Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Speaking of pronunciation... MAFAC

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Speaking of pronunciation... MAFAC

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-16, 05:56 PM
cirp 

Bikes: Univega Super Speciale, Super Strada, Cannondale Caad6 R4000 si, Team Miyatas, Bridgestone RB1,Lotus Cinelli Design Triomphe, Unidentified 60's/70's road bike 1960 Schwinn Continental

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Lascauxcaveman, that was hilarious! My stomACHAY still hurts from laughing. Great post.
Old 03-08-16, 09:11 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Originally Posted by jyl
I would just like to quietly note there is some controversy over whether Canadians actually speak French.

After all, drop your typical French person in Quebec and they won't be able to understand a (spoken) word.
They'll understand some but it's complicated. Most English Canadians were/are taught Parisian French in school instead of Quebec French. Think Queen Elizabeth compared to Michael Caine. The Quebecois language has closer connections to some dialects found in rural France. Acadian French from the east coast varies wildly with a mash-up of dialects and languages (much of which migrated with the Acadian explulsion to Southern US). Manitoba has it's own Metis-French. Even Montreal has a of Haitian patois showing up. It's all grey (poupon)

Have a conversation with a fisherman from the outports of Newfoundland. Yes it's English, no you won't understand half of it.

Last edited by clubman; 03-08-16 at 09:15 PM.
Old 03-08-16, 09:41 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by jyl
I would just like to quietly note there is some controversy over whether Canadians actually speak French.

After all, drop your typical French person in Quebec and they won't be able to understand a (spoken) word.
That is true, but the reverse is not. My wife is French Canadian, and a fluent French speaker, and when in France, had no difficulty communicating.
Old 03-08-16, 10:52 PM
Parabolous

Bikes: Always

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone try Viscount? Vihs-count. Vy-kint/count. Viskint. I pronounce it as Vy-kint, but I usually say Vihs-count just because I'd rather get a "oh yeeaaahh I know what you're talking about" (they don't) than a lengthy argument about why I shouldn't just spring for a newer bike. I've only had one LBS worker correct me and knew about the brand.
Old 06-20-19, 05:01 AM
NOLA Sekai 4K 

Bikes: '73 Gitane Tour de France; '79 Peugeot PKN-10 Competition; '78 Sekai 4000 Pro; '72 Gitane TDF; '72 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts
MAFAC in Fuquay Varina, NC

Originally Posted by ironwood
And there is Fuqua-Varena in North Carolina. Some people were traveling down the East Coast and they saw Fuqua- Varena onthe map and wondered how to pronounce Fuqua. So, when they got to the town they went into a fast food restaurant and asked the girl at the counter "Could you pronounce the name of this place slowly and distinctly?". The girl, with a very straight face said "Bur ger King.".
Wow...love this story. I'm one of the very few that have Mafac brakes AND live in Fuquay Varina, NC...at least for now. The locals here would say..."I don't give a tinkers dam how you pronounce either one... just git on the sidewalk where you belong!".
Old 06-20-19, 05:56 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,702 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrome Molly
Sqeeeahhhhhhhh

They introduce themselves...

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 06-20-19, 09:06 AM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg
de Gaulle "la grande Zohra" is dead so you can blame everything on him!
*Charly de Gaul", please.

and its Maa-fack all the way thrugh.
Old 06-20-19, 11:32 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Sir_Name
I pronounce it as the Aflac duck would.
And I thought I was the only one who pronounced it this way!!!
Old 06-21-19, 06:06 AM
Kent T

Bikes: 2002 Trek 800 Singletrack, 1982 Bridgestone Spica

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg
The city of Worcester in Massachusetts was founded in 1722. It was named after Worcester in the UK. The locals there pronounce it wuuss-tar or wiss-ta...

Nearby is the town of Leicester, Massachusetts founded in 1713. The locals pronounce it less-ta...

Then there's Leominster named after Leominster, Herefordshire pronounced lem-an-sta in Mass.

Lastly, Billerica pronounced brick-ah...

"You Say 'Tomato', I say 'Tomato'..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ3fjQa5Hls

The French say "tomate"

verktyg

Chas.
"Let's Call The Whole Thing Off", said George and Ira Gershwin. This thread sounds like this song, with Velo References thrown in.