Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Idaho stop coming to Oregon

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-23-19, 07:03 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts

We hope...

https://www.oregonlive.com/commuting...33vdof8TJCzUpk
Old 06-23-19, 08:03 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Idaho stop hell. This is well know all over the world and in most parts of the universe as the Pittsburgh stop.

On its fase, the law makes a lot of sense. But it is really far too ambiguous.
Old 06-23-19, 11:29 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
The Idaho Stop, as explained by an Idaho bicycle mounted patrol officer.

Saves some debating over what the Idaho Stop is and isn't.
Old 06-24-19, 04:12 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,226 Times in 1,249 Posts
I usually roll through stops as I can and when safe to do so. I get yelled at by people (usually pick up trucks?). These are folks going the same or opposite direction as me , not cross traffic folks. I don't understand why it is a problems long as you yield to those that have right of way. I sense a growing animosity towards cyclists around here in Southern California since the "share the road" laws came into affect a couple of years ago. I try to stay as far to the right as safe when riding , but still get the occasional horn honking finger waving from those that don't/won't understand the cycling laws. Part of the problem is law enforcement, twice in the last year I have been cut off and brushed by police cars while in bike paths. Joe
Old 06-24-19, 08:35 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
"sidewalks roll up at night" and traffic drops off a lot, here.. (I actually live in Oregon)
Old 06-24-19, 09:46 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Motorists in Georgia have adopted the Idaho Stop as default behavior - rolling through stop signs, blowing through right on red light without even slowing down, etc.

Police don't enforce and I've been yelled at by other motorists when I come to a complete stop for right on red in my car.

I have no problem rolling a stop sign or treating a red light like a stop sign on my bicycle when it makes sense. My conscience is clean.

Sometimes it is safer than waiting because one can clear the intersection and be down the road before the motor vehicles all enter the intersection.

-Tim-
Old 06-24-19, 09:50 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Legislating reality.

Every time a motorist complains to me about bicycles not coming to a full stop at stop signs I offer to meet them at a 4-way stop intersection of their choosing. I offer to give them a dollar for every car that makes a full stop if they'll give me a dollar for every car that doesn't. Nobody has ever wanted to take me up on that offer.
Old 06-24-19, 10:04 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
Idaho stop hell. This is well know all over the world and in most parts of the universe as the Pittsburgh stop.

On its fase, the law makes a lot of sense. But it is really far too ambiguous.

I guess those must be parts of the universe that are beyond the reach of Google.

No more ambiguous than a yield sign- do you have trouble with those?
Old 06-24-19, 10:44 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Seńor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
Never heard of a Pittsburgh stop... Google tells me it is a UofPit merch store. Maybe I live in a different universe than you?

Are you aware that a law allowing bikes to treat stop signs as yield signs, and treat red lights as stop signs, has been on the books in Idaho for years?
Old 06-24-19, 11:17 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Lol, I thought this was going to be a rant against tourism .... "Stay in Idaho, stay out of Oregon!"
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 06-24-19, 11:20 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Sometimes it is safer than waiting because one can clear the intersection and be down the road before the motor vehicles all enter the intersection.

-Tim-
Exactly this. An intersection is a choke-point, the last place you want to add a bike to the equation .... everyone is impatient to go, all the lanes are full of traffic, and you add a bike to that mix? Bad recipe. let them catch me a quarter-mile down the road when traffic is dispersed.
Old 06-24-19, 11:25 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I have no problem rolling a stop sign or treating a red light like a stop sign on my bicycle when it makes sense. My conscience is clean.
Bingo, same here. Can't say I approve of group rides who blow through at 20MPH, but the folks that tap their brakes, pick their heads up, look to see it is clear, and go make all the sense in the world.
Old 06-24-19, 11:45 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Seńor Member

Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 215 Posts
When I stop to think (seldom) it seems that the faster I get through the intersection, the less I am holding anyone else up. People driving BMWs and old Lexuses don't seem to share this logic.
Likes For Wilfred Laurier:
Old 06-24-19, 11:57 AM
Rick

Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 377 Times in 262 Posts
I live in California and treat some stop signs as yield signs. I stop at all lights. There is a light were I make a left turn that recently stopped detecting me. I still make a stop but go ahead when it is clear. I have never been ticketed on a bicycle.
Likes For Rick:
Old 06-24-19, 02:47 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,226 Times in 1,249 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
I live in California and treat some stop signs as yield signs. I stop at all lights. There is a light were I make a left turn that recently stopped detecting me. I still make a stop but go ahead when it is clear. I have never been ticketed on a bicycle.
I actually got pulled over once for doing just that after waiting for the damn light to change , I went ahead and turned when it was clear. I did not get a ticket but a lecture . It was recommended that I get off my bike and use a crosswalk to cross the road! I told the officer to take a cycling class at Ventura College where I took cycling in the seventies, before recommending bad behavior to cyclists. He was not happy with me , but no ticket. Joe
Old 06-24-19, 04:13 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
I actually got pulled over once for doing just that after waiting for the damn light to change , I went ahead and turned when it was clear. I did not get a ticket but a lecture . It was recommended that I get off my bike and use a crosswalk to cross the road! I told the officer to take a cycling class at Ventura College where I took cycling in the seventies, before recommending bad behavior to cyclists. He was not happy with me , but no ticket. Joe
Ame here. My maneuver was perfectly safe. I was basically in the shoulder. Some detective felt the need to pull me over.
Old 06-24-19, 06:30 PM
Rick

My little brother was summoned to court for 23 unpaid tickets he received while riding to work. He was a minor at the time. So dad me and his boss went with him. The judge called my brother up. The judge took a double take of the info scratched his head and said were the hell is the deputy. The judge asked my brother how and why he ran the same light 23 times at the same time every evening. My brother replied I stop at that light on the way to work but it never turns green and I need to get to work. The judge dismissed the tickets.
Old 06-24-19, 06:57 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

My little brother was summoned to court for 23 unpaid tickets he received while riding to work. He was a minor at the time. So dad me and his boss went with him. The judge called my brother up. The judge took a double take of the info scratched his head and said were the hell is the deputy. The judge asked my brother how and why he ran the same light 23 times at the same time every evening. My brother replied I stop at that light on the way to work but it never turns green and I need to get to work. The judge dismissed the tickets.
Was it a red light camera?

-Tim-
Old 06-24-19, 07:10 PM
Rick

Was it a red light camera?
In 1978?
Old 06-24-19, 10:52 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
You must not live near the beach in CA. Two unrelated instances but I’ve been pulled over and warned once and also received a ticket for rolling a stop sign—even after slowing down.
Old 06-25-19, 12:20 AM
Rick

You must not live near the beach in CA. Two unrelated instances but I’ve been pulled over and warned once and also received a ticket for rolling a stop sign—even after slowing down.
I may be crazy but I am not stupid. When I treat a stop sign like a yield sign there is absolutely no traffic, this includes patrol cars.
Old 06-25-19, 06:09 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

In 1978?
Your story didn't mention the year and so the question was legit. There really isn't a need for an attitude.

Anyway, it was a good story. I enjoyed it.

-Tim-
Old 06-25-19, 09:49 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Exactly this. An intersection is a choke-point, the last place you want to add a bike to the equation .... everyone is impatient to go, all the lanes are full of traffic, and you add a bike to that mix? Bad recipe. let them catch me a quarter-mile down the road when traffic is dispersed.
No offense but not wanting to add your bike to the equation is probably not a good thing overall. If you are riding on the road you are most definitely part of the equation and should act accordingly imo.
But I agree that rolling through most stops and certain red lights is quite often the best move.
Old 06-25-19, 10:55 AM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by downhillmaster
No offense but not wanting to add your bike to the equation is probably not a good thing overall. If you are riding on the road you are most definitely part of the equation and should act accordingly imo.
Sometimes in our eagerness to find fault, we overlook common sense.

Obviously so long as I am on my bike on the road I am part of traffic. I am part of traffic even if I am on my street, a dead end, and there are no moving cars within a mile. But that's not the same as me being on my bike at the major intersection three miles from my house where a road with two turn lanes crosses a two-lane road with two turn lanes at a light. if I am at that intersection, a busy intersection, and as is often the case, there are several cars in each lane waiting to go and a steady stream of cars crossing in two lanes and using the right turn-lane and waiting on the left, in each direction ......

Perhaps you can understand the total equation of vehicles on the road, which actually includes every connected road, path, or trail on the entire two continents, and the more localized equation of the total number of cars which are impacted by my immediate presence and are immediately able to impact me.

Clearer, I hope.
Old 06-25-19, 12:39 PM
Rick

Your story didn't mention the year and so the question was legit. There really isn't a need for an attitude.

Anyway, it was a good story. I enjoyed it.
I am still working on the attitude thing and I am over 60.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.