Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Just, wow.

Old 05-25-19, 06:21 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 801 Times in 390 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
Sorry, the utterly banal is quickly passed over w/o a thought.

To be truly Ignore-able takes a deep and dedicated commitment to deliberate troll-ish divisiveness, being an obvious poisonous sock-puppet, complete ignorance of the topic at hand as well as a fanatic commitment to that ignorance, deliberate ill-feeling, personal animosity, repeated posting on the same old diatribe over and yet over again and yet over again, long winded pointless endless incoherent/un-readable rambles as well as full blown 41-ism and/or being a member of the C&V Period Correct Police.

And yet 43 so far......not so bad, considering.

-Bandera
Always among the most entertaining and quotable on the forum. hahaha Perfect.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 05-25-19, 06:50 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
Sorry, the utterly banal is quickly passed over w/o a thought.

To be truly Ignore-able takes a deep and dedicated commitment to deliberate troll-ish divisiveness, being an obvious poisonous sock-puppet, complete ignorance of the topic at hand as well as a fanatic commitment to that ignorance, deliberate ill-feeling, personal animosity, repeated posting on the same old diatribe over and yet over again and yet over again, long winded pointless endless incoherent/un-readable rambles as well as full blown 41-ism and/or being a member of the C&V Period Correct Police.

And yet 43 so far......not so bad, considering.

-Bandera
Man, I've got some work to do. 41 and C&V sound like too much work.
But did I ever tell you about my water cage bolt collection?

Old 05-25-19, 07:24 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by markwesti
It's not that wonderful , you put the persons name on it but you still see the persons name just not the post .

And ...

Originally Posted by Machka
Putting a person on the ignore list means that when you read a thread, you don't see their responses ... unless someone else quotes them. So if the OP had you on ignore, he would not see your post, but he would see it here because I quoted you.

So if you suspect that someone has another person on ignore ... quote the "ignored" person. That way the person who put that person on ignore won't miss out on the ignored person's thread.
Old 05-25-19, 08:46 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeme
This forum seems to have a few know-it-all, snarky bullies on it that make it unpleasant to use. It's no surprise, forums of all topics have them. In response, I will no longer engage them and instead try to be nice, encouraging, and helpful to others.
I think it’s important to remember that just about everything you read on a forum - of any subject - is opinion. There’s very little real, honest to goodness factual information.

There’s no shortage of highly opinionated jacktards around here, and there’s a few who are quick to bully anyone daring to disagree with their strongly held opinions. But, in the end, they’re just opinionated bullies sitting at a keyboard.

As far as the ignore feature is concerned, I don’t ignore the opinionated jerks as even they can at least offer a viewpoint I might want to hear. Just because I might not agree with the opinion of a keyboard jacktard, doesn’t mean they may not have a point.

I do ignore two people. One, whose posts appear to be drunken ramblings mostly influenced by their level of intoxication. And two, a probably decent guy who may actually have something to contribute but I can’t appreciate it due to a penchant for nesting quotes into a virtually unreadable mess. Both are harmless but annoying and since this is something I engage in on my terms, well, that’s how it goes.

Good on you for recognizing the dynamic. It’s best not to engage with the toxic, but beware they’re often difficult to avoid.

-Kedosto
Old 05-25-19, 09:37 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Originally Posted by Mad Honk
Hillyman,
As a long time resident in Bloomington, you likely know me. Worked at the Bike Garage and just about every other shop in town. I still have the painting from the 1991 ride hanging on the wall of my front room. PM me off line, would like to find out more about you. Smiles, MH
sorry I don't live in Bloomington. Only traveled there for several Hillys and to see Dalai Lama once at University. Love the area tho.

Old 05-26-19, 05:57 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2133 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto

I do ignore two people. One, whose posts appear to be drunken ramblings mostly influenced by their level of intoxication. And two, a probably decent guy who may actually have something to contribute but I can’t appreciate it due to a penchant for nesting quotes into a virtually unreadable mess. Both are harmless but annoying and since this is something I engage in on my terms, well, that’s how it goes.

-Kedosto
I don't have those two on ignore, but I have conditioned myself to breeze right past their posts. It's unfortunate too because one of them is a good and knowledgeable guy. I simply can't force myself to suffer the style. I have two on ignore here and that's just to keep me from accidentally responding thinking there's a conversation to be had. Once I know someone has no inclination whatsoever to engage in meaningful dialogue, I am done with them. In one case a video was posted of a guy getting hit by a cop. The video didn't tell the whole story. I offered a possible explanation for the rider's behavior. One member argued that it was ridiculous for me to offer that as an explanation. Lo and behold the rider who was hit registered for the forum. He explained the situation just as I had. The antagonist argued with him about what he actually saw. At that point he was shuffled to ignore. The other on my ignore list is similarly obsitnate.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 05-26-19, 08:08 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
My ignore list = no one. It's not difficult to ignore a post/thread.

I'm not sure the ignore list really works anyway. A member upset with one of my posts once told me I was relegated to his ignore list. It wasn't all that long until I noticed he was quoting and replying to me.
Old 05-26-19, 08:26 AM
GailT

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
I think it’s important to remember that just about everything you read on a forum - of any subject - is opinion. There’s very little real, honest to goodness factual information.

Yeah, that's partly true, but then there are people like T-mar, a walking encyclopedia of cycling expertise and history, who make it worthwhile. It's worth putting up with the dross to benefit from the adults in the forum who are willing to share their expertise.
Likes For GailT:
Old 05-26-19, 08:38 AM
Lucillle
Lucille

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
There's a number of topics that have been thoroughly hashed, and re-hashed, digested and even excreted several times.
There are endless threads about saddles for instance. If people would take the time to do a search that would most likely answer their questions. If a member here has spent time and effort on a beautiful, informative reply, but the next person who asks that question two hours from now wants a personal spoon fed answer of the exact same information instead of taking a minute on a search, I can see how that could be irritating.

If one does an internet search on bullies, one piece of advice is not to engage them. However, there is a HUGE difference between simply not engaging them and when you see their posts, SOB (Scroll On By), which is just about always effective because the bully is not getting any satisfaction from his bait, and creating a thread like this which is like waving a steak in front of a starving dog, TELLING them you are not engaging them, begging them to come get your meat.
Old 05-26-19, 08:47 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by bakerjw
Seconded. I have several people on ignore.
I never put people on ignore. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if I dont agree with them.
Old 05-26-19, 09:07 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 413 Posts
The "Wow" part of this thread (to me anyway) is how quickly it went from the OP to its 4th page in just about 36 hours. Holy moly.

Dan
Old 05-26-19, 10:06 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
My ignore list = no one. It's not difficult to ignore a post/thread.
yeah, i give everyone a chance to accidentally say something worthwhile, even the trolls and idiots ... you never know when they might find the acorn ... or unearth some comedy gold.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 05-26-19, 10:52 AM
BKE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
The "Wow" part of this thread (to me anyway) is how quickly it went from the OP to its 4th page in just about 36 hours. Holy moly.

Dan
Just very well planned, and timed perfectly. A three day weekend due to the holiday, with lots making it a 4 day. Larger audience than usual. This BikeMe person is pretty slick !(now where's that sarcasm font)
Old 05-26-19, 11:13 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Dan
But not as riveting as How many pairs of cycling shorts do you have?

Old 05-26-19, 12:09 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 1,040 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
yeah, i give everyone a chance to accidentally say something worthwhile, even the trolls and idiots ... you never know when they might find the acorn ... or unearth some comedy gold.
It is even possible that a verbose pontificator who posts numerous paragraphs per post that are variations on a platitude might unearth a nugget of truth that hasn't already been posted a dozen times.
Old 05-26-19, 02:54 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
It is even possible that a verbose pontificator who posts numerous paragraphs per post that are variations on a platitude might unearth a nugget of truth that hasn't already been posted a dozen times.
You likely wouldn't recognize it if I did .... but even you, get more chances ....
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 05-26-19, 09:57 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
The appeal derives from the same pompous attitude that drives announcing the poster's alleged astuteness by being the first to post "****" or the popcorn eating smilie on threads in which they have nothing to offer. Somewhat related to the tendency by some of the same posters to shout "troll" at those they suspect of unworthy contributions to BF.
You might consider eating some popcorn. A little fiber in your diet might improve your disposition.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-26-19, 10:14 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by JW Fas
I never understood the appeal of announcing to the world you're no longer participating. Just disappear gracefully. Why make a big song and dance over it? Is it so you can inevitably get roasted and haughtily declare, "See? I'm right!"?
OP didn't say they were no longer participating. He/she said they would no longer engage with bullies, and would instead try to be nice. Quite a big difference there.
Old 05-27-19, 04:40 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

There’s no shortage of highly opinionated jacktards around here, and there’s a few who are quick to bully anyone daring to disagree with their strongly held opinions. But, in the end, they’re just opinionated bullies sitting at a keyboard.

As far as the ignore feature is concerned, I don’t ignore the opinionated jerks as even they can at least offer a viewpoint I might want to hear. Just because I might not agree with the opinion of a keyboard jacktard, doesn’t mean they may not have a point.

Good on you for recognizing the dynamic. It’s best not to engage with the toxic, but beware they’re often difficult to avoid.
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I don't have those two on ignore, but I have conditioned myself to breeze right past their posts. It's unfortunate too because one of them is a good and knowledgeable guy. I simply can't force myself to suffer the style.

I have two on ignore here and that's just to keep me from accidentally responding thinking there's a conversation to be had. Once I know someone has no inclination whatsoever to engage in meaningful dialogue, I am done with them...
You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? Then who the hell else are you talkin' to? You talkin' to me? Well, I'm the only one here[who fits that description]. Who do you think you're talking to? Oh, yeah? Ok...

"The name is Boston…Jim from Boston.”

In the past 10 years subscribing to BikeForums with over 6500 posts, I have read several such critiques as above, usually started by one subscriber, followed by about 2 or 3 syncophants. I suppose I should revel in my notoriety, as in the manner, "I don't care what the newspapers say about me as long as they spell my name right."

In those instances over the years, I have tried to explain my posting style, accumulating various explanations in my justification. Of course all are explained with the use of quote boxes. My last and most comprehensive attempt, was totally dissed (links) by @mstateglfr.

Maybe no one reads far enough into my posts to get to my signature line explaining my style. “
I use nested, sequential quotes (to be read in that order) to improvise an imaginary conversation. Anything outside a quote box is my contribution to the current ‘conversation.’ “

So, in the following post, FWIW, I have re-written that last attempt, totally devoid of quote boxes, only paraphrasing other subscribers (depriving them of the recognition and appreciation of their contributions). I think a quote or mention is as much of a kudo as a LIKE, since it is conspicuous and is viewed by a wider audience than just the author and those who actually view the LIKED post.

I would like to reply now though, specifically to the above-quoted posts about “a probably decent guy who may actually have something to contribute but I can’t appreciate it due to a penchant for nesting quotes into a virtually unreadable mess…a good and knowledgeable guy” who “has no inclination whatsoever to engage in meaningful dialogue.”

My correspondence style is exemplified by a recent thread started by @Paul Barnard. I replied to his Opening Post, quoting (links) three other subscribers, PB himself twice, and myself twice from other threads with comments germane to his OP. Now, how is such inclusive quoting a disinclination to engage in meaningful dialogue?

Indeed IMO, when I quote, it indicates that I have read, and considered the author's position, and now I'm responding….a Dialogue / Conversation… I just do it among a group of presumably interested subscribers, rather than a single confidant.

In any case for readers who prefer short pithy posts, to Keep It Simple, this was a most memorable critique of my style:
Originally Posted by TruthBomb
It’s visual diarrhea, pollutes any thread, and is the opposite of succinct (briefly and clearly expressed)...
Originally Posted by chefisaac
[…but] LISTEN to @Jim from Boston

he knows his $hit!

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-27-19 at 05:01 AM.
Old 05-27-19, 04:48 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
ɅɅɅɅ

I have been an avid cyclist, as a lifestyle since about 1972. I happened serendipitously on Bike Forums in 2008, and it was frankly incredible to find a community that shared so many concerns I had kept to myself as a lone cyclist.

This enthusiasm has definitely increased my enjoyment of cycling. As far as improving it, what I have gotten directly from BF include the opportunity to post and literally "journal" my thoughts and activities about cycling and lifestyle (even if nobody else reads them), but which I wouldn't write down otherwise. Posting has become an avocation for me and beside the exchange of information and ideas, I enjoy the mechanics of writing.

So with my experiences in cycling, and my frequent posting over the years, if I have replied on a recurrent topic, written to my satisfaction, I’ll just quote it. A further challenge then becomes finding the post. I use ellipses,"..." to eliminate as much as possible, and still leave the context of the quote comprehensible; and I underline, bold, or italicize key words and phrases to emphasize the core content of the discussion.

Furthermore, while even if nobody reads my posts, I do try to communicate clearly to the reader. At least I try to evenly space, and keep my paragraphs short for easier readability, FWIW

Now, if you have read so far, here’s my intent. Part of the reason I like forums as opposed to other forms of written communal internet forms is because I consider it the "long deep conversation format" rather than the quick short snappy sound bite-like format like Twitter and such. So when I nest quotes, I feel I’m emulating a conversation…”He said," then “You said," then “I said, and now I’m saying…”

I leave my quotes as links to identify the author, and if anyone is interested in reading further, or verifying those quotes, they can easily be followed right from my post, like using footnotes in a manuscript.

In factrather than just self-indulgent and convoluted scripting, my posts are really performance art. I think that the use of quote boxes, which I have not seen elsewhere is a remarkable way to graphically diagram a dialogue and a succinct way to capture the variety of a topic. In addition, I try to liberally use links, rather than quote boxes, for “sidebar” items, to simplify the format of a post.

Personally for me, as a diversion, it’ s challenging to find the quotes in prior threads, and to arrange them in a sequence that makes sense (to me at least). Since my posts are “chapters” in my Journal, it’s worthwhile for me to periodically re-read and reflect.

Besides my own enjoyment, Bike Forums may be the better for all those (nested) quotes. Mentions/quote notification should be #1 priority. It generates more use; not that more people possibly view my profile, but some of us actually like to communicate with each other. Quotes and mentions are a great tool for doing that, also for moving discussions forward within a large and diverse thread. Just look how often quotes have been used to further discussions, as opposed to random, disjointed replies to an OP.

Those who get e-mail notification of quotes and mentions are more likely to come back more frequently because their interest has been piqued to wonder what people are saying about their comments, not that they just want look at the profiles of people. And mentioning [and quoting] someone draws their attention to the thread in which they've been mentioned, which they might not otherwise visit, again bringing up the number of visits. More page views => more revenue.

For example in one instance I quoted 12 other subscribers in one thread, and on one morning before 7:30 AM I counted I had quoted 10 others on six different threads.

Anyways, regarding clarity I took a course in oral communication and was introduced to the sender-receivermodel of communication in which the sender transmits a message and the receiver interprets it and provides feedback to the sender to ensure the accuracy of the message; indeed, it is the receiver who completes the communication event.

As a Famous Writer wrote, ”If I had more time, I would have written a shorter letter.” I only read the threads and posts that interest me. If I'm particularly interested in the content then I'm motivated to read no matter how long. It takes some time to write a properly composed long post, and I take my chances that my expenditure of time might connect with another interested reader.

I think I have absorbed all the good advice I can for a complete and agreeable cycling lifestyle, and recently I have clicked on many fewer threads than before. In the past I have offered IMO several useful suggestions about cycling, particularly for winter and urban cycling, to multiple repetitive threads. They are usually lost in the morass of often scores of replies, both in agreement and dispute with mine.

I’m not especially motivated to read or write about rides in areas I will never visit, or bikes I would not buy. Other cyclists’ biking stories are often meaningful to me, but usually not consequential enough for a reply. Frankly, now my main enjoyment, besides posting, is reading the personal clashes (like this present one) on the various threads, such as: "I work with a moron", or ”How often do you check your mirror?.”
Old 05-27-19, 04:54 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts

Dan
Everybody loves a good car crash....
Old 05-27-19, 05:09 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
This thread is actually a bit on point for me today. I was looking back on an old thread where I was trying to link up a manufacturer of bike intercoms with hopefully people who wanted free ones in exchange a bit of promoting said intercoms while they were touring. Basically a few hundred bucks of equipment just for talking to people and posting pictures, which you do on tour anyway. The first 5 posts or so were by people who didn't want an intercom because they rode alone and thought they were a stupid idea anyway and whatever came into to their heads. I mean why even say anything if you aren't interested. So frustrating, ended up swamping the thread, I gave up and nobody got the swag!
Old 05-27-19, 05:15 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
The ignore list is a wonderful thing.
I wonder if the mods can see who is being ignored the most. Might be that a message needs to go to them. (waiting for my message).
Old 05-27-19, 05:21 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,377 Times in 2,729 Posts
Performance art Look at me, Mom, look at me.....
Old 05-27-19, 07:18 AM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Performance art Look at me, Mom, look at me.....
yes .... Gym frum Bostin is indeed a text artist. This matter has been discussed (he will surely have the quotes to prove it.)

But every one of us posts here to be seen by others. Every one of us wants to get a lot of reactions, and hopefully positive, but some reaction. No one posts here for any other reason than to have his or her posts noticed. If a person didn't wan his or her post to be notices, he or she wouldn't post.

Yes, some posters have unique styles .. and/or colorful avatars ... but we are all here posting to be noticed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.