast either, so spending any money for the purpose of trying to ride faster is a waste. I don't want the burden that comes with anything too glossy, shiny, or pretty. And, I don't care about trying to impress anyone with the latest and greatest tech gadgetry so I have no need for virtually all of the electronics. I will, however, spend generously for quality, durability, and comfort.

As a motorcyclist it's hard for me to look at an expensive bicycle and not think about it in motorcycle terms. $3-5K can buy a decent used sport bike. $6-8K brings the premium used motorcycles and above that opens up the market to motorcycles with capabilities I can't even appreciate. So, what's a slug like me gonna do with a $8K bicycle? Answer: Waste $6K dollars, easy.

I've got about $2K into one of my most expensive bikes, but I've built up a whole bunch of bikes over the years in the $1K+ range. My current 5 bike stable combines to about $5K max and that's based on a retail perspective. The simple truth is that I'm not that great of a cyclist to appreciate the high dollar bikes so I don't blow my money trying to be anything other than an old, slow Clyde. I have a lot of fun buying and selling, tinkering and building, but it all happens at the middle (and lower) end of the market.

-Kedosto

In all honesty, I'm not worthy either. I'm almost 57, not in the greatest shape, and have a top speed average of about 17 mph at best. I ride when I can, getting in anywhere from 20 to 60 miles on an average ride. I don't even dress the part of most cyclists, preferring mountain bike type shorts and loose jersey over a kit. But, you know what? I enjoy the heck out of riding, and enjoy keeping up with most of the technical advances in equipment right now. Not that the weight aspect of a high dollar bike would do me any good as well, it wouldn't, but I like what I like.

I'd probably look ridiculous as heck on the bike I would really like to have, but I'd be one happy ridiculous looking old man riding it. Well, until I noticed the chunk out of my savings account that is.

Last edited by one4smoke; 05-05-19 at 10:14 PM.
Old 05-06-19, 03:02 AM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Most I've spent is £1500 which gave me what I think is a good spec bike in terms of gears, brakes and weight, after that the return diminishes and as I'm not racing would struggle to justify the extra although could possibly have been tempted if they did a carbon version for another £500 but would probably max out at that level.
Old 05-06-19, 03:06 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
It depends.
This!
Old 05-06-19, 03:24 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
The most that I am willing to spend on a bike is about $ 1600 dollars, that's my limit. I just need something that's basic and simple and I am not interested is paying extra for boutique components and fancy groupsets/
Old 05-06-19, 04:20 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
As I consider buying a new bike, I find myself in a dilemma...

Knowing the type of bike I want, and all the components that I "must" have, I have found myself thinking...Well, for just a bit more I can have this... and for only another $$$ I can get this... But if I just double that, I can have the ultimate bike of my dreams!

Where do YOU draw the line?
Originally Posted by luevelvet
There aren’t too many differences when you reach the 2-5k range. Almost anything above that you’ll be paying for marketing and the name badge.

Decide what you want for components and go and test ride a bunch of bikes. Don’t let the price rage dictate how “nice” it feels. Ride them and be honest. Does that one really feel better just because it’s red and not black?

You can buy a perfectly good road bike for 2-3K or even less if you’re forgiving on the components etc.
I have posted similarly:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...My shopping strategy for something important is to look at the high end (expensive) models first, just to know what’s available and then whittle downwards to find what’s acceptable, the so-called sweet spot of price/value.

I’ve participated in several popcorn threads on BF about the value of “expensive” bikes (I have one), and my last word is "At least I have no buyer's remorse about what I may be missing." .
Whenever I’m asked about buying a bike my questions are what do you want it for, and how much to spend?

IMO bikes of similar quality by brand names stratify in groups of about approximately $US 200 intervals [up about $1500-2000, then the price interval spreads widen.
My own personal experience:
For years, I rode a steel Bridgestone RB-1, costing about $650 down from about $800 as an end-of-year model when I bought it in the early 1980’s. I came to learn it was considered a classic.

After the introduction of carbon fiber bikes, I always wondered if the premium prices of CF, which I considered to be about $2000 was worth the presumed enhanced riding experience.

The Bridgestone was totaled in 2012 in an accident from which I was not sure I would ride again. Well I did, and decided to get a CF. My trusted mechanic said here’s the bike you want, knowing my riding style. Well the MSRP was $8000, but he got it for me at half off

Personally, I can afford it, and it was an offer I could not refuse. Cycling is that important to me and I’m fortunate to be able to continue the lifestyle, so that puts it in perspective for me…
My average speed stayed the same, but I thinkI was hampered by injuries from the accident, and I believe the new bike compensated at least to maintain my average speed. I did note that I was more inclined to sprint (successfully) to beat traffic lights before they turned red.

I further craved the smoothness of the ride, including the shifting,making cycle-commuting more pleasurable. Of greatest benefit, while long (greater than 40 mile) rides took the same amount of time as before, I felt much less tired at the end
Originally Posted by Rowan
Performance in this context does not mean outright speed because that is down to the person riding it and their strength and endurance.

But rather is in the quality of the shifting, braking, ride, handling through corners and over rough surfaces, aerodynamics and (dare I say it) comfort.
PS:
...Now here’s where I’m coming from. I have described myself as a decades-long, year-round lifestyle cyclist, and my favored bike is a high-end carbon fiber bike costing thousands of dollars..

I also have a aluminum beater road bike costing about $1500, and for me that was a minimal road bike, to be used in bad weather.

FWIW, I also have a Giant Escape hybrid bike [no pictures] that I recently bought for rehabilitation, because I was having trouble with my neck and shoulders riding the drop bars.

That bike cost about $600, and IMO was a good value as an all-round bike, certainly more amenable to off-road riding than my expensive carbon fiber road bike, and sturdy for my urban commute on the mean streets of Boston.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-06-19 at 07:18 PM. Reason: added PS and pictures
Old 05-06-19, 07:31 AM
PGHNeil

Bikes: 2003 Trek 4900, 2019 Trek Marlin 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
I think it depends on your level of commitment. For me, I'd say the $1K to $2K range (buying used, of course) is realistic - provided it doesn't spend most of its time hanging in the back of the garage. I think for somebody who rides religiously as part of their fitness regiment should be justified in spending at least $2K. If you commute (and forego an automobile) then the sky's the limit as far as I'm concerned. For someone like me who needs to be motivated I'm content with riding an $800 bike.

All things are relative and open to negotiation in life though so *my* realistic may not be to others close to me. My wife for instance got to set the limit when she offered to buy me a bike last year for my birthday, which was $500. I thought I was being reasonable by keeping it under $1000 but she still balked at first. I justified it as a "step up" from my $600 (in 2002 dollars) bicycle.

That being said, I try to "educate" her on what's reasonable. It's a constant struggle. I'd talked her into spending just over $500 on a bicycle, (which as I previously alluded to she thought was a lot) but in the end she was happy that she did even if she barely rides it. Jogging and fitness classes are her primary forms of exercise and she's already justified the cost of $200 shoes because of comfort issues. I'm trying to get her to ride with me (her chosen form of exercise is starting to take its toll on her joints) and would support her spending over $1000 on her next bike when she realizes that the $500 hybrid is holding her back. She's already looking at gear and I'm going to buy her a set of clipless pedals and shoes either for mother's day or her birthday. I'll try not to spend more than what she spent for the bike lol!
Old 05-06-19, 07:38 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
Although some of the above responses have been a bit illusive and would either like more clarification or depend on certain parameters... I can tell you that at this point in time the bikes that fit my need and satisfy my riding ability fall in around $3500. That would probably be my top dollar out the door limit. I have also seen configurations in the $2500 range that could probably be my "last bike" I would ever purchase.
Old 05-06-19, 07:55 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I spent $5,600 on my last road bike. This is a bike I plan on riding a lot, a workhorse. For a dream road bike, I'd probably be willing to go with custom Ti, Di2 and nice carbon everything, probably $12k-$15k. However, that's a complete "want" rather than "need" scenario. I'd do that for the experience. I see people commuting in stop and go traffic in 911 GT3s, I know people who blow $20K / year at Disney, my friend's wife wears $2,000 shoes to her job as an assistant in a public school. I figure ridiculously overspending on a bike is far from the worst way to blow money.

Also, to those above saying there's no difference between a $2,500 bike and a $5,000 bike... I beg to differ.

Last edited by Hiro11; 05-06-19 at 07:59 AM.
Old 05-06-19, 08:12 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,620 Times in 926 Posts
$8000 all in, after tax.

Custom paint, custom geometry with clearance for 2 inch mtn bike tires, super extended wheel base & sized for my particular proportions in Vari-wall ThermLX tandem tubing, travel package, Rolhoff hub, Gebla Rohbox, SRAM shifters, Velocity 26 inch Dyads, Powertap chainring, Bushnell eccentric, 180mm Icetech rotor front, 180mm disc rear, TRP Spyre calipers.

Yes, purpose built for all roads on all continents with 100 pounds of gear.

(And just to Fred it up a bit, I run flat pedals.)

Rodriguez High Roller UTB Disc, custom geometry by Richard Mozzarella, on Flickr
Likes For base2:
Old 05-06-19, 08:32 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18395 Post(s)
Liked 15,473 Times in 7,312 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
$8000 all in, after tax.

Custom paint, custom geometry with clearance for 2 inch mtn bike tires, super extended wheel base & sized for my particular proportions in Vari-wall ThermLX tandem tubing, travel package, Rolhoff hub, Gebla Rohbox, SRAM shifters, Velocity 26 inch Dyads, Powertap chainring, Bushnell eccentric, 180mm Icetech rotor front, 180mm disc rear, TRP Spyre calipers.

Yes, purpose built for all roads on all continents with 100 pounds of gear.

(And just to Fred it up a bit, I run flat pedals.)
Actually sounds like a good value when you consider an off the shelf Disc Trucker is probably something $1,600 before tax. The S&S couplers installed have to be several hundred dollars alone.

Last edited by indyfabz; 05-06-19 at 08:53 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.