Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Old 06-20-19, 01:07 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Here is a sunny outside pic. Blue, purple, you decide. I threw in some blue stuff for reference.

Yup, purple is tricky to photograph. Even color film sometimes got it wrong. Some of my in-camera jpegs get it right, while others make purple look blue. So I often use Lightroom for color correction.

I put blue cable housing on my '93 purple Trekenstein 5900, as a reference point. But my Nikon jpegs turn the frame into a different tint of blue. My Android phone gets it right, tho.

But I don't like the blue cable housing. The color isn't bad but the cheap SunLite housing compresses too much, and braking feels mushy.

So I'm switching to bright stinking yellow Jagwire or Shimano housing. And hi-viz yellow bar tape. Might as well flaunt that clash between purple and yellow. 😨
Old 06-20-19, 06:59 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
So I was on fleslider's Vintage Centurion site today looking at the catalogs. If you haven't visited his site, you should. Very good site. Anyway, I had the 84 & 85 specs page opened comparing how the models changed. If you look at geometry of the Competition models in 84, the Turbo, Compe TA and Elite RS, they had the same geometry except for the overall wheelbase and chainstay length. The Elite RS had the longest overall wheelbase. 10mm longer than the Turbo because of 10mm longer chainstays.The catalog lists the Compe TA with a 5mm shorter wheelbase than the Turbo despite the rest of the measurements being the same. Could be a misprint.

Then you look at the 85 catalog and compare those models with the 84s. There was some geometry changes between the years. The Prestige is way different than the bike it replaced. The Equipe is way different than any of the previous models. The Elite had some changes as well. If you compare the IM to the 84 models, it's geometry is closer to the Turbo and Elite RS than the Compe TA. Kind of in the middle between the Turbo and Elite RS. Geometry/ride ride wise, the IM's lineage points more towards the Turbo/Elite RS.
Old 06-20-19, 07:34 PM
seypat

If you look at the evolution from 83 on, it becomes more complicated and interesting. In 83, the top model Turbo came with Suntour's 2nd from the top semi group combined with some high level other components from the Maeda componenet mfg group. Let's look at my 83 Turbo as found. It appears to be set up as a serious racer with various components that were considered some of the best of their time.

Campy Record Hubs that are not particularly in mint condition lace to new looking rims with no wear. The freewheel is a Corncobish 12-20 6 speed Regina.
Cinelli Stem and Handlebars
Simplex Retrofricton DT shifters
A first gen Superbe RD with a 80 date code. A first gen Cyclone FD with an 81 date code. Both of these were great derailleurs. Probably cheap to buy/race because the 2nd gen Superbe and Cyclone were on the scene.
That was the way you could do it then. Mix and match whatever worked best. Then we go to 84. Things are changing. I'll continue in another posts so the posts won't be too long.
Old 06-20-19, 07:39 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 175 Posts
Old 06-20-19, 08:58 PM
Kent T

Bikes: 2002 Trek 800 Singletrack, 1982 Bridgestone Spica

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg
Thank you for accepting me into your group of "Real Men" who ride pink and yelow bikes!

I have enough all Crampy Italian, Brit and French bikes!

These are my most outrageous (and only) examples of Japanese rice rockets!

Chas. verktyg
As a cyclist with Cerebral Palsy and Spina Bifida, I have long called Campy, Crampy. Crampagnolo in long form. Love the over the top paint schemes on Ironman bikes. They dared to be different, which I like.
Old 06-20-19, 09:09 PM
seypat

Let's look at 84. When did Shimano come out with Uniglide? I'm guessing it was in 83 or 84. Now's the time to tell you about another bike I bought last year. It's a Condor. The bike is not important, but the story of how the components evolved on it through the years is. The PO kept all of the components that went on it. They were included in the purchase and he talked about the evolution. It started with Campy NR through the 70s. Then he started upgrading with Suntour. He bought a Superbe BB but it didn't fit so the NR crank stayed. Eventually the bike was running Suntour barcons/derailleurs/freewheel and Shimano first gen DA brakes. In the mid 80s the PO sent the bike back to Condor for frame upgrades. The rear was spread, cable guides/shifter bosses were added and it was repainted. When he got it back he upgraded all of the components to a new group. His statement was that he could not afford a new Campy or DA group. They were just too expensive. So he went with Shimano 600EX. I think that is what a lot of people thought at the time.
Old 06-20-19, 09:14 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by Kent T
As a cyclist with Cerebral Palsy and Spina Bifida, I have long called Campy, Crampy. Crampagnolo in long form. Love the over the top paint schemes on Ironman bikes. They dared to be different, which I like.
Those over the top paint jobs are chick magnets. Robbie can vouch for that.
Old 06-20-19, 09:24 PM
Kent T

Bikes: 2002 Trek 800 Singletrack, 1982 Bridgestone Spica

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Originality and style do that to people, especially the female persuasion. I can see this!
Old 06-20-19, 09:26 PM
seypat

So it's 84. Centurion ups the game on the Turbo with the top group from Suntour and those sweet looking brakes/hubs. That's a nice machine. They come with a new bike right under it as well as the Elite RS. The 3 frames are very similar except for the tubing. The Compe TA is the only one with a complete group. It probably shifts better than the Turbo and is cheaper. The lineup looks great, but then those cease & desist letters show up from BF Goodrich and KHS. They have to quit using the Turbo and Compe TA names. Dang it!
Old 06-20-19, 09:27 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by Kent T
Originality and style do that to people, especially the female persuasion. I can see this!
I can vouch for it as well, but people might not believe the stories.

Last edited by seypat; 06-21-19 at 08:43 AM.
Old 06-20-19, 09:42 PM
fleslider 

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 91 Posts
I can't remember who has the Zunow IM. I need to know if the Prestige fork has flutes/ridges/rifling like a Columbus fork. Maybe you could post a pic from the bottom looking up. Please. Pretty please. It would help solve the mystery of my Turbo fork.
Is this what you are looking for Pat?

Old 06-20-19, 09:49 PM
fleslider 

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Some more images of the crown of the Zunow Prestige fork

Old 06-20-19, 09:50 PM
seypat

It's getting closer to 1985 and Centurion has to come up with some new names/models. I can almost hear the boardroom discussions now.

"Ok people, we need ideas. Whaddya got?
"We could make the Turbo even better. Tange has a tube set above 1. We could use that and Shimano's Dura Ace group. It supposed to be the shiznit and the shizzle all in one. It's embarrassingly expensive, but so are most Italian bikes."
" The Tange tubing is called Prestige. We could call it the Prestige."
"The Centurion Prestige..........I like it! Let's do it. Badda bike, badda boom. Next. What about the Compe TA?"

I'll have to talk about the Compe TA in the tomorrow. Bedtime.

Last edited by seypat; 06-20-19 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-20-19, 10:07 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by fleslider
Some more images of the crown of the Zunow Prestige fork

Thanks for the pics. If you look into the steering tube between the blades, are there vertical ridges/flutes in the tube? The reason I am asking is because the 85 catalog lists the Prestige's fork as having a fluted steering tube with investment cast crown. The chrome fork I posted up thread has the ridges. Maybe all of the Prestige forks have ridges.
Old 06-20-19, 10:16 PM
fleslider 

Thanks for the pics. If you look into the steering tube between the blades, are there vertical ridges/flutes in the tube? The reason I am asking is because the 85 catalog lists the Prestige's fork as having a fluted steering tube with investment cast crown. The chrome fork I posted up thread has the ridges. Maybe all of the Prestige forks have ridges.
See post above those pics .. #6856
Old 06-21-19, 04:06 AM
seypat

See post above those pics .. #6856
Thanks again. I missed the first pic somehow. So the Prestige forks do have the ridges. Mystery solved.
Old 06-21-19, 05:09 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Thanks again. I missed the first pic somehow. So the Prestige forks do have the ridges. Mystery solved.
Oh that's cool. Previous Owner Replaced original fork with a top notch fork.
Old 06-21-19, 05:24 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by texaspandj
Oh that's cool. Previous Owner Replaced original fork with a top notch fork.
It might have been the only one Tange recommended as a replacement.
Old 06-21-19, 08:01 AM
seypat

I had a great(at least to me) ending for my IM saga. I had Sam Kinison's "Good answer, good answer" Back to School rant in there during the WSI Compe TA discussion. I copied & refreshed, but somehow lost it. Oh well, here's a shorter summary.

WSI partners with the IM brand and becomes their officially licensed bike.
Dave Scott becomes their top brand rider.
They design a bike that is an affordable, well equipped, all around race bike. The bike can be marketing on 2 fronts. One as a economical value alternative to the really expensive brands. The other as top level destination bike to people upgrading from their 1st or 2nd bike once they are hooked on the tri drug.
They build a marketing campaign around IM, Dave Scott. Dave does his thang riding Centurion bikes. He wins a lot of races.
Centurion sells a lot of bikes.

The end. Hopefully, I got I got it right. Anything else I should add?
Old 06-21-19, 08:09 AM
seypat

Is this what you are looking for Pat?

I have learned something today. Prestige forks have these ridges. They might have different shapes and crowns, but the ridges should be there. For anyone on the lookout for one of those Prestige framed IMs, here is an ID marker.
Old 06-21-19, 08:12 AM
texaspandj

I had a great(at least to me) ending for my IM saga. I had Sam Kinison's "Good answer, good answer" Back to School rant in there during the WSI Compe TA discussion. I copied & refreshed, but somehow lost it. Oh well, here's a shorter summary.

WSI partners with the IM brand and becomes their officially licensed bike.
Dave Scott becomes their top brand rider.
They design a bike that is an affordable, well equipped, all around race bike. The bike can be marketing on 2 fronts. One as a economical value alternative to the really expensive brands. The other as top level destination bike to people upgrading from their 1st or 2nd bike once they are hooked on the tri drug.
They build a marketing campaign around IM, Dave Scott. Dave does his thang riding Centurion bikes. He wins a lot of races.
Centurion sells a lot of bikes.

The end. Hopefully, I got I got it right. Anything else I should add?
Yes one thing you left out. This is proof that there is a geek in everyone .
Old 06-21-19, 08:40 AM
seypat

Yes one thing you left out. This is proof that there is a geek in everyone .
So true.

I'm the right age for the IM saga, but I wasn't a cyclist back then. I think the WF area was kind of a cycling hotbed. They had the HH100. Midwestern State University,(my Alma Mater) had and still has a top level cycling team. Over 20 National Champions

Home - MSU Cycling Team

One of my friends in college was like the main character in Breaking Away minus the Italian obsession. We worked together as Bank Tellers. He was on the cycling team. I had a 10 speed I got from Target. I had to ride it on medical orders to strengthen my Patella tendons after a basketball injury. My brother also had a 10 speed. We rode those around as basic transportation but never more than that.
Old 06-21-19, 09:47 AM
fleslider 

Ahh yes another IronGeek, welcome to the club! @seypat
Old 06-21-19, 09:48 AM
texaspandj

BEFORE.

NOW.
​​​​​​​YAY! , summer is officially here and finally in Texas, reflected in the weather. Hot and heat advisorys are out. I absolutely love summer and it's promise of outdoor fun. Unfortunately it has rained and rained and rained here in Cen-Tex. But apparently all over the U.S. I'm looking forward to (hopefully) No Rain. Our lake and river is completely full. So much so they may cancel the swim portion of next months triathlon. Although I'm not a swimmer, I'm hoping it's a full triathlon.... I need the practice.
Coincidentally, today I ride my Summertime Blues Ironman on my 22 mile hilly route. When I think of summer, I think of blue pool water, the smell of Hawaiian tropic sun tan lotion and fun, fun, fun. Speaking of which, I currently have a good farmers tan, but the easy way, riding and running.
Alright Irongents, let's make this summertime last with only fun as our aim.
Old 06-21-19, 09:51 AM
seypat

BEFORE.

NOW.
​​​​​​​YAY! , summer is officially here and finally in Texas, reflected in the weather. Hot and heat advisorys are out. I absolutely love summer and it's promise of outdoor fun. Unfortunately it has rained and rained and rained here in Cen-Tex. But apparently all over the U.S. I'm looking forward to (hopefully) No Rain. Our lake and river is completely full. So much so they may cancel the swim portion of next months triathlon. Although I'm not a swimmer, I'm hoping it's a full triathlon.... I need the practice.
Coincidentally, today I ride my Summertime Blues Ironman on my 22 mile hilly route. When I think of summer, I think of blue pool water, the smell of Hawaiian tropic sun tan lotion and fun, fun, fun. Speaking of which, I currently have a good farmers tan, but the easy way, riding and running.
Alright Irongents, let's make this summertime last with only fun as our aim.
Purdy! 52 or 54cm frame?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.