Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

New bike - Steel Bianchi Vigorelli

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

New bike - Steel Bianchi Vigorelli

Old 03-07-14, 04:33 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
just wear your best short with that bonty saddle and your off for a long ride tomorrow Look forward to the strava feed
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 03-07-14, 04:41 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
Have my team ride tomorrow up to Portola (about 40 miles)...But I do think riding it is in order. Just need to put my speed/cadence sensor and Garmin mount on it from my hybrid.

BTW...my hybrid is going up on Craig's list SOON as I have no real need for it now.
Old 03-07-14, 05:01 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
Originally Posted by Beachgrad05
Have my team ride tomorrow up to Portola (about 40 miles)...But I do think riding it is in order. Just need to put my speed/cadence sensor and Garmin mount on it from my hybrid.
you kinda learn to fit in the extra miles......my club ride is tomorrow as well, but they ride only 45-50mi. So I time trail the 23miles to the start, do the club ride, then whatever route I limp back home to pending energy levels and time limits w/ wifey. I aim to be home between 1-3pm. Doesn't matter if I start at 6:30am or 11am, cut off the is the same. So it becomes how many miles can I cram in there and still able to walk around and go shopping later with my family. Usually it's a 85mile minimum if I leave on time (7:15), 60-70 of it at as pace I don't control, the rest is recovery and sight seeing
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 03-07-14, 05:23 PM
Zoxe

Bikes: Giant Cypress DX, Bianchi Imola, Surly Cross Check 105, Twin6 Standard TI FSU

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 22 Posts
Congrats on the new ride!

I don't consider myself part of the Bianchi cult but do enjoy my 2009 Imola greatly. If I were to do it over, I'd buy it again.
Old 03-07-14, 05:35 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Thanks @Zoxe. The shop I ride out of sells Bianchi. The owner owns the Imola and so does one of our team. Another team member has the Vigorelli and she loves it. I already have a Carbon bike and was looking for a second bike for various reasons and felt if there was something the shop had I like, I'd go that route. She has an aluminum bike that I liked too but no carbon fork like the Vigorelli has plus my Madone is mostly black...throw in I have quite a bit of stuff with "celeste" thanks to shop team kits and such....this bike just seemed right. I was really excited mostly tho by fact I was able to support the shop with a major purchase.
Old 03-08-14, 09:04 AM
Zoxe

Bikes: Giant Cypress DX, Bianchi Imola, Surly Cross Check 105, Twin6 Standard TI FSU

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 22 Posts
Speaking of supporting the LBS: We will be departing in a few minutes for ours to talk to them about a new ride for Mrs. Zoxe. One of the options on the table is the Bianchi steel line. Looking more towards the Volpe for the triple crank and larger tires down the road (tons of chip n' seal and potholes around us - after this winter, our roads look like the Armored Cav has been training here).

I told her about your Vigorelli in Celeste, and she says it's very pretty.

Not to turn this into a picture thread, but here's my Imola in current form. The Boyd wheels are new for this year. Only 2 rides so far, but I love 'em. The old factory wheels were always tough to mount tires on - usually involved 45 minutes of playing bloody knuckles and swearing.

Old 03-08-14, 10:15 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Pics are always welcome! Beautiful ride

Here I am with my new ride
Old 03-09-14, 06:38 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Pics are always welcome! Beautiful ride

Here I am with my new ride
OK, review time. 2 rides is sufficient.
Old 03-09-14, 07:00 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Took the new bike to Rivers End in Seal Beach today. Took a different way there as it was windy and so figured it might be less bothersome on streets than on the river trail.

At Rivers End

View of top tube while pedaling:

Review:
Very comfortable ride quality. Between the frame and carbon fork and the size 25 tires...bumps I feel on my Madone are smoothed out. I am riding the Fizik Vesta test saddle while I wait for my ordered one to arrive. Only change I will make eventually is the bars to get a shallow drop.

I put the Trek on the trainer:

Reasons for this bike on trainer:
1. It has the speed/cadence sensor so can track miles on trainer.
2. My only headlight fits the new bike's bars not the Trek's. And want to do the Wed evening ride that starts this week at The Unlikely Cyclist...and lights are needed.
Old 03-23-15, 03:25 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

I sold the Bianchi a few weeks back to a lady doing the AIDS Lifecycle. With the addition of the Domane to my bike collection, I was "forced" to part with one of my bikes. I was never fully comfortable on the Bianchi despite setting up with my fit measurements. Not sure why but my lower back and hips were more problematic when riding the Bianchi...so it was the choice to go. Kept the Madone. Was sad to part with the Bianchi but I had to be realistic as to what good it was doing me holding on to it if it was not going to get ridden much. I could have turned it into a completely dedicated trainer bike but that would be a waste too.
Old 03-25-15, 05:00 AM
unabowler

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek FX

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will eventually upgrade the road bike I'm riding, and for some reason I've got the idea that steel would be a good way to go. If this is a bike you couldn't get comfortable on in a year I'll scratch it from my list or put it on the list of things to keep away from.
Old 03-25-15, 03:44 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Originally Posted by unabowler
I will eventually upgrade the road bike I'm riding, and for some reason I've got the idea that steel would be a good way to go. If this is a bike you couldn't get comfortable on in a year I'll scratch it from my list or put it on the list of things to keep away from.
The geometry just may have been off for me. I have a hip condition that seemed to bother me more on this bike. I think it had more to do with me and my physiology than the bike. I also did not get a fitting done with it...I used measurements from my fit on Madone and maybe that was the wrong thing to do. When I had three bikes and one needed to go I went with the heaviest of the bunch and the one I felt least connected to. I don't blame the bike for my shortcomings.
Old 03-27-19, 01:53 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

The geometry just may have been off for me. I have a hip condition that seemed to bother me more on this bike. I think it had more to do with me and my physiology than the bike. I also did not get a fitting done with it...I used measurements from my fit on Madone and maybe that was the wrong thing to do. When I had three bikes and one needed to go I went with the heaviest of the bunch and the one I felt least connected to. I don't blame the bike for my shortcomings.
Zombie thread post.

I recently purchased another Vigorelli. It has a shaped downtube whuch is different than the previous one I had. I am using for my commute. Brakes suck so the ultegra brakes off Madone will be put on it shortly. Need shifting adjusted as it won’t shift into big ring. Guess the mechanic at shop didn’t complete build tasks.

Old 03-27-19, 02:00 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Sold my hybrid this weekend too. Got $180 for it. Threw in the trunk bag since I don’t need. Not putting rear rack on Bianchi.

Sadly my weight has ballooned and I look more like this than I like.

Photo night before selling. 2011 Trek FX 7.2 WSD
Old 04-11-19, 04:09 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

So I have been using the Bianchi to commute on. I put the Specialized Power saddle on it and replaced the stock a** hatchet. LOL I am feeling comfortable with the 90mm stem which was stock. Tho I had Lisa at The Unlikely Cyclist put a different one on than the one that it came with. I was going to have her replace the stock crap brakes with my Ultegra brakes that were on the Madone. But I forgot two pieces needed in my parts box so I'm still dealing with the crappy brakes that don't stop all that well. I hope I never have to stop in a panic quickly because these brakes won't do it. I put flat pedals on it and am riding in my sneakers instead of clipping in for my 6 mile commute (each way). I tried wearing my liners under shorts but quickly went back to my bibs as I hate how shorts roll on me. I may rethink putting a rack on the Bianchi but for now back pack is doing trick. My shoulder is still healing and I definitely feel certain movements painfully. Pulling on the bars after stopping at a light to get going is one that is slightly uncomfortable so have been sitting and powering thru with pedals instead of standing and pulling on the bars to help develop momentum. I will be eventually also replacing the stock bars with bars that are on my Emonda (when I finally get around to putting my carbon bars on it).

Outside office

Inside - my bike has a better cubicle than I do. Haha

Good shot of saddle

On overpass over 605

Last edited by Beachgrad05; 04-11-19 at 04:27 PM.
Old 04-19-19, 02:02 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2302 Post(s)
Liked 2,736 Times in 1,497 Posts
nice

if you can't get to the ultegra brakes, think about new brake pads.

It does look like the bike has mounts for a nice rack installation should you ever want to. I personally prefer racks, but using back pack as I am not putting a rack on the De Rosa or the Team Miayata

an option i like for commuting is double side flat/spd pedals I think I still get more efficiency clipped in. (weekends i put the spd-sl pedals on )

commuting rocks

Old 06-15-19, 10:41 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

I have put 346 miles on the Bianchi now. All commute or circles in my neighborhood in April when I was doing 30 days of biking and would take for a lap of my neighborhood the days I didn’t commute or do a group ride/event.

Put the Ultegra brakes on and that helped. Tho they still feel different than when on Madone. Maybe pads need changed.

My shoulder is finally feeling more normal too.

Still need to put new bars on. Need compact (?) for less drop from hoods to drops.