Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1970s Mondia Special

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-19, 12:13 PM
36Chambers

Bikes: M4 Stumpjumper, 1993 trek 520, soma stanyan, Miyata pro, 1980 bob jackson, 1985 schwinn tempo,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
1970s Mondia Special

I found a pristine 70s Mondia Special. This beauty popped up about 20 minutes from me and I had to have her. I paid 350$. Universal center pulls (black anodized?) univeral levers also black.

Campy nuovo record front and rear derailleur. Campy Nuovo Record crankset, chain rings are black and the teeth are 50/39. bb/headset campy, nervex lugs. Cinelli bars and stem. The bike was used as an indoor trainer and never saw any mileage outside. At least that is what I was told. Hubs are phil woods and they look tremendous. High flange and gorgeous. Has suntour bar end ratchet shifters. cloth bar tape is is great condition. seat post is a campagnolo 26.4 black anodized. The bike has some dust and grim on it, but no dents, dings or even scratches in the paint. The bike looks amazing. I love collecting vintage bikes. I have too many.
I love the look of the whole bike, but I do not like the idea of having to find french threaded replacement parts. I am going to keep the wheels and the seat post. They are just took beautiful. I bought the bike for the wheels. The rims are super champion and they are laced to phil wood hubs and I am going to use these as my new touring wheels. rims are 27 1 1/4. Anyway, if you guys can help me out and let me know what you think this bad boy is worth that would be great. I am going to put on some normandie high flange wheels I took from a raleigh super grand prix and I have a fluted SR seat post with a basic seat. The seat that is on it now if a vintage racing saddle. No cushion, but well made. this is a very clean bike. the pinstriping is beautiful.

I tend to stay away from french bikes for compatibility reasons. However, maybe this is not french threaded. I am assuming it is.

I am in San Diego and the market can gets nuts. Recently I have noticed that the vintage bike market has taken a tiny dip. Any thoughts on the value after I replace the hubs and seat post would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-17-19, 12:56 PM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 111 Posts
$350??? You are a THIEF!!!
Old 05-17-19, 05:00 PM
marius.suiram 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 110 Posts
I had the same color scheme on a Mondia a couple of years ago. I don't remeber exactly the components it had, but the frame was rusty. I cleaned it pretty nice. It was posted here on the forum.
I sold it for 500$. Actually i sold it two times.
The buyer came after half year and trade it for a Centurion and after one week he came again and bought it second time. !?!???!!
I had another one and sold it at the same price.
Old 05-17-19, 08:25 PM
36Chambers

Bikes: M4 Stumpjumper, 1993 trek 520, soma stanyan, Miyata pro, 1980 bob jackson, 1985 schwinn tempo,

Yeah. I almost want to keep it just to put it up on the wall. I can stare at the lugs all day long.
Old 05-18-19, 06:53 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
Not 50/39 if Nuovo Record. Could be either French or Swiss threading. Post on the regular C&V thread and someone is sure to have knowledge year to year. French heads and brackets are not that hard to find or expensive, there is simply a type of owner who gets over-excited about the slight additional effort. Now Swiss brackets could be harder, so take good care of what you have. Campy BBs and heads can die very quick if badly installed or be near permanent when well adjusted.

Are those Weinmann brake levers? Sure look it. Never saw those in black ano and it all matches.
Old 05-18-19, 10:16 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
Nice Bike! You will love it. I got one a few years ago that was found in a storage locker here in Southern California . The guy did not know anything about bikes so I bid on it , using 300 as my max bid on EBay. I would have paid a lot more , but I wasn't able to inspect the bike. I got it for $270($50 shipping) and it turned out to be my size(25") and all the original parts were still on it. Even the Brooks Pro saddle was fine. Campy high flange hubs laced to 27" Wienmen wheels. I am running 1 1/4" wide Michelin tires that check over 1 3/8" after inflated and they clear the frame! It is a 1972 and I would not sell that bike, it rides too well. The chrome still had the clear coat on it so no pitting at all. They are truly works of art. Be sure to register on Classic Rendevous , they have quite a few beauties on their site. I would think in good shape these are worth north of $500,IMHO. Joe joesvintageroadbikes.wordpress
1973 Super Mondia, since this photo I put some Campy Superleggeri Ti spindle pedals
Old 05-18-19, 07:52 PM
36Chambers

beautiful bike. love the high flange hubs.
Old 05-18-19, 07:54 PM
36Chambers

They might be weinmann levers, but they match so well to the univeral center pulls that I figured they are universal. There is no makers mark on the levers.
Old 05-19-19, 08:06 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
The better the paint and chrome the better the price. Previous owner customized it- OEM were Mafac brakes. Obviously custom wheels. Look like possibly early Phil hubs- 1971-72.
english threading on those.
only real issue will be finding a French stem if diff length needed.
i looked keenly at those when shopping for my first road bike in 1972. Would have taken almost another year to save for one. I had saved long enough.
long wheelbase- tubulars were original.
you can harvest the nice wheels and saddle and still sell it reasonably quick for $550 locally maybe more - the vintage market is weak at present- keep that in mind.
Old 05-19-19, 06:10 PM
36Chambers

I have noticed that the vintage market has slipped. The paint on the bike is wonderful. It is almost perfect. I do agree that there were some mods. the black anodized kind of follows a theme with the bike. the brakes the crank and even the derailleur have black on them. Looks cool. I have it for sale for 500. I will let you guys know how I do. I am pretty sure it will sell the closer we get to summer.
Old 05-23-19, 08:52 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Loved the paint schemes on those bikes and, like Repechage, I looked at them too for my first road by in '72, but had to settle for a PX-10 for money reasons. Not enough of it.
Did you get it from the original owner? Someone loved that bike, caring for it well, and taking the time and expense to add those blackened parts. But maybe those were added later. Interesting the bars are anodized but not the stem. Is the stem a Cinelli 1A? Looks it but can't quite tell.
Those in French size are tough to come by.

Neat bike.