Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

Moving to Gainesville Florida

Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Old 05-10-19, 06:50 PM
sleepyhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We’re planning a move around Gainesville. Which area would be best as a base for road cycling out into the countryside plus the wife wants some utility cycling. We’re considering buying a few acres in the NW near Alachua, south near Micanopy, or east near Lake Newman. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 05-13-19, 01:24 PM
kensuf
My idea of fun

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
Pretty much anywhere in Gainesville will put you no more than 20 minutes from a country road if you know how to get there. I'm technically "in the city" on the north side of town but within 7 minutes of leaving my door I'm in the countryside and within 20 minutes I'm riding by cows.

The Gainesville Cycling Club (Gainesville Cycling Club) has a few group rides, but they don't seem to be as popular as they once were. They do have several route maps for various distances though.
Old 05-15-19, 06:23 AM
Podagrower

Bikes: Giant Defy Composite, Spechialized Ruby (hers), Niner RLT9, Miyata 712, Condor ??

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
Probably a great opportunity to look at the Strava Heat Map. We travel to Reddick once or twice a year to ride around the horsefarms and have lunch in Micanopy. I don't think there is a bad area in your list. I would look at how the area you buy in was impacted by Hurricane Michael in 2017-it was probably a once in 500 year amount of rain. Lots of Payne's Prairie was flooded.
Old 05-19-19, 07:44 AM
mixteup

Bikes: A Few

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 27 Posts
Was down in Gainesville in Feb., and really minimal to no impact from the storm - It was up here, where the real action was ......
I think around G-ville is maybe the most bike friendly area in Florida (If there is such a thing). But the traffic in town can get pretty hectic.

There is also a most excellent co-op in the city :
https://www.thefreewheelproject.org/

Good luck